Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a Nerdier atmosphere?
Pittsburgh, Pa 15 57.69%
Richmond, Va 12 46.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:58 AM

13 posts, read 13,760 times

Advertisements

Between Pittsburgh and Richmond which is more nerd-friendly and has a bigger presence of Pop culture?

Which City has the most or any of the following:

Record stores

Bookstores and Comic shops

Bars or Cafes with Trivia nights

Bars or Cafes with a Pop-Culture theme

Bar Arcades/ Arcades

Video Game stores & Board Game shops

Independent theaters

Drive-in theaters

Theaters that show old movies/horror movies

Museums or attractions centered toward science or history

Shops with Items like Think Geek

anything else related to movies, video games, music, comics, history, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 AM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Pittsburgh is more blue collar and working class, so I would say Richmond wins.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:09 PM

13 posts, read 13,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not sure why Blue Collar equates people with no interests. A lot of areas that are blue collar have bars and are family friendly and have shopping, theaters and things for kids and teens to do.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,052,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Pittsburgh has Carnegie Mellon University, one of the most famous/elite engineering and computer science universities in the country, which is chock full of nerds. I don't think Richmond has anything to compare to this.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,687,768 times
We have an engeneering school

I don't know what a pop culture themed bar is but I'm pretty sure we don't have those here in the RVA.

Pittsburgh will have more of everything, the only advantage that Richmobd has it that the "scene" is more geographically concentrated. It will feel plenty nerdy but pond for pound Richmond will offer less. I'd say that Richmond is more arty, but not nerdy (but certainly lots of people here have science, tech and engineering professions).

Old 03-13-2016, 04:12 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Hearts View Post
Between Pittsburgh and Richmond which is more nerd-friendly and has a bigger presence of Pop culture?
In your list I think you're confusing regular people with outside interests, hipsters, nerds, and geeks.

Hipsters are basically concerned with fashion, irony, and appropriation & remixing of previous subcultures (think thrift store shopping, ironically liking cheap beer like PBR, being obsessed with odd ingredients in organic food, etc.).

The main difference between nerds and geeks is nerds enjoy things to do with the mind (math, technology, classifying a new species of insect, etc.) and geeks are more to do with passion/obsession/fantasy of usually pop cultural things (cosplay, Harry Potter, old video games, etc.).

Things like cafes, record stores, and book stores fall under the heading of everyday people type stuff.

Although pop culture themed places usually fall under the heading of either hipster or geek stuff.

Pittsburgh:

Still retains a bit of the northeast's forced conformity even in my circles (mainly artists & geeks) when I lived there, which means if you like something geeky your friends aren't already interested in you have to warm them up to the idea that it's okay to like that thing.

On the whole Pittsburgh isn't great for geeks, nerds (outside of say Carnegie Mellon who tend to stick to campus), or hipsters. It has some things, but on the whole it isn't.

It is also odd that for such an educated city it can't seem to keep its bookstores open for long.

It's understandable how someone could think the city would be good for these activities with the whole Andy Warhol thing, but really Pittsburgh is the opposite of his interests & he left for NYC as soon as he could.

Hipsters have been pushed into small corners of Pittsburgh as well & won't be found in more than a few neighborhoods.

Things Pittsburgh has that would fall under your heading:

- Furry Convention/zombie walk
- Record stores Ides (+comics), Dave's Music Mine (+VHS tapes), etc.
- A few indie theaters like Harris, Hollywood, Regent, etc.
- Carnegie Mellon's Robotics Lab.
- The Beehive Coffee Shop, Cider Bar, The Church Brew Works, etc.
- A few hipster/themed bars like The Smiling Moose, Brillobox (Worhol theme), and Lava Lounge (sort of like an unofficial Fraggle Rock cave), etc.
- Pitt & Allegheny General having examples of grand architecture that looks like something out of Harry Potter's Hogwarts.
- Some bars/shops with video games/pinball, but nothing completely devoted to retro gaming (outside of corporate sports bar-arcades like Dave & Busters). Not sure, but I think Richmond is roughly the same.

Richmond (based on research as I've never lived there):

- VCU Art Department
- GWAR bar, Fallout (Goth/Industrial club), Galaxy Diner, etc.
- Hipster stuff
- Odd festivals/zombie walk

Seems Richmond is best for art, music, and hipster type stuff while Pittsburgh is best for having a little bit of everything. Although neither strikes me as being a nerdy nirvana like the Pacific Northwest or even as high on the list as someplace that gets big conventions.

I'd say it's a tie (6.5 out of 10 for both).

The main difference between the two seems to be with Richmond you get better weather and lower taxes, but don't get pro sports or as many cultural/nightlife options.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:01 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,052,317 times
Well, 18% of the population within the City of Pittsburgh over the age of 25 has a graduate degree. For Richmond, in contrast, the number is only 14.1%. That shows that Pittsburgh has more people with a higher-level of education. Whether higher level of education = nerdier is of course an open question.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Well, 18% of the population within the City of Pittsburgh over the age of 25 has a graduate degree. For Richmond, in contrast, the number is only 14.1%. That shows that Pittsburgh has more people with a higher-level of education. Whether higher level of education = nerdier is of course an open question.
Thank you for providing the information. I will agree to concede to this.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Two of my favorite cities...

Old 03-14-2016, 06:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,921,054 times
Just in my Pgh neighborhood of Brookline we have the following...

Geekadrome

Looking For Group

Rather Ripped Records

There are also bars with Trivia Night...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City