Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best skyline outside of downtown?
Country Club Plaza Area (Kansas City) 8 2.49%
Clayton (St. Louis) 25 7.79%
Dallas Galeria Area 14 4.36%
Las Colinas (Dallas) 2 0.62%
Century City (Los Angeles) 46 14.33%
Buckhead (Atlanta) 93 28.97%
Bellevue (Seattle) 59 18.38%
Houston Galleria Area 74 23.05%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

More Uptown Dallas:

Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Like the rest of Seattle Bellevue is made to look very good because of the Mountain backdrop and the water. But, take that away and I don't think it's any comparision to Buckhead.

Out of these skylines I wonder which ones are actually in the city they belong to and which ones are in a surburb? Buckhead is actually inside Atlanta about 8 miles from downtown.

One thing for certain, areas like this tend to be booming. So, I wouldn't be surprised if all these skylines are even more impressive in the next five years.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Most cities aren't huge sprawling beasts like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta, meaning 8 miles outside of the CBD of most cities and typically you are well into the suburbs. Bellevue's CBD is about 6.5 miles as the crow flies to Seattle's CBD, but it is a totally distinct city.

You are definitely correct about booming, Bellevue's skyline was paltry just 6-7 years ago. It has essentially doubled in size since 2000. The amount of construction going on is ridiculous.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
IT sure is, but I think if I had the opportunity to change my vote it would be Bellevue...with that pic. from above ^.
That does look like a good skyline, but when I looked it up I don't find anything that compares to it.
I'm frankly very iffy on this subject, as I'm not very familiar with all these skylines.
Las Colinas is not impressive...only a little if you go the right angle at which you can see a set of cool glass buildings, and a building with neon blue, and of course that tall one, for a suburb it is definitely not bad.
Dallas Galleria I see daily fron the distance and looks to be what i see as the best prior to that Bellevue and Houston picture... but Its is hard to judge without good pictures
The Houston one looks to be nice, it has that one tall one which stands which makes it look very weird, it overpowers the rest of the buildings, making it seem as if there is only that one building and no skyline...Now that i look it up I think It is probably the 2nd best after bellevue in that pic above (which when i look for bellevue, it doesn't seem as impressive) so it may in fact be 1st.
Century city also seems to be pretty stong too
Now that I take a look, Some of these are way better the Dallas Galleria...
Buckhead would take my first place...hehe.. reminds me of the Dallas skyline cause of the Green

Uh oh! Watch out! A sensitive Dallas poster may give you a negative rep point for that. I sure did get one for making a similar comment about Las Colinas reminding me of Houston's Greenspoint District. Both are large and near airports. Both attract companies that want to be near the airport.

The comment was:
Quote:
Why are you constantly attacking Dallas? This is a flame, if you can't tyr and something bad without sounding like an ignorant uneducated child, don't say anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Most cities aren't huge sprawling beasts like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta, meaning 8 miles outside of the CBD of most cities and typically you are well into the suburbs. Bellevue's CBD is about 6.5 miles as the crow flies to Seattle's CBD, but it is a totally distinct city.

You are definitely correct about booming, Bellevue's skyline was paltry just 6-7 years ago. It has essentially doubled in size since 2000. The amount of construction going on is ridiculous.
That's actually about how far Uptown Houston is from Downtown Houston.

And another shot of Uptown Houston:

Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
[/b]

Uh oh! Watch out! A sensitive Dallas poster may give you a negative rep point for that.
I know exactly what you mean!!! I got a neg rep for apologizing once... it was on a different part of the forum... I think the political one.
But just ignore those people, they can't take but one rep away from you, anyways... Rep is just a number on your screen...at the end of the day...what difference does it make?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Don't forget Houston's other skyline. The Texas Medical Center.

There are also several other skyscrapers. Here's a picture of Houston.

That's downtown on the right, Midtown in the middle, the TMC on the left, and several other high rises in between.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM

79 posts, read 409,268 times
More Buckhead (by Atlantaholic and Scania of skyscraperpage.com)...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
If Houston's TMC Skyline was in this; I'd pick it because it has amazing density.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Like the rest of Seattle Bellevue is made to look very good because of the Mountain backdrop and the water. But, take that away and I don't think it's any comparision to Buckhead.

Out of these skylines I wonder which ones are actually in the city they belong to and which ones are in a surburb? Buckhead is actually inside Atlanta about 8 miles from downtown.
When you actually are in the Bellevue Square district it's not that impressive. Agree with you from a panoramic distance, when the mountains & water are put together in perspective, of course it looks good.
Bellevue, WA is a separate suburb, not part of Seattle proper.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post

Atlanta may be a sprawling beast when it comes to it's surburbs but with only 130 square miles it's city proper is no comparision to Houston, Dallas, or even Kansas City. There are many cities around Atlantas size or less that you could easily travel 8 miles through without being in the burbs.

Atlanta does have it's surburban skylines as well in addition to Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead in the city.

Cumberland/Galleria

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/GalleriaCenter.jpg (broken link)

Sandy Springs

[]

Last edited by Galounger; 02-12-2008 at 03:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City