Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I didn't mean to bash Delaware, but most of its home value is based on its location. The entire state is basically a Philadelphia Suburban. According to that link that you posted, Delaware is outperformed economically, by two of its three neighboring states.
Quote:
I haven't done to read the research to determine whether not Delaware is relative high income is based on Delaware businesses, or the fact that a larger than average percentage of his residents actually work in another state. These things are rather complicated.

Also, quite literally, couldn't care less about Delaware, and won't be discussing it further.
Well that's your prerogative, but some of us actually do care about Delaware. And more importantly, a lot of us actually care about factual information, which your recent posts have not been perpetuating.

One, the entire state of Delaware is not suburban Philadelphia. Sussex County is MD's territory (not even Baltimore, but the Eastern Shore), but I wouldn't classify even New Castle County as a Philadelphia suburb. It is cost prohibitive for many people to live in Delaware and work in Philadelphia, even with SEPTA, so there's that. We are heavily influenced by and linked with Philly, but Wilmington and northern/central Delaware stands on its own, especially economically.

Two, yes, these things are rather complicated--which is why I don't understand why you can make blanket statements about Delaware's source of high income, and discount the wealth of many of its residents. From anecdotal experience, I'd say the vast majority of workers who reside in this state work in this state. When someone tells you that they work in Philadelphia, Elkton, MD, etc., those convos tend to stand out more than usual. Since I can't find that exact statistic myself (DE workers in-state vs out-of-state), I've provided a link to the Bureau of Labor Statistics if you wish to actually back up your "hunches".

Delaware Economy at a Glance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
I haven't done to read the research to determine whether not Delaware is relative high income is based on Delaware businesses, or the fact that a larger than average percentage of his residents actually work in another state. These things are rather complicated.

Also, quite literally, couldn't care less about Delaware, and won't be discussing it further.
If you are admitting you haven't done the research then why comment as if you had?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Memphis, Houston, Miami, Louisville, Washington DC, Denver, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and the Twin Cities to start.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
The recent thread about metro area's punching below their weight, made me think: What does that mean exactly? What is the standard to judge this by? How can we determine what metro area's are at the center of the spectrum and are punching right where they should punch?
Good question. The funny thing to me about those threads, was that I found I was largely in agreement about a huge percentage of the cities that were listed by people (on both the punching "above" and "below" threads), and yet, many of the cities offered were people's completely subjective opinions, as opposed to any quantitative or qualitative data.

I found them to be good threads with lots of interesting perspectives. I think this city vs city sub forum actually provides a lot of more detailed responses about various cities' economic, cultural and demographic drivers than you can often find on the specific city's forum (where it seems most people pose their questions). I would encourage people who are researching a city for any reason to check out, and search, this forum just the same as they would the city specific forum.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
If you are admitting you haven't done the research then why comment as if you had?
And now that I've done five minutes worth of research, I see that Deleware's non-farm, private sector wages rank 34th nationally.

http://stats.bls.gov/sae/eetables/sae_annavg415.pdf

Old 04-01-2016, 10:37 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Memphis, Houston, Miami, Louisville, Washington DC, Denver, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and the Twin Cities to start.
Houston and Charlotte punch above their weight economically for sure, if you're looking at GDP.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Houston and Charlotte punch above their weight economically for sure, if you're looking at GDP.

DC also punches above it's weight, not at it (at least GDP wise), in comparison to a city like Chicago.

I don't think that GDP is the only measure here however. There is something to be said when you actually live in/ visit a city or metro area where you can tell if it punches at/above/ or below its weight, from an amenities standpoint.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC also punches above it's weight, not at it (at least GDP wise), in comparison to a city like Chicago.

I don't think that GDP is the only measure here however. There is something to be said when you actually live in/ visit a city or metro area where you can tell if it punches at/above/ or below its weight, from an amenities standpoint.
I think that gets tricky when it comes to tourist cities in particular. If a city has a lot of amenities it wouldn't otherwise have due to a large tourist base, I wouldn't necessarily say that it punches above its weight economically.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Completely disagree with the first paragraph. Couldn't agree more with the second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that gets tricky when it comes to tourist cities in particular. If a city has a lot of amenities it wouldn't otherwise have due to a large tourist base, I wouldn't necessarily say that it punches above its weight economically.
Like DC's museums, monuments and Zoo?

Old 04-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Like DC's museums, monuments and Zoo?
Yes but obviously DC is unique as the nation's capital; it was created for that purpose. I was thinking more along the lines of Vegas, Orlando, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City