Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most visually and aesthetically beautiful waterfront?
New York 4 2.76%
Chicago 46 31.72%
Toronto 6 4.14%
San Francisco 13 8.97%
Miami/Miami Beach 24 16.55%
Boston 6 4.14%
Vancouver 17 11.72%
San Diego 5 3.45%
Seattle 10 6.90%
Honolulu 14 9.66%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 AM

690 posts, read 1,007,469 times

Advertisements

I also agree Baltimore could be on the list

(all pics by me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 04:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
I'm judging waterfronts only by the cities I've been to in the list which are

New York
Toronto
San Francisco
Vancouver
San Diego
Seattle
Honolulu

I voted for Vancouver since the whole downtown waterfront, from Canada Place to Science World is accessible waterfront with a seawall for pedestrians and bikes. The seawall then continues through other neighbourhoods for a total 22 K's. Even after it technically ends, you have a beach level bike path connecting you to Jericho Beach through to the end of Spanish Banks Beaches.

The sheer length of it makes it stand out, as well as the different views of city, ocean and mountains.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Seawal...table-Map3.pdf

Last edited by JMT; 06-18-2016 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Violation of rules for posting images

Old 06-17-2016, 10:51 PM

74 posts, read 93,986 times
We may not being getting a lot of hits but this is absolutely one of the best posts I have seen on city data. These beautiful pictures really make these cities look like desirable locations to live. I especially like the ones with all the boats! The recreation and beauty of water is so evident. Thank you for posting these pictures!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,835 times
Miami/Miami Beach by far. Water/Coastal Views/Water based activities is what that area does, and it does it better than anywhere in the US. Its pleasing to the eye year round. You've got skyscrapers on the water, you've got massive estates on the water along with beautiful intra-coastal canals. The other choices have great waterfronts, but Miami is in another league imo.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 06-18-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 12:28 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Miami/Miami Beach by far. Water/Coastal Views/Water based activities is what that area does, and it does it better than anywhere in the US. Its pleasing to the eye year round. You've got skyscrapers on the water, you've got massive estates on the water along with beautiful intra-coastal canals. The other choices have great waterfronts, but Miami is in another league imo.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see it. Miami and Miami beach are mostly just walls of condos blocking almost all access to the waterfront areas, I see very little connection to the waterfront for the general public or in planning and development for the area. Beautiful beaches to be sure once you get there, but there are so many private areas it just doesn't have a largess public access or a feeling of the city really embracing the shoreline with a consistent well thought out plan of urban design on a waterfront- there just are not enough public places or plazas connecting to the water there. You've got a few; Bayfront Park, and I guess a couple of other areas, but they seem to be after thoughts. Big developers for condos seem to win out over all else

Looks good from a distance and yet half the time you have no idea you are next to water for a good bit of the time you are there a block away from it.

So many of these other cities here have grand urban spaces right on the water front, even if that water may not be as welcoming to get in and experience as it is in south Florida.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-19-2016 at 12:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 01:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't see it. Miami and Miami beach are mostly just walls of condos blocking almost all access to the waterfront areas, I see very little connection to the waterfront for the general public or in planning and development for the area.
Yes I see what you mean. These people obviously had a hard time gaining access to the waterfront.

These people also had to struggle to make a "Public" connection

Public access in just Dade alone, is vast.

The same can be said for both Broward and Palm Beach.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:23 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Should probably add Montreal as the entire city is located on an island, surrounded by water on the vast St. Lawrence River, dotted with ports and river-front promenades:

Source: World Press Photo

Source: Huffington Post

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rt_skyline.jpg

Source: https://canadaalive.files.wordpress.com

Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Seattle's Waterfront, after the Viaduct comes down:

Old 06-20-2016, 08:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't see it.
Yeah, maybe it's just you.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
New York is the odd city out in the poll as it's clearly at the bottom of the cities listed, imo.

I like Boston, San Francisco, San Diego, Honolulu and Vancouver with Vancouver being the best.

If you asked this say 15 years ago, I would have included Miami Beach near the top. However, slowly but surly it's turning into one long wall of condos and hotels right along the beach and that's taking away from it.
What? I have lived in Miami Beach for exactly the last 15 years and the public access to the water has IMPROVED, not degraded. The beautiful and extensive beach and bay walk has linked MidBeach to SouthBeach all the way to South Point where the city has put in a fantastic public park at Government Cut to complement Lummus park at the center of the Art Deco District on Ocean Drive. South Point Park now links the Beach Walk to the Bay Walk on the west side. Even the South Point Pier has been rebuilt. The Bay Walk is now filling in the gaps on the West side of South Beach so that residents and visitors will eventually be able to nearly encircle South Beach entirely by foot or by bike along the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City