Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm referring to your post about DC's development and growth. People don't hate DC because it has a lot of growth. It's yours and others excessive boosting that turns people off.
You are not paying attention.

Have you ever been in this thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...oming-213.html

When projects from San Fran, LA, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, or Philly are posted, they get these kind of responses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Seattle's looking great. I need to get up there one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Seattle is certainly on fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Outstanding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
^^Sexy. I think it's going to soon be time to welcome LA to the Downtown Elite club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Very nice picture.
etc.
etc.
etc
etc.
etc.

There are 213 pages and 2080 posts in that thread. It will be very difficult to find praise for D.C. But what you will find is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
By looking at my recent tax bills I think I am paying for at least 6 or 7 of those cranes in DC.

Parasites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
It is going to be rough if that federal government gravy train ever takes a hit...

Wake up and open your eyes!! So yes, we have an us against the world mentality because it is us against the world on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Ok now you just sound silly, goodbye.
Name one DC suburb that's really walkable everywhere.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You said knock everything down. What else is "everything" supposed to mean?
Your example in alexandria is nowwhere near a metro station or a commercial area.
Then you said it's happening all over the DC area, not specifying around metro stations.

You're just mad cause you're getting called out on the bull.
That is near Van Dorn Metro station. It's apart of the Landmark Mall redevelopment.

The urban core of that development. I just posted the low rise buildings before. This is next to the metro station.
http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_...96*750.jpg?v=3

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-20-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 01:19 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
You people are harping on the names of the towns more than what the thread is about and original question from the OP. We are talking about walk-able urban nodes that are suburbs of major cities. All of these DC suburbs we have referred to have both walk-able transit oriented urban nodes, and many still have within the same municipal boundaries, "leafy town home/SFH suburbs". You're not getting anywhere with this argument because we are really not getting at the same points. I understand that parts of these suburbs do taper off into more suburb style housing in SOME areas. The point we are getting at is the urban hub, or nodes are extremely walk-able and transit based however. This is not hard to comprehend.
Let me quote the OP here...

Quote:
Which major cities in the country have the most urban, most dense, most cohesive, most car-free living, most pedestrian scaled, most public transit friendly environment in the suburbs?
I bolded the two statements that I think the DC suburbs fail on. They are unarguably dense and public-transit friendly in sections. They are fairly urban and good for car-free living as well. They are not very well scaled for pedestrians however, and they certainly are not cohesive in the sense of somewhere like Cambridge or Hoboken.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Name one DC suburb that's really walkable everywhere.
Have you not been reading past 20 pages of my posts?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, it's your extremism that assumed we meant ever single inch of the suburbs would be redeveloped which even New York City isn't urban everywhere. We have been talking about metro stations only because this is a thread about living car free around metro stations. Let's say a mile - 1/2 mile buffer zone.
The OP never stipulated such a requirement about "living car free around metro stations"--only transit friendly, which is open for interpretation, and is just but one of several criteria.

Quote:
You people are harping on the names of the towns more than what the thread is about and original question from the OP. We are talking about walk-able urban nodes that are suburbs of major cities. All of these DC suburbs we have referred to have both walk-able transit oriented urban nodes, and many still have within the same municipal boundaries, "leafy town home/SFH suburbs". You're not getting anywhere with this argument because we are really not getting at the same points. I understand that parts of these suburbs do taper off into more suburb style housing in SOME areas. The point we are getting at is the urban hub, or nodes are extremely walk-able and transit based however. This is not hard to comprehend.
Based on the original post's premise, DC gets no higher than 5 in this ranking. The point we are getting at is that DC will never catch up to those cities above it anytime soon, if ever, because of the nature of its TOD (post-WW2). So while all of this stuff about its TOD is informative, let's keep it in perspective. Why is DC the number one traffic congested city in the nation?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Let me quote the OP here...

I bolded the two statements that I think the DC suburbs fail on. They are unarguably dense and public-transit friendly in sections. They are fairly urban and good for car-free living as well. They are not very well scaled for pedestrians however, and they certainly are not cohesive in the sense of somewhere like Cambridge or Hoboken.
What is not cohesive about DT Silver Spring? The place is actually as urban if not more than the neighborhood of Washington DC it is adjacent to across the city line. Its just smaller than places like Hoboken etc. I already gave you the fact the urban nodes do taper off into suburban style housing, but the urban hub of DT Silver Spring is very cohesive IMO (w/ transit everywhere). All I'm saying is that people are on here misrepresenting facts which is all I ever speak about. And its not that the transit level really changes that drastically in many of these areas, because there are bike lanes and bus routes that even run through some of the more leafy developed areas as well.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think it's fair insofar as many people (stupidly, IMHO) avoid core city living when they become parents over school concerns. School desirability of course varies from place to place, but Cambridge is generally better regarded than Boston, and of course Brookline trumps virtually any district in the region (except maybe Newton). So while I don't know if this was the intent of the OP, I could see someone looking for all of the pluses of city life (density, car-free living, walkability) without the minuses.
Agree re: schools. That's a good point. I don't know a thing about Somerville schools. I do think Cambridge is seen as better and Brookline is definitely very good. But I do think that outside of schools, those areas (Brookline is a bit more well-to-do and has some lower-density pockets) are as functionally "Boston" as, say, The Richmond is in San Francisco (Cambridge is actually more inner-city/urban than the Richmond). San Francisco is another city with a relatively small land area. It's about 4 miles from Montgomery Station in San Francisco's Financial District to Geary/Park Presidio in the Richmond. It's about 1.5 miles from Downtown Crossing station to Kendall Square in Cambridge, 3.25 to Coolidge Corner in Brookline, and 4 miles to Davis Square in Somerville. Each of those places arguable has better transit access to downtown Boston than San Francisco's Richmond district does too (Green Line for Brookline, and Red for Cambridge and Somerville).

So again, I agree that the school districts make a difference. But functionally from a car-free, urban living standpoint, Cambridge, Somerville and Brookline are very much part of the urban fabric of Boston. It's difficult to call them suburbs.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
What is not cohesive about DT Silver Spring? The place is actually as urban if not more than the neighborhood of Washington DC it is adjacent to across the city line.
The adjacent areas of DC are suburban in nature.

And Silver Spring isn't remotely similar to Hoboken. It's equivalent in the NYC area would be something like Morristown, but not quite as nice. Or maybe a smaller, less affluent, less urban version of White Plains or Stamford.

If Silver Spring were in the NYC metro it would be considered fairly suburban and sprawly.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is near Van Dorn Metro station. It's apart of the Landmark Mall redevelopment.

The urban core of that development. I just posted the low rise buildings before. This is next to the metro station.
http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_...96*750.jpg?v=3

That's not near van dorn. Nobody walks to that that area from the station. Stop the bull already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City