Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities would you choose?
Philadelphia 78 43.33%
Baltimore 23 12.78%
Washington D.C. 79 43.89%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfrednet View Post
Stop spreading bs. DC bars serve till 3AM only two days in a week. The rest of the days 2am is the cut off. Philadelphia has a large number of after hours venues that stay open till 3AM or later. Plus the city has multiple light rail/subway surface that runs 24/7 and heavy rail subways that run 24 hours on weekends. Plus a port authority heavy rail subway that runs 24/7/. People are out at all hours unlike DC.

Ok you win, Philadelphia is Times Square, and DC is Topeka, KS. Sorry for my misconception of these two drastically different places .

DC has 24hr bus service btw, which probably has more riders that time of night than those same Septa heavy rail trains. I guess those buses are just cruising DC streets in the middle of the night for fun ehh?

Last edited by the resident09; 02-03-2016 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
All three cities have 24hr transit either bus or rail. I'm also assuming that all three cities have out and about at any given time day or night.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 PM

313 posts, read 337,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
All three cities have 24hr transit either bus or rail. I'm also assuming that all three cities have out and about at any given time day or night.
Trying not to diverge from topic
,but I would like to see Marc trains be extended to Newark DE.,SEPTA, making travel from DC to Baltimore ,PHilly onto NYC all on public transit .Would be a ton cheaper then Amtrak .That's a small missing link .

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Trying not to diverge from topic
,but I would like to see Marc trains be extended to Newark DE.,SEPTA, making travel from DC to Baltimore ,PHilly onto NYC all on public transit .Would be a ton cheaper then Amtrak .That's a small missing link .
We can only dream. Fortunately the cities are all close enough, and cheap enough to get to that a day trip is possible to and from any of the 4 cities.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
^^That MARC extension has been seriously proposed for the past 4 years now. The problem is that Newark's train station needs to be upgraded to handle additional trains, but that upgrade is contingent on a $10 million grant that doesn't need to be spent until 2018. It also seems that demand, while notable, isn't at the level the officials in charge would like for it to be.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:13 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Food - Philly

Things to Do - Close call between DC and Philly (maybe slight edge to DC because of all the free museums)

Metro - DC because of the way that DC, MD, and VA are interconnected. Lots of things to do, different types of scenery, etc. in one metro area.

Education - If you're talking about public schools K-12, none are good; higher education all have very good universities in their area.

Crime - None great. Philly I think is the safest in terms of statistics. Both Philly and DC, while they have crime, for the most part you know where the "bad areas" are and if you avoid those areas, crime isn't a problem. Baltimore, even downtown doesn't always feel safe, at times you'll see huge groups of teens around the inner harbor and there have been many incidents in even the so-called "tourist spots" over the years. In terms of statistics, Baltimore is by far the worst of these 3 in terms of crime and the Freddy Gray incident and resulting riots have put an even bigger spotlight on the city.

Population -Philly is the largest and has the most "big-city" feel out of the 3

Suburban - Close call between Philly and DC. Both have great suburbs. Philly's are a little older, more historic and quaint feeling. DC's are more modern but still very nice. So it depends on what you're looking for.

Culture and Economy - DC

History - Philly

I would choose Philly out of the 3 because I love its history and the big-city feel it has. I grew up in MD, and have lived in both Baltimore and DC, so part of the reason I would choose Philly is for a new experience. DC is a beautiful city with so much to do. With the easy access to neighboring MD and VA, there are endless things to do. I always love coming back home to the DC area.

Even Baltimore grew on me. When I first moved there for grad school, I hated it (even though growing up in the suburbs, I had gone to the city 100s of times and loved it). I saw some stuff in Baltimore that I've never seen before (ie walking around Lexington Market was a surreal experience at first; witnessing street fights in the middle of downtown; other incidents I won't mention). But Baltimore also has some beautiful areas- fells point, canton, harbor east, federal hill. Spring time in Baltimore was gorgeous around the inner harbor and those other neighborhoods mentioned.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is at 44k downtown, and is the fast growing part of the city. The Baltimore area has also seen economic and job growth.
I asked this in another thread, but never saw any actual statistics: 44,000 seems a bit high to me for "downtown" Baltimore. Which neighborhoods are combined to arrive at the population figure: Inner Harbor? Federal Hill? Mount Vernon? Harbor East? Little Italy? Fells Point? Others?

Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I asked this in another thread, but never saw any actual statistics: 44,000 seems a bit high to me for "downtown" Baltimore. Which neighborhoods are combined to arrive at the population figure: Inner Harbor? Federal Hill? Mount Vernon? Harbor East? Little Italy? Fells Point? Others?
The figures for this came out of a 2014 study commissioned by the Downtown Baltimore BID for their 2014 State of Downtown Baltimore report. It is based on a 1-mile radius of a center point in the central area of the 25 largest US metros.

The central point used to draw the 1-mile radius was Pratt and Light St (41,606 population)

The report is here:
http://baltimoredevelopment.com/wp-c.../2014-SODT.pdf

Claritas did the analysis. You can see how they ranked the 25 largest cities by downtown population from 1-mile radius of center point as well.

Last edited by revitalizer; 02-04-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
What neighborhoods did Philly use to reach 185k?

Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM

313 posts, read 337,014 times
http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/SOCC2015.pdf There is a map inside but university district is not included in this report .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City