Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 04:53 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Far off from where? Glenwood Park is a mile from downtown and is in between two dense neighborhoods of Grant Park and East Atlanta. It's right on the beltline.
Not far off in terms of it being "Far" off; Of course it's all approachable by car, I was just saying it was developed in an odd spot. A Urban development, surrounded by Suburban development, outside of EAV. It's walkable, but you're going to be walking awhile getting from one spot to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Please say that again, because these people clearly aren't getting it...
Ok, Fort Worth is not Dallas.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
They Keep saying its a walkable shopping center ignoring everything else.
People seem to agree with me. And no, I'm not ignoring anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While nice, this is exactly what Atlantic Station seems like to me. As you described it, seems pretty accurate. Although having the parking garages underground was a pretty solid ideal....
^

Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

^
There are many more who disagree.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:

^
Obviously AS has shopping but it also has residential, office, and hotel space--hence, it is a mixed-use development. That was the whole point of building it.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There are many more who disagree.
Welcome to City-Data
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Obviously AS has shopping but it also has residential, office, and hotel space--hence, it is a mixed-use development. That was the whole point of building it.
I know that. Doesn't change anything to me. Every one of these developments are glorified shopping malls with apartments on top unless better integrated into the street grid.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Welcome to City-Data

I know that. Doesn't change anything to me. Every one of these developments are glorified shopping malls with apartments on top unless better integrated into the street grid.
There was no pre-existing street grid; it's a brownfield New Urbanist development that connects to the neighborhood to the south of it. But whether ot not you acknowledge what it truly is has no bearing on the fact that it is a mixed-use district.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There was no pre-existing street grid; it's a brownfield New Urbanist development that connects to the neighborhood to the south of it. But whether ot not you acknowledge what it truly is has no bearing on the fact that it is a mixed-use district.
Yeah it was a steel yard or whatever, a huge eyesore. Built from scratch. I heard that. It's a great improvement over what was there before. But my opinion is still the same. It's not a neighborhood, it's a development.

Last edited by JMT; 03-02-2016 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Houston is not part of this thread.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
Quote:
Atlanta has absolutely no room to talk. I remember when someone told me about Atlantic Station, it's a outdoor mall lol.
Quote:
It's still an outdoor mall. These developments are all over the country and as far as I know they are all pretty much the same. Vibrant on weekends and pretty dead after the stores close. Atlantic Station is in the core of Atlanta yet still cut off from the rest of the core. I know MARTA serves it, but the urban fabric isn't there.

It reminds me of an older looking City Centre in Houston, which is built very similar but pretty dead outside of restaurants when I went. There's office space, condos, hotels, etc as well. And it's farther from Downtown Houston than Atlantic Station is to downtown Atlanta. No real neighborhood feel. We have a similar development in Baton Rouge called Perkins Rowe, it has condos, office space, bars, etc. But it's just an urban mixed use development in a sea of surburbia. River Ranch in Lafayette, LA is the same.

Something like South Market District in downtown New Orleans is a better representation of an urban development like that. Still part of the street grid and people walk there from neighboring hoods.

Would it be correct to say that most people drive to and from Atlantic Station moreso than they walk or primarily use MARTA? That's how City Centre and Perkins Rowe function.

I've been to Atlanta more than a couple times and really like it and the small downtowns that dot the metro area but never Atlantic Station.
Quote:
So is City Centre, Perkins Rowe, and River Ranch. I still consider them outdoor malls for the most part.

Guess you missed the part where I said that.
Quote:
Mmmm my point exactly.
Quote:
Yeah it was a steel yard or whatever, a huge eyesore. Built from scratch. I heard that. It's a great improvement over what was there before. But my opinion is still the same. It's not a neighborhood, it's a development.
Following post after post of you saying Atlantic Station was an outdoor mall, now you claim your opionion was that it's a development. Which is exactly what most of us have advised you all along. lol

Old 03-01-2016, 04:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
These are the facts. It's not a outdoor mall

Atlantic Station is the sustainable and mixed-use redevelopment of the historic Atlantic Steel Mill in Midtown Atlanta. With a 12.5M square foot master plan that stretches across its 138-acres, Atlantic Station is one of the largest urban brownfield redevelopments in the country. First conceived by Jacoby at the Summer Olympics, Atlantic Station is currently home to 5,000 residents and over 7,000 employees in the approximately 1.5M square feet of retail, 1.5M square feet of Class-A office space, 3,000 residential units and the 101-room hotel built on-site. The winner of EPA’s prestigious Phoenix Award and a number of other real estate accolades, Atlantic Station is a “smart growth” model for how people can live, work and play in a new community that improves the land, air and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City