Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Seattle 70 74.47%
Oakland 24 25.53%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry but as a Polynesian who hosts Polynesians going back decades from everywhere in the ocean, I have yet to receive a visitor from Hawaii, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Tahiti etc in the summer that has not gushed about loving the weather here--to be cool, not sweaty and comfortable. They love being able to put on make up and do their hair without it sweating away, they adore sleeping with a blanket, they love sitting in the house without feeling steamy, they love being out in the sun and not being hot. Things we take for granted.

Thats why I dont get your insistence that people from Hawaii would be sooo unhappy at the weather here-Ive never ever EVER seen that.
I did insist anything of the sort, what are you talking about? I simply pointed out how Oakland has some of the coldest summer evening/night temps of any US city then you brought your anecdotal evidence about your relatives. So I shared my experience with my relatives from Hawaii, they all think it's too cool at night and in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Your whole argument is because of the inland east bay suburbs which experience periodic heat waves into the upper 90's/low 100's all summer long? I think most people would take mid 70's to low 80's most of the summer over that anyways.

Safeway is in Pleasanton btw, not Oakland.
No, my argument is NOT based on the heat waves of Oaklands suburbs. It is based on Oakland suburbs being normally warmer and sunnier than Seattle And combined with highs in the 70s and low 80's of central Oakland.

Yes I know Safeway is in Pleasanton but they Were in Oakland for many decades.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
No, my argument is NOT based on the heat waves of Oaklands suburbs. It is based on Oakland suburbs being normally warmer and sunnier than Seattle And combined with highs in the 70s and low 80's of central Oakland.

Yes I know Safeway is in Pleasanton but they Were in Oakland for many decades.
You didn't understand my point. Yes I realize that you are using the suburbs weather but they experience periodic heat waves which isn't really a positive thing for most people, that is what I was pointing out about the climate in that part of the Bay Area. Using that microclimate doesn't really help your argument.

Oakland's average highs are in the low 70's and nowhere near the low 80's.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Sav858, I am absolutely using Oakland suburbs in this comparison as the are normally sunnier and warmer than Seattle and that is not including its occasional heat waves.

Also , Seattle is very cold cool in night and morning national speaking.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Sav858, I am absolutely using Oakland suburbs in this comparison as the are normally sunnier and warmer than Seattle and that is not including its occasional heat waves.

Also , Seattle is very cold cool in night and morning national speaking.
Again, I get that and again its not helping your argument, they're a little too warm for a lot of people and part of that is because of those frequent heat waves. I think more people would prefer a high of 76 versus 86.

It's lows are similar to Oakland but the difference is Oakland cools off much earlier.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I would put most of the categories in favor of Seattle and sometimes by large margins except for higher education (Berkeley), people (fine and interesting people in each), and climate (East Bay has better climate than Seattle and the best climate in the Bay Area though it's true that Seattle summers are glorious with clear skies, moderate temperatures and daylight hours that go on forever). If you were to ask me where I'd rather live though, it's pretty much a toss-up.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Seattle is also pretty mesirable above 85F because the humidity dew points are higher in Seattle as it is surrounded by water.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Seattle is also pretty mesirable above 85F because the humidity dew points are higher in Seattle as it is surrounded by water.
And Oakland isn't surrounded by water? SF isn't surrounded by water?

Old 04-18-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
And Oakland isn't surrounded by water? SF isn't surrounded by water?
Oakland is NOT SURROUNDED by water like Seattle. Oakland is 10 degrees warmer than SF on average in the summer and many Oakland suburbs are 20 degrees warmer than SF on average. The microclimates of NorCal are dramatic within 2-3 miles, 5-10 miles , 15-20 miles and/or just 15 minute drive the range of temps can be huge.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Do you have proof of this? I'd image when its hot in Seattle its a dry heat just like it is in Oakland. The water is around the same chilly temp the Bay Area's water, colder I think actually, so dewpoints are not going to be any higher than the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City