Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: El Paso vs. Albuquerque
El Paso 77 26.55%
Albuquerque 213 73.45%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDesertCity View Post
Walmart Shopping centers??? hilarious- with millions and billions of on going projects that are posted on this thread for El Paso that is your conclusion?? Freeway projects YES over 10 yrs. worth of non stop projects- a few are completed then several more are started- what's wrong?? can't accept that ABQ can't afford projects like El Paso's?? could it be it's in the 2nd poorest State in the country?? NOTHING that ABQ has impresses me or for that matter the entire state of New Mexico- Sorry.
I'd be more concerned about my city being poor than my state. The State of Texas is rich because of places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, not El Paso. The State of New Mexico isn't as bad as it could be because of Albuquerque. Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Alamos are where the wealth in this state is located. El Paso and the rest of the Rio Grande valley in Texas is where your state's poverty is concentrated.

Texas lavished El Paso with freeways and interchanges, big whoop. None of them are as stylish or as beautiful as the Big I and the I-40 reconstruction, or the work that is planned next for I-25. Texas just doesn't have the design sense of New Mexico. You even felt the need to use Las Cruces and Old Mesilla to give some sense of charm and aesthetic to El Paso. But they don't compare to Old Town Albuquerque or Santa Fe. And let's not pretend that anything in El Paso compares to the High Five in Dallas, the multilevel freeway in Austin or the massive freeways in Houston. El Paso got the bare minimum from Texas, it seems.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 PM

87 posts, read 252,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I'd be more concerned about my city being poor than my state. The State of Texas is rich because of places like Austin, Dallas and Houston, not El Paso. The State of New Mexico isn't as bad as it could be because of Albuquerque. Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Alamos are where the wealth in this state is located. El Paso and the rest of the Rio Grande valley in Texas is where your state's poverty is concentrated.

Texas lavished El Paso with freeways and interchanges, big whoop. None of them are as stylish or as beautiful as the Big I and the I-40 reconstruction, or the work that is planned next for I-25. Texas just doesn't have the design sense of New Mexico. You even felt the need to use Las Cruces and Old Mesilla to give some sense of charm and aesthetic to El Paso. But they don't compare to Old Town Albuquerque or Santa Fe. And let's not pretend that anything in El Paso compares to the High Five in Dallas, the multilevel freeway in Austin or the massive freeways in Houston. El Paso got the bare minimum from Texas, it seems.
You're comparing El Paso to Austin (Texas State Capitol) Dallas and Houston (Top 10 largest Cities in the nation known for their wealth and prosperity is ridiculous- it's true El Paso isn't as wealthy as other Texas cities although currently economically- El Paso is rapidly changing for the ultimate success, thanks to the State of Texas and Austin. El Paso's location next to an international border and next to the poor state of New Mexico hasn't been a piece cake.
Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Los Alamos is where the wealth is in New Mexico? have you stopped to think the size and amount of it?? NOT MUCH, your deluded state of mind is coming through.
Now, are you a mind reader? I felt the need to include Las Cruces for charm and aesthetic to El Paso? you're out of you mind, I posted it for it's own existence.
If you haven't been to El Paso lately you have no idea of the past and present freeway projects that have been completed or under construction, similar to other massive freeway designs of other larger Texas cities, freeway projects that Albuquerque won't see unless it wins the lottery, I'd hardly say a "bare minimum" say that to Austin and you'll be told to stay put in New Mexico lol.

El Paso on the Go!!

Last edited by HotDesertCity; 09-08-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,577 times
Quote:
You're comparing El Paso to Austin (Texas State Capitol) Dallas and Houston (Top 10 largest Cities in the nation known for their wealth and prosperity is ridiculous- it's true El Paso isn't as wealthy as other Texas cities although currently economically- El Paso is rapidly changing for the ultimate success, thanks to the State of Texas and Austin. El Paso's location next to an international border and next to the poor state of New Mexico hasn't been a piece cake.
Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Los Alamos is where the wealth is in New Mexico? have you stopped to think the size and amount of it?? NOT MUCH, your deluded state of mind is coming through.
Now, are you a mind reader? I felt the need to include Las Cruces for charm and aesthetic to El Paso? you're out of you mind, I posted it for it's own existence.
If you haven't been to El Paso lately you have no idea of the past and present freeway projects that have been completed or under construction, similar to other massive freeway designs of other larger Texas cities, freeway projects that Albuquerque won't see unless it wins the lottery, I'd hardly say a "bare minimum" say that to Austin and you'll be told to stay put in New Mexico lol.

El Paso on the Go!!

All the freeways will never change the fact that El Paso is a very poor city, that will never change especially being next to Juarez......the reality is El Paso is barely starting to get to where Albuquerque and Tucson have been for years even decades!
But go ahead and keep puffing your little chest, and maybe El Paso will get recognized by the rest of the country as something besides a poor border town!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
No, for all intents and purposes the Rapid Ride and Brio are indeed the same thing.

