Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,437,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That says more about restaurants opening and new employers coming in than being a real neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 PM

I guess it's walkable, you just don't see many walking around as you think you would.

Same goes for rosslyn. It looks dense but doesn't act like it..
I'll give you clarendon. Old town alex.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:53 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Pentagon/Crystal City are walkable nodes sir, have you been there recently?
If those areas are walkable, then basically all of NYC's older suburbs are super-walkable. Because both Crystal City and Pentagon City are malls, big driveways, blank walls, etc. They're autotopia.

If that's walkable, then you have very low standards for walkability. Basically anything with a sidewalk is walkable to you.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Nothing in this article indicates that Crystal City is walkable.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:28 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Lol I'm guessing some of the people in this thread have never been to Arlington/Crystal City? There are tons of people who don't own cars and get around soley by metro, biking, etc. to even try to paint Arlington as a suburban town is a joke within itself and obviously you've never been.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
First of all Crystal City I have already admitted is no where near the other clusters of DC suburbs in terms of urban walk-able street scape. Its not even ranked in the top 10 of that Washington Post article from earlier. It lacks, I can admit that. Many of the buildings are older and unimaginative, and I would hope to see some redeveloped like we see in other parts of Arlington. However Crystal City by definition is still an urban walk-able place, albeit pretty small area.

What the NYT article does is mention the fact that Crystal City is undergoing a transformation for the future. There is a plan for its future, just as I have been stating. Practically every DC suburban TOD cluster is undergoing this currently. The Metroway BRT system has been added, and in the next 5 years a infill Metro station at Potomac Yard a few miles south is going to transform things even further. There will be a more even connection that is very walk-able from Crystal City down through Potomac Yard into Old town Alexandria.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol I'm guessing some of the people in this thread have never been to Arlington/Crystal City? There are tons of people who don't own cars and get around soley by metro, biking, etc. to even try to paint Arlington as a suburban town is a joke within itself and obviously you've never been.
Most or Arlington is nothing like cc or pc or even the ballston/Rosslyn corridor.
I find it funny DC guys use the "you've never been there". Yet, I've pointed out things that make you defensive.
It's ringing true, or else it be a different response.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
It would probably be next to impossible to make the DC inner suburbs as walkable as suburbs right next to Boston like Cambridge or Brookline.

The DC suburbs are largely built up with more spacious single-family housing - I'm guessing they're more like Newton or Belmont. You would basically have to demolish all that and start over again.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 AM

I used to go to Arlington all the time because Fairfax must be one if the dullest suburban counties in the u.s.

Probably been to Arlington hundreds of times.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It would probably be next to impossible to make the DC inner suburbs as walkable as suburbs right next to Boston like Cambridge or Brookline.

The DC suburbs are largely built up with more spacious single-family housing - I'm guessing they're more like Newton or Belmont. You would basically have to demolish all that and start over again.

Not gonna happen this century. MD can say it all he wants. I'll never believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City