Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one
Philly 20 33.90%
Seattle 20 33.90%
Austin 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:51 AM

73 posts, read 122,831 times

Advertisements

Here is another comparisons for a better Qol, fun place, for a single black male (27) in the It Field.

I am from Atlanta originally from NJ, lived in Boston for 3 years (I did not like), and just want to live somewhere else new where I can start over. Atlanta is great in a hip way, but my soul is itching to get out. I have created other threads here for city relocations, but now I want to see what I can get from these cities. I will be changing careers to web development next year and looking for 1 br or studio for $1000-1300.

I want to live in a place where it is fun, lot of events and things to do, very social, diverse, and has a good interracial dating pool. I love urban and gritty but I also like calm relax open areas. I am a laid back, free thinking, and attracted to creatives and hip environments. Weather is not an issue for me, but then again i have never had cloudy days for 9 months straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Your budget will go much further in Philly than the other two. If I remember correctly from the other thread, you're black? You will fit in more in Philly for sure. Philly is definitely the most urban and grittiest out of these three, but also the closest to beaches (NJ). All have some type of outdoor activities right nearby and/or in the city. Seattle is not a very social city. And by that I mean there's a reason the term "Seattle Freeze" exists.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM

108 posts, read 134,091 times
Is the Seattle Freeze really a thing?

I have pondered moving there in the near future if I ever do move out to the West Coast. I have family there but they're older (50s) and not so much into the 20/30 social scene. I've been many times but visiting is different from living.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyFood View Post
Is the Seattle Freeze really a thing?

I have pondered moving there in the near future if I ever do move out to the West Coast. I have family there but they're older (50s) and not so much into the 20/30 social scene. I've been many times but visiting is different from living.
I've never lived there, but I know a lot of people from there. It's not 100% true every single time, but I do see what people mean by it. Even those I would consider really close friends from there have a different way of showing that friendship that is a bit colder and more distant. Maybe it's just the ones I know, though, because like I said I never lived there. If someone who has moved there would like to comment and rebut this, feel free to. You know more than I do for sure and I don't claim to be an expert on this.

You also have to think of the type of people attracted to the city. The more intellectual, nature-loving, quirky kinda people tend to be quieter. The city is also attracting the tech scene heavily which has a lot of socially awkward individuals. Again, exceptions to every stereotype. Not everyone would be like that there, but the term does exist and I don't think I've heard of something similar for any other city.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Wow so much love for philly . This is a really tough choice because I also feel that the vibe in Seattle would fit me.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Philly. You'll get miserable when you realize just how long the grey season in Seattle is. Great Summers, but the fall and winters are just miserable. Beautiful city though, but the weather there always keeps me away.

Austin is overrated in my opinion and does not stack up to these two cities.

Last edited by Ant131531; 03-28-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM

290 posts, read 288,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
Wow so much love for philly . This is a really tough choice because I also feel that the vibe in Seattle would fit me.
I second the others and say Philly. I've lived in Seattle for ages and while the area has its pockets of diversity, the city is becoming whiter and there is little indication of that trend changing. And if gray skies for days on end concern you, this isn't the place.

If it wasn't so insanely expensive, I'd suggest Oakland. From what you describe, it would be a good fit for you not just socially, but also from a career perspective. And the weather is second to none.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
ooh, yes. I'd second Oakland! And take Austin off your list; if you must consider it, at a minimum, come a visit for a week before deciding.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Seattle; it's Urban but not as smothering as Philly, Seattle also has better outdoor activities as well. But I'd also throw in Oakland as well instead of Austin.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
ooh, yes. I'd second Oakland! And take Austin off your list; if you must consider it, at a minimum, come a visit for a week before deciding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Seattle; it's Urban but not as smothering as Philly, Seattle also has better outdoor activities as well. But I'd also throw in Oakland as well instead of Austin.

Really guys ! I thought Oakland was pretty bad? I did wanted to go there a long time ago, but got discourage from all the gang violence was hearing, has it changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City