Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM

177 posts, read 479,804 times

Advertisements

Household car ownership is around 70% in chicago, and obviously a lot lower in the downtown area, near west hoods, and north shore. It is much higher in the far hoods. Thats actually a very low number compared to most cities in the US; only NYC, DC, Philly, and Boston are lower out of the major cities (and DC and Boston are tiny in land mass compared to Chicago). In NYC household car ownership is 45%, which is by far the lowest in the US.

You certainly dont need a car in chicago especially in neighborhoods close to downtown though. But if you can afford to have one for weekend trips etc, and have a space avilable then why not? In NYC rich people have them also, its just most would not be able to afford to keep one around just for weekends due to lack of spaces - especially in manhattan.

NYC has a much more extensive transit system, which certainly makes it easier to go by without one. But in Chicago if you do live in a hood with good transit access, you can get by without almost as easily, and far easier than most cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,854 times
1st, off, whoever said the transit system in Philly is better than the one in Chicago, and people in Chicago are fatter is seriously on something. This can be seen by simply walking around the two cities. Those downtown parking lots in Philly, ain't there in Chicago.

2nd, I'll let everyone in on a shocking secret. Just because you own a car, doesn't mean you have to use it everyday.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
There's sure a lot of Chicago fanboys on this forum. Chicago isn't a bad city per se, but it also has more than a handful of problems. The CTA is absolutely hideous. I effing hate it and drive whenever I can. In terms of ethos, Chicago can't touch New York. New York strangely seems like a more hospitable place than Chicago, perhaps because the streets are a bit more organic, perhaps because of Central Park, or perhaps because of the slightly better weather.

In terms of value, Chicago is pretty decent though.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There's sure a lot of Chicago fanboys on this forum. Chicago isn't a bad city per se, but it also has more than a handful of problems. The CTA is absolutely hideous. I effing hate it and drive whenever I can. In terms of ethos, Chicago can't touch New York. New York strangely seems like a more hospitable place than Chicago, perhaps because the streets are a bit more organic, perhaps because of Central Park, or perhaps because of the slightly better weather.

In terms of value, Chicago is pretty decent though.
lol, this trollin? chicago is quite easy to get around without a car, in fact i got rid of my car when i moved there as it was a nuisance. maybe if you live on the outskirts of the city or the burbs...
more people in chicago have cars because they can afford them and cheaper parking than nyc, not necesarily b/c they NEED them.

NYC/DC/SF/Chicago/Boston are by far the easiest cities to get around in the u.s. NYC might have a lot more track... but that doesn't necessarily make it "easier" to get around, or faster.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol, this trollin? chicago is quite easy to get around without a car, in fact i got rid of my car when i moved there as it was a nuisance. maybe if you live on the outskirts of the city or the burbs...
more people in chicago have cars because they can afford them and cheaper parking than nyc, not necesarily b/c they NEED them.

NYC/DC/SF/Chicago/Boston are by far the easiest cities to get around in the u.s. NYC might have a lot more track... but that doesn't necessarily make it "easier" to get around, or faster.
Learn to read before accusing others of trolling, fanboy. I never said Chicago was hard to get around by car. I just said I effing hate the CTA and drive whenever I can. That's probably the main reason why more people in Chicago than NYC have cars: because the CTA blows and is a recipe for mental depression.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Come on now, people in Chicago love their cars. Sure there are a few nabes that people will go carless, but overall? Chicago is very car friendly, especially compared to NYC.
I didn't say people in Chicago don't love cars. It all really comes down to where you live. Of my friends I stated, we all live up on the north side in the 10 square mile area around Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, etc. We all had cars at one point in our lives, but for whatever reason got rid of them upon moving here. We all make between around $50K and $90K a year, so money really has nothing to do with it.

Obviously New York has less amounts of people with cars. Better public transit, and Chicago has a lot of neighborhoods on the fringes where owning a car is very easy.

One huge factor - Chicago has alleys on all blocks that are lined with parking garages for the buildings. This changes thing a lot, as it's very easy to have a car and park it in an enclosed garage.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I wouldn't telegraph that line of reasoning on this forum. Granted, Men's Fitness may not be the Library of Congress for fat people stats, but I'd certainly take their research over your ad hoc experiences.
That's your right to do so. Why would I say Chicago is fatter though? For what reason? I just say things that I see and experience. And, after living in Chicago for years, the East coast people appeared a lot less fat. And it wasn't like I was 'looking' to see the differences. It just happened to be one of the first things that I noticed.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
Household car ownership is around 70% in chicago, and obviously a lot lower in the downtown area, near west hoods, and north shore. It is much higher in the far hoods. Thats actually a very low number compared to most cities in the US; only NYC, DC, Philly, and Boston are lower out of the major cities (and DC and Boston are tiny in land mass compared to Chicago). In NYC household car ownership is 45%, which is by far the lowest in the US.

You certainly dont need a car in chicago especially in neighborhoods close to downtown though. But if you can afford to have one for weekend trips etc, and have a space avilable then why not? In NYC rich people have them also, its just most would not be able to afford to keep one around just for weekends due to lack of spaces - especially in manhattan.

NYC has a much more extensive transit system, which certainly makes it easier to go by without one. But in Chicago if you do live in a hood with good transit access, you can get by without almost as easily, and far easier than most cities in the US.
Car % ownership, doesn't show how 'often' that someone will use their cars though. I know you don't 'need' a car in a lot of Chicago nabes. But needing and having are two different things.

NYC gas consumption, is what it was in 1920's America. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
That's your right to do so. Why would I say Chicago is fatter though? For what reason? I just say things that I see and experience. And, after living in Chicago for years, the East coast people appeared a lot less fat. And it wasn't like I was 'looking' to see the differences. It just happened to be one of the first things that I noticed.
I agree with you. Chicago IS fatter. I live on the South Side, and there are fat people (particularly women) everywhere. I don't understand why people take offense to reality.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I didn't say people in Chicago don't love cars. It all really comes down to where you live. Of my friends I stated, we all live up on the north side in the 10 square mile area around Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Uptown, etc. We all had cars at one point in our lives, but for whatever reason got rid of them upon moving here. We all make between around $50K and $90K a year, so money really has nothing to do with it.

Obviously New York has less amounts of people with cars. Better public transit, and Chicago has a lot of neighborhoods on the fringes where owning a car is very easy.

One huge factor - Chicago has alleys on all blocks that are lined with parking garages for the buildings. This changes thing a lot, as it's very easy to have a car and park it in an enclosed garage.
Agreed. Chicago is a lot more car friendly of a city. That's what I've been saying the whole time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City