Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities
Minneapolis 10 13.51%
Denver 17 22.97%
Seattle 21 28.38%
San Diego 7 9.46%
San Francisco 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's definitely urbanizing, as is every other city, but there's just something about Houston that, in my experience as being millennial, is just not as appealing. I can't fully articulate why, but I've yet to meet a young person who wants to move there. I know people who I grew up with in LA that have moved to Austin and Dallas and it seems like a lot of people from Louisville have friends that have moved to Austin and Dallas, but I've never heard of anyone saying they have friends that moved to Houston. Some people from KY have goals of moving to Dallas, but I've never heard anyone having a goal of moving to Houston. I think the stereotype of it being an oil city hurts it. The fact that it is still in the process of urbanizing is unappealing. Possibly the weather. Miami and Houston and New Orleans and Tampa are all hot and humid southern cities, but Houston doesn't have the beaches like Miami or Tampa and it doesn't have the fun, unique, lively culture like New Orleans. The recent vote against LGBT protections probably hurt the city a lot too, since most young people want to live in a city where all people are welcome and accepted. The gays and liberals won't be flocking to a place that denies human rights. I could see the rush to NC quickly slowing down because of their bill as well. If you're going to move to Texas for the low COL, good employment prospects, and warm weather, you might as well move to a place that is also more liberal and welcoming of the gay community like Dallas and Austin. I know Houston has a lesbian mayor, but that vote tarnished the view of Houston to a lot of people I think.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm sure Houston would be just as great to live in as any other city mentioned here. It's a massive city so it's easy to find your niche and friends with so many people in so many neighborhoods across a huge swath of land. But the reasons I mentioned against Houston are possibly what's keeping it from becoming a magnet for millennials like other cities.
I totally agree with this statement. I go to college in LA and people constantly crap on Houston (not just the students from LA but from all over the country), yet dallas seems to have a pretty descent reputation with millennials, not really sure why. One would think that since Houston is the largest city in Texas that it would be looked at as attractive to millennials. I heard that in Dallas their uptown is "hip", full of patio bars and trendy restaurants, maybe that is why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Yeah because San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Dallas are so mountainous, temperate and dry. And Tampa too.
You completely missed the point. I could have picked any reason out of thin air, and it would have been more accurate than white people being afraid of latin culture. Next time I'll use the sarcasm emoticon.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
It's definitely urbanizing, as is every other city, but there's just something about Houston that, in my experience as being millennial, is just not as appealing. I can't fully articulate why, but I've yet to meet a young person who wants to move there. I know people who I grew up with in LA that have moved to Austin and Dallas and it seems like a lot of people from Louisville have friends that have moved to Austin and Dallas, but I've never heard of anyone saying they have friends that moved to Houston. Some people from KY have goals of moving to Dallas, but I've never heard anyone having a goal of moving to Houston. I think the stereotype of it being an oil city hurts it. The fact that it is still in the process of urbanizing is unappealing. Possibly the weather. Miami and Houston and New Orleans and Tampa are all hot and humid southern cities, but Houston doesn't have the beaches like Miami or Tampa and it doesn't have the fun, unique, lively culture like New Orleans. The recent vote against LGBT protections probably hurt the city a lot too, since most young people want to live in a city where all people are welcome and accepted. The gays and liberals won't be flocking to a place that denies human rights. I could see the rush to NC quickly slowing down because of their bill as well. If you're going to move to Texas for the low COL, good employment prospects, and warm weather, you might as well move to a place that is also more liberal and welcoming of the gay community like Dallas and Austin. I know Houston has a lesbian mayor, but that vote tarnished the view of Houston to a lot of people I think.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm sure Houston would be just as great to live in as any other city mentioned here. It's a massive city so it's easy to find your niche and friends with so many people in so many neighborhoods across a huge swath of land. But the reasons I mentioned against Houston are possibly what's keeping it from becoming a magnet for millennials like other cities.
You're so lost.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
LOL, or it could be that Flat, Hot and Humid doesn't suit a lot young people.
I don't disagree with that, but I don't think that explains the disproportionate hate Miami gets compared to other cities on the forums, which is what I was talking about, if you read more carefully. I don't think young people are threatened by latino culture per se, that's not really what I meant to communicate -- by and large young people are very open. But I do think that a not-insignificant reason Miami gets on C-D is that a lot of people are threatened by the prevalence of latino culture in general. I think it's apparent in many users' posts, and just knowing how the makeup of our country is in general. But that's just one factor for why Miami gets hate on here, I think that is combined with the fact that people feel excluded and like they couldn't be a part of the city even if they wanted to because of the difficulty of getting a high-paying job.

As for why Miami isn't often picked as a city for young people specifically, it has more to do with the tough job market there and disparity between pay and COL (there's a post in the Miami forum on how the gap there between median income and cost needed to live comfortably as a single person is the largest in the U.S.)

Last edited by Valhallian; 04-29-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I don't disagree with that, but I don't think that explains the disproportionate hate Miami gets compared to other cities on the forums, which is what I was talking about, if you read more carefully. I don't think young people are threatened by latino culture per se, that's not really what I meant to communicate -- by and large young people are very open. But I do think that a not-insignificant reason Miami gets on C-D is that a lot of people are threatened by the prevalence of latino culture in general. I think it's apparent in many of people's posts, and just knowing how the makeup of our country is in general. But that's just one factor for why Miami gets hate on here, I think that is combined with the fact that people feel excluded and like they couldn't be a part of the city even if they wanted to because of the difficulty of getting a high-paying job.

As for why Miami isn't often picked as a city for young people specifically, it has more to do with the tough job market there and disparity between pay and COL (there's a post in the Miami forum on how the gap there between median income and cost needed to live comfortably as a single person is the largest in the U.S.)
Miami is just the perfect example of the decline of America. And no, I don't mean Latinos. I mean the disgusting opulence, lack of ethics, and narcissism, shared by all races that live in the place.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Miami is just the perfect example of the decline of America. And no, I don't mean Latinos. I mean the disgusting opulence, lack of ethics, and narcissism, shared by all races that live in the place.
Have you ever spent a minute in the city of Miami? Miami is not South Beach, which happens to be in the city of Miami Beach.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Have you ever spent a minute in the city of Miami? Miami is not South Beach, which happens to be in the city of Miami Beach.
I'm referring to the entire area.

Maybe you have a point about the opulence part, but the lack of ethics and narcissism are certainly present, almost everywhere.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:34 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Perfect example of the type of hyperbole you see on C-D whenever Miami is discussed.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Perfect example of the type of hyperbole you see on C-D whenever Miami is discussed.
Point taken.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
It's not hyperbole if it's true. Just a disgusting town on so many levels, most prominent of which being the cultural one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City