Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Come on now, people in Chicago love their cars. Sure there are a few nabes that people will go carless, but overall? Chicago is very car friendly, especially compared to NYC.
Yes, maybe 25% of Chicago it is what I would call convenient to go car free in. Still though, Chicago is pretty big and that covers a large area of about 750K people. More than any other US city aside from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Yes, maybe 25% of Chicago it is what I would call convenient to go car free in. Still though, Chicago is pretty big and that covers a large area of about 750K people. More than any other US city aside from NYC.
Agreed. But a lot of people drive around and do things in Chicago that don't require a car. Whether it's hopping in a car to drive 2 blocks to the grocery store, to getting a cup of coffee, to renting a movie.

Being able to go car free, or hardly using a car, doesn't mean that people in Chicago do so. The option is there, but a lot of those people are just too lazy to actually walk when they can.

Look at the difference between how much fatter the people in Chicago are compared to NYC or Philly.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But a lot of people drive around and do things in Chicago that don't require a car. Whether it's hopping in a car to drive 2 blocks to the grocery store, to getting a cup of coffee, to renting a movie.

Being able to go car free, or hardly using a car, doesn't mean that people in Chicago do so. The option is there, but a lot of those people are just too lazy to actually walk when they can.

Look at the difference between how much fatter the people in Chicago are compared to NYC or Philly.
Can't say we see eye-to-eye on this one. In the areas of Chicago that are more densely populated and have good public transit people are out walking to run errands, go out to eat, and so on. The hassle of parking in these areas and the density of amenities pretty much dictate so.

Also I don't find the locals here to be any more over weight than your average person on the street in New York, and certainly not Philly.

Sounds like you were not the biggest fan of living in Chicago, which is fine, but maybe it is making you overly nit-pick the city.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
According to the 2009 list, NYC is fatter than Chicago.

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness

But I think that some of this problem has less to do with public transportation than food deserts and bad nutrition in poor neighborhoods.

As for public transportation, only about 1/3 of workers in Chicago commute to work by public transit. We have fewer rides on the el per day on DC's smaller system. Our major shopping corridor on Elston is mostly big box stores and there is no bus route down Elston.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Can't say we see eye-to-eye on this one. In the areas of Chicago that are more densely populated and have good public transit people are out walking to run errands, go out to eat, and so on. The hassle of parking in these areas and the density of amenities pretty much dictate so.

Also I don't find the locals here to be any more over weight than your average person on the street in New York, and certainly not Philly.

Sounds like you were not the biggest fan of living in Chicago, which is fine, but maybe it is making you overly nit-pick the city.
Actually, my statements about Chicago are un-bias. These are things that I've seen after living there for years. The people of Chicago are indeed fatter than Ny'ers or Philadelphian's! I've lived in all 3 cities. One of the first things I noticed, was the weight difference between the cities. Especially amoung the black population. The black women in Chicago are much fatter than the ones in Philly or NYC. They were just talking about this in a bar I drank in a few weeks ago in NYC. They were talking about how fat the people of Chicago are. Now listen, these people just got back from a trip there. So don't act like they were going off a "myth" or "sterotype".

You talk about the hassle of parking? In Chicago, grocery stores provide parking. As well as a lot of other bussiness. sure there are areas of the city that it's harder to find parking. But I've witnessed the things I'm talking about here. I'm not making statements out of spite if that's what you think.

A lot of people who go car-less in Chicago, do so cause they can't afford one. Sure some do it out of choice, but most the ones I met, was cause of low income. In NYC, you have people making 7 firgures that go car-less, that would not be very common in Chicago. There is a BIG difference between the two cities and their car cultures.

Did you know that both Robert Deniro and Al Pachino, didn't know how to drive a car when they were filming the movie "The Godfather"? It's true. This is an example of how different the city residents are between the two cities and driving.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
According to the 2009 list, NYC is fatter than Chicago.

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness

But I think that some of this problem has less to do with public transportation than food deserts and bad nutrition in poor neighborhoods.

As for public transportation, only about 1/3 of workers in Chicago commute to work by public transit. We have fewer rides on the el per day on DC's smaller system. Our major shopping corridor on Elston is mostly big box stores and there is no bus route down Elston.
You can throw stats and surveys at me all day and night. When I witness things 'first hand', that's what I go by. Looking at stats or surveys, reminds me of the old saying, "Don't believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see".

Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
So anecdotal evidence trumps research? First time I've ever heard that.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
So anecdotal evidence trumps research? First time I've ever heard that.
Stick around kid, I'll show you a thing or two before we're done with this thread......

Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, my statements about Chicago are un-bias. These are things that I've seen after living there for years. The people of Chicago are indeed fatter than Ny'ers or Philadelphian's! I've lived in all 3 cities. One of the first things I noticed, was the weight difference between the cities. Especially amoung the black population. The black women in Chicago are much fatter than the ones in Philly or NYC. They were just talking about this in a bar I drank in a few weeks ago in NYC. They were talking about how fat the people of Chicago are. Now listen, these people just got back from a trip there. So don't act like they were going off a "myth" or "sterotype".

You talk about the hassle of parking? In Chicago, grocery stores provide parking. As well as a lot of other bussiness. sure there are areas of the city that it's harder to find parking. But I've witnessed the things I'm talking about here. I'm not making statements out of spite if that's what you think.

A lot of people who go car-less in Chicago, do so cause they can't afford one. Sure some do it out of choice, but most the ones I met, was cause of low income. In NYC, you have people making 7 firgures that go car-less, that would not be very common in Chicago. There is a BIG difference between the two cities and their car cultures.

Did you know that both Robert Deniro and Al Pachino, didn't know how to drive a car when they were filming the movie "The Godfather"? It's true. This is an example of how different the city residents are between the two cities and driving.
Well I think you make some valid points, but the areas I have lived in are certainly dominated by pedestrians and have ample taxi cabs driving about. Although you are correct about grocery stores providing parking in Chicago.

As far as people going carless in Chicago is concerned, my experiences differ from yours. I know many professional types with very good incomes who choose not to own a car in Chicago.

I'm not trying to say that NYC and Chicago function on the same level, because they don't. NYC is much larger and more dynamic and it is really nonsense breaking them down for comparison.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
You can throw stats and surveys at me all day and night. When I witness things 'first hand', that's what I go by. Looking at stats or surveys, reminds me of the old saying, "Don't believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see".
I wouldn't telegraph that line of reasoning on this forum. Granted, Men's Fitness may not be the Library of Congress for fat people stats, but I'd certainly take their research over your ad hoc experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City