Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you think compares best to Oklahoma City
Indianapolis 27 16.67%
Sacramento 2 1.23%
Louisville 9 5.56%
Memphis 2 1.23%
Birmingham 4 2.47%
Omaha 43 26.54%
Albuquerque 5 3.09%
Little Rock 23 14.20%
Wichita 30 18.52%
Bakersfield 5 3.09%
Amarillo 12 7.41%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is it not like KC or Dallas, but smaller? I would think they'd look the most like OKC. When I flew to Austin once we flew over OKC and Dallas and they looked a lot alike, except Dallas seemingly had more river dams/"lakes".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think Dallas definitely, KC is more solidly Midwestern. But yes both are still much more similar to OKC than Indy is. Why they were left out of the poll I don't know.
We already went over this and Spade pretty much summed it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 12:56 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We already went over this and Spade pretty much summed it up.
I do think that what they were trying to say is that OKC is more similar to cities closer to it than it is to Indianapolis. If so, I can understand that position. But outside of that, well.....

Old 03-06-2016, 01:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You will never find a post where is said or even insinuated that OKC was a bad or inferior city. Peter you have to get it into that head of yours that people other than yourself have traveled extensively. I've been OKC and there is nothing about the city that remotely reminds me of Indy. So please tell me what makes you think the two cities are similar?
True. That's how I see it. Indy is a city firmly entrenched in the Midwest through and through.

OK City, on the other hand, is a Southern/Southwestern hybrid. OK City definitely has a different vibe than Indy. I think that's mostly due to a difference in overall culture.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I think Dallas definitely, KC is more solidly Midwestern. But yes both are still much more similar to OKC than Indy is. Why they were left out of the poll I don't know.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Outside of topography, OKC isn't much like Dallas at all. It's like Fort Worth.
^^^

This sums it up. People from this area of the country (South-Central) know that FTWorth would be winning this poll by a landslide had it been included in the original list.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is it not like KC or Dallas, but smaller? I would think they'd look the most like OKC. When I flew to Austin once we flew over OKC and Dallas and they looked a lot alike, except Dallas seemingly had more river dams/"lakes".
An odd proposition, because Dallas and Kansas City are not alike in my way. Of the 2, I think OKC is more like KC than it is like Dallas, but is pretty clearly more influenced by Dallas than KC. Does that make sense?

Wichita is the city that strikes me as most like OKC, size-difference not withstanding. In the same way Omaha and Des Moines are a lot like KC, regardless of their small size.

I also think it would be weird to posit that OKC is more like KC than Indy, since Indy and KC are very, very similar, only Indy is a little smaller, about one gradient less old-school urban, and a bit more conservative culturally...which are all things that could also be said of OKC vis-a-vis KC. So it would seem to me that OKC is more like Indy than KC by most metrics, though not particularly like either.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:08 PM

102 posts, read 128,782 times
I think san antonio is a good comparision also. Surprised no one has said this.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
I think san antonio is a good comparision also. Surprised no one has said this.
Nah

Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 PM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
I've looked in on this thread off and on for about a week now..

Other than quality of life and national prominence, Omaha and Oklahoma City are not alike- pretty much at all..

A different feel and vibe Omaha vs OKC.. I've been amused at how Omaha has garnered so many votes here. I live in Omaha and have visited Oklahoma City a ton of times. I've also been to Amarillo and Fort Worth Texas many times. To me, the answer is Oklahoma City is most like a combination of those 2 Texas cities.

In my opinion, like Omaha, OKC is also not like San Antonio or Kansas City either..

Peace...

Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
An odd proposition, because Dallas and Kansas City are not alike in my way. Of the 2, I think OKC is more like KC than it is like Dallas, but is pretty clearly more influenced by Dallas than KC. Does that make sense?
I don't think KC and Dallas are polar opposites. Of all the Midwestern cities, KC is probably more akin to Dallas than anywhere else is in the Midwest. What other city in the Midwest has rodeos? Also- barbecue, "cow town" history, etc. OKC shares some of these attributes with both cities.

Quote:
Wichita is the city that strikes me as most like OKC, size-difference not withstanding. In the same way Omaha and Des Moines are a lot like KC, regardless of their small size.
Agreed.

Quote:
I also think it would be weird to posit that OKC is more like KC than Indy, since Indy and KC are very, very similar, only Indy is a little smaller, about one gradient less old-school urban, and a bit more conservative culturally...which are all things that could also be said of OKC vis-a-vis KC. So it would seem to me that OKC is more like Indy than KC by most metrics, though not particularly like either.
Well there's a few differences. First, while Indy gets a bad rap for being sprawling, it actually has more than double the population density of OKC, and more than 50% denser than KC. Here is the population density of each city based on 2010 data:

Indy: 2,270ppsm
KC: 1,489ppsm
OKC: 1,022ppsm

So in this regard KC and OKC are more similar.

Also, KC and Indy's city proper demographics are remarkably similar, across the board. However, when you look at the metro area, both OKC and KC have much higher Hispanic/Latino populations. In fact I think KC metro has the highest Hispanic population as a proportion to the overall population of any Midwestern city besides Chicago. Marion County/Indianapolis has a Hispanic population of about 9% but none of the other counties in the metro have Hispanic populations greater than 3.8%. In KC you have Jackson County which is about 9%, JoCo which is 8% and WyCo which is about 16%. Those figures are all probably higher now in 2016.

Not that this is a huge factor but it's one notable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City