Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
DC has the capitals, sort of in the maryland and virginia college basketball market,nationals should be winning world series but always disappoint. offh the tip of my head I would say I would say philly is the worst, nyc is really bad and miami since lebron left
The Mets just made the World Series, and were competitive. The Yanks also finally made the playoffs last year. Both NHL teams made the playoffs last year, while the Jets just missed them this year in football. I don't think NYC belongs on this list at all. The Marlins were garbage, Dolphins were sub 500, Panthers didn't qualify. But the Heat are looking playoff worthy this year, so Miami isn't worse than Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The Mets just made the World Series, and were competitive. The Yanks also finally made the playoffs last year. Both NHL teams made the playoffs last year, while the Jets just missed them this year in football. I don't think NYC belongs on this list at all. The Marlins were garbage, Dolphins were sub 500, Panthers didn't qualify. But the Heat are looking playoff worthy this year, so Miami isn't worse than Philly.
very true about nyc and the mets, weird that the mets are the big team in nyc but alderson made some excellent moves after the all star break and they left the nationals in the dust in the second half of the year.

I would say DC has the most disappointing sports teams for sure, the nationals spend a fortune and never make it to the world series, capitals have probably the best player in hockey in ovechkin and loads of talent but never win the cup, redskins are almost always mediocre but played in a wretched division this year and made the playoffs

come to think of it add dallas to the list of mediocrity, cowboys are supposed to be americas team and when was the last time they were in the super bowl or they even win the nfc title, they barely make it into the playoffs anymore and they never go anywhere when they do.

atlanta should be in there, braves arent doing anything and falcons arent much, the hawks never seem to go far, though they do have some very cool stadiums being built. looking forward to mercedes benz stadium and the new baseball field

Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
The Southeast as a region on the whole and I am counting all 5 professional sports leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS). The reason for this is that relative to the massive population of the region, they tend to lack success year-over-year.

Observe.

Southeast (NC, SC, TN, KY, GA, AL, MS) Total Titles with currently available professional sports teams: 3
- Atlanta Braves (MLB): 1 (1995)
- Carolina Hurricanes (NHL): 1 (2006)
- Carolina Panthers (NFL): 1 (2016)**

* I went ahead and already included the one for this year because it seems like Carolina is poised to win it but I put an asterisk around it because it is something that is subject to change. The Southeast has 54 million people and 9 professional sports teams (Memphis Grizzlies, Nashville Predators, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Hurricane, Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Hornets, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, and Atlanta Hawks). With an MLS team being added in the coming years (Atlanta). They definitely have more than enough teams to get the titles, but they just haven't been all too successful at executing a title run so far. It is a bit cushioned though because college sports seem to be just as big a deal in the Southeast as professional sports. So there is always that.

Then look at other "Southern" cities that are in TX, FL, LA, and OK:
- Dallas: 7 (5 NFL, 1 NBA, 1 NHL)
- Miami: 7 (3 NBA, 2 NFL, 2 MLB)
- San Antonio: 5 (5 NBA)
- Houston: 4 (2 NBA, 2 MLS)
- Tampa: 2 (1 NFL, 1 NHL)
- New Orleans: 1 (NFL)

Orlando, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville among cities with professional sports don't have titles to their name for TX, FL, LA, and OK.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Chargers went 4-12. Padres suck. Gulls can't beat out of a paper bag. We don't have any other teams. I'd say SD wins.
Also, due to the millions of transplants that found themselves in SoCal, SD and OC teams + Clippers don't even have a real homecourt/homefield advantage.

It's shameful

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
very true about nyc and the mets, weird that the mets are the big team in nyc but alderson made some excellent moves after the all star break and they left the nationals in the dust in the second half of the year.

I would say DC has the most disappointing sports teams for sure, the nationals spend a fortune and never make it to the world series, capitals have probably the best player in hockey in ovechkin and loads of talent but never win the cup, redskins are almost always mediocre but played in a wretched division this year and made the playoffs

come to think of it add dallas to the list of mediocrity, cowboys are supposed to be americas team and when was the last time they were in the super bowl or they even win the nfc title, they barely make it into the playoffs anymore and they never go anywhere when they do.

atlanta should be in there, braves arent doing anything and falcons arent much, the hawks never seem to go far, though they do have some very cool stadiums being built. looking forward to mercedes benz stadium and the new baseball field
And the other teams?

Old 02-06-2016, 10:13 AM

I think the south has alot of new metros, college sports is huge down there. alabama is a dynasty in college football, unc duke, kentucky etc in college basketball. alot of those college football games get more attendance than most nfl games, tennessee, lsu,texas and alabama get 100,000+ attendance , like michigan and ohio state up north

Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
I think the south has alot of new metros, college sports is huge down there. alabama is a dynasty in college football, unc duke, kentucky etc in college basketball. alot of those college football games get more attendance than most nfl games, tennessee, lsu, and alabama get 100,000+ attendance , like michigan and ohio state up north
Yes, definitely. The presence of a very large college sports fanbase and relative success at college sports is definitely a cushion for the Southeast.

Because when you move away from college sports to professional ones, the sports gods have been uniformly brutal on that entire region of America as a whole. Only 3 titles combined and 1 of those is counting one for this year for a game that hasn't even been played yet. For Carolina's sake, lets hope they win it. The region as a whole seldom ever wins. To make it case in point, the San Francisco Giants and Chicago Blackhawks, each, in the last 5 years alone have already exceeded the titles of the Southeast region put together.

Time to start winning, no? Winning is where sports fans come from.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM

I am surprised that southern pro teams havent dominated like they do in college, 13 of the last 15 football titles were won by southern teams and 10 of the last 15 ncaa basketball titles. texas and florida are huge for recruiting and tons of sec players inthe super bowl, pro sports is all about owners and how much they want to spend. nationals spend a fortune and it still doesnt help

It is great to see two sunbelt teams in the super bowl, should be one of the better super bowls I hope

Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
All Dallas had is the Cowboys. And the only "huge" years in the Mavs is with Dirk. Similarly, all Chicago has is the Bulls. The Bears the oldest field in NFL history, but I mean what has the team done. I will put Chicago higher than the other cities being that they got championships to speak (including the White Sox beating the Astros) so it's fair to put Chicago above Houston Dallas and Seattle. But Chicago isn't up there with NYC and SF and definitely not Boston
I was in Chicago last year. I could have sworn that we got caught up in the celebration for the Blackhawks. Yeah, they won the Stanley Cup last year. If memory serves me correctly, the captured the Cup in 2013 and 2010.

Please, defecate on Chicago for a different reason.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:52 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Atlanta anyone? 1 championship in 1995 when the Braves won that years World Series.

The last time any of the big 4 teams there played in a championship final was the Braves in 1999.

The Thrashers left for Winnipeg in 2011 and had only a single division title to show for their time in the city.

The Hawks have been a constant playoff team for about 8 years now but only have one Conference Finals appearance to show for it, and their history beforehand is not very good.

The Falcons do have a Super Bowl appearance but that was 17 years ago and they have only been able to muster just 1 playoff win in the Matt Ryan era that includes two times as the top seed in the NFC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City