The Rapid Ride has most all the capabilities and features of Brio, but no longer utilizes its signal priority feature. It has articulated buses, level boarding and distinctive stations located on the sidewalk, just like Brio. The Rapid Ride does not have pre-paid boarding, which is all that separates the two systems currently. However, that alone is not enough to elevate Brio to BRT.
If the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Transit Administration (FTA) recognizes BRIO as an official BRT system, then I'm pretty sure it is an official BRT system. And I'd take their word over anyone's word or opinion on the internet.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...transit-system

Old 09-08-2016, 05:16 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
All the freeways will never change the fact that El Paso is a very poor city, that will never change especially being next to Juarez......the reality is El Paso is barely starting to get to where Albuquerque and Tucson have been for years even decades!
But go ahead and keep puffing your little chest, and maybe El Paso will get recognized by the rest of the country as something besides a poor border town!
Over $2 billion and counting in the last few years being spent on the El Paso sector to build out our freeway system is nothing to laugh at. El Paso's growing freeway system embarrasses ABQ's 2 freeways in many ways. We actually have easy access for every area of our city through I-10, US-54, Loop 375, Spur 601 as opposed to the 2 freeways that ABQ has.

2 more freeways are in the planning stages (Montana Expressway, Northeast Parkway) to help drivers in El Paso.. while ABQ will still likely only have two freeways for many years to come. Look at every other major city in America.. and all of them have more freeways than what ABQ has.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Over $2 billion and counting in the last few years being spent on the El Paso sector to build out our freeway system is nothing to laugh at. El Paso's growing freeway system embarrasses ABQ's 2 freeways in many ways. We actually have easy access for every area of our city through I-10, US-54, Loop 375, Spur 601 as opposed to the 2 freeways that ABQ has.

2 more freeways are in the planning stages (Montana Expressway, Northeast Parkway) to help drivers in El Paso.. while ABQ will still likely only have two freeways for many years to come. Look at every other major city in America.. and all of them have more freeways than what ABQ has.

You people are SERIOUSLY excited about freeways?
Ooooooh look at all these freeways........wow how exciting, give me a break how ridiculous!

Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM

Looks like people on this thread aren't swayed by all those freeways. Albuquerque is just taking el paso to the woodshed.....in this poll!!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
If the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Transit Administration (FTA) recognizes BRIO as an official BRT system, then I'm pretty sure it is an official BRT system. And I'd take their word over anyone's word or opinion on the internet.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...transit-system
Again, if Brio is true BRT then the Rapid Ride is as well. The only difference between Brio and the Rapid Ride is the prepay kiosk. So I guess Albuquerque has had three BRT lines for many years now, we just didn't know it.

Sorry, but Brio is not a true BRT line and never will be. If it is, then why not have it rated by the international standard?

Quote:

I don't know what it is with you El Paso people, but keep fawning over your freeways, I really don't give a damn. Albuquerque is bisected by two interstates, the north-south I-25 and the east-west I-40, and has very good freeway access across the city, that's really all any place needs. Our downtown has easy and quick access to both freeways and our airport is right off of I-25 with direct, controlled access via Sunport Boulevard. Our main sporting venues are also off of I-25 at the UNM South Campus. Our main shopping area is off of I-40 and our biggest employment area is literally named after the interstate it straddles, North I-25. And Paseo del Norte connects the Westside to North I-25 and the Heights as a freeway.

So Albuquerque doesn't lack good freeway access.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:27 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,439 times
I don't understand the hatred for El Paso? I seems more is going on than just freeways.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:

El Paso on the Go!!
New Mexico actually has a lower rate of poverty than El Paso. It's 21.3 percent compared to metro El Paso at 24 percent, so I don't know what the hell your crowing about in terms of "poor New Mexico" Remember that metro Albuquerque has a poverty rate of 18.5 percent. Santa Fe's metro poverty rate is at 14.2 percent, which is lower than the national rate. And Los Alamos is consistently ranked as one of the nation's top wealthiest counties and has a poverty rate of only 4.2 percent. Consider also that New Mexico has lots of impoverished Indian reservations and economically disadvantaged rural areas and currently a bad energy sector in southeastern New Mexico, just like in West Texas and Houston. All of that counteracts the wealth and rebounding economy of Albuquerque and the wealth of Santa Fe and Los Alamos.

New Mexico
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35

El Paso metro (El Paso and Hudspeth counties)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/48141
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/48229

Los Alamos
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35028

Santa Fe metro (Santa Fe County)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35049

Albuquerque metro (Bernalillo, Sandoval, Valencia and Torrance counties)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35001
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35043
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35061
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/35057

Sandoval County also has a poverty rate below the national average at only 12.6 percent. Valencia County has a poverty rate of 24.6 percent which is very much like metro El Paso. In fact, I think of Valencia County as being very much like El Paso overall with a fairly overwhelming Hispanic majority at 59 percent. Bernalillo County has a poverty rate of 18.7 percent and is pretty much a reflection of all our metro with pockets of extreme poverty both rural and urban, a sizeable middle class and areas of very wealthy people such as Sandia Park, Los Ranchos and the Far Northeast Heights. Torrance County has a poverty rate of 27.6 percent and is an example of New Mexico's economically depressed rural areas. Its small towns increasingly rely on the jobs and economy in Albuquerque proper to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City