Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Intown Neighborhoods
Atlanta 18 41.86%
Miami 9 20.93%
Dallas 8 18.60%
Denver 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think this is why I have such diffuculty processing C-D's "city limits are meaningless" ethos. For most of my life, the burbs were a different world. I was urban and inner-city when those were euphemisms.
The "city limits are meaningless" refrain mostly has to do with size (quantity), not built environment (quality). Municipal population is probably the least relevant metric when it comes to the true size of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 12:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I personally don't consider South Beach apart of Miami.
I'll go with "irony" in this post and enjoy it for its play on words. Miami Beach is apart from Miami, not a part of Miami.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:42 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "city limits are meaningless" refrain mostly has to do with size (quantity), not built environment (quality). Municipal population is probably the least relevant metric when it comes to the true size of a place.
But some people take it to an absurd degree. I've seen people argue on this forum that Baltimore and DC are the same "city" for example because they happen to share a CSA.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
But some people take it to an absurd degree. I've seen people argue on this forum that Baltimore and DC are the same "city" for example because they happen to share a CSA.
Yeah that's taking it way too far. It's something of a valid argument for the Bay Area and the Research Triangle, but not DC/Baltimore.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
If were to just look at neighborhoods within a city's limits, then this thread and poll is "cooked" toward answering Dallas. I say this based on the areas of each city below:
  1. Dallas: 340.5 square miles
  2. Denver: 153 square miles
  3. Atlanta: 133.2 square miles
  4. Miami: 35.7 square miles

Not certain if these are updated numbers or not...

Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Yeah that's taking it way too far. It's something of a valid argument for the Bay Area and the Research Triangle, but not DC/Baltimore.
If I were from Oakland, I'm not so sure how I would relate to San Jose or Palo Alto.

Growing up in NYC, I considered Metro NY to be Long Island, Westchester Hudson County, NJ and maybe Fairfield and Greenwich CT. Even Newark was its own thing since it had its own sports teams and airport.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If I were from Oakland, I'm not so sure how I would relate to San Jose or Palo Alto.
Bay Area residents tend to view the region as one.

Quote:
Growing up in NYC, I considered Metro NY to be Long Island, Westchester Hudson County, NJ and maybe Fairfield and Greenwich CT. Even Newark was its own thing since it had its own sports teams and airport.
Metro NYC is an anomaly because it's so friggin' huge, but the same dynamic is in play there. It's just that Newark is more of a satellite city than a suburb.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM

Miami has some terrific "in town" neighborhoods that are actually very close to the city center but not within the city itself. Coral Gables is beautiful, as is Miami Shores and Mid Beach in Miami Beach. The islands in the bay are mostly not Miami as well but are spectacular. While none of the previous are in the actual city but all are very close to the city center.
Brickell is an urban city neighborhood that's quite nice and continues to be showered with new amenities over time. It's just south of downtown (across the Miami River). The Roads, just southwest of Brickell is a lovely modest neighborhood that is sandwiched between Brickell and Coral Gables. To its north, Little Havana is really coming into its own as well and proximity to the CBD is driving its development into the future.
Wynwood, to DT's north, has fashioned itself into a nationally significant arts district and finds itself the first choice of many Millennials in Miami. To its immediate north, the Design District and Buena Vista Historic District are also nice and emerging neighborhoods.
The thing I see here in Miami more than any other place I've ever lived is the rapid pace of change that happens at the neighborhood level. Given its economic fundamentals, Miami definitely way overachieves in that regard.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 06-21-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If were to just look at neighborhoods within a city's limits, then this thread and poll is "cooked" toward answering Dallas. I say this based on the areas of each city below:
  1. Dallas: 340.5 square miles
  2. Denver: 153 square miles
  3. Atlanta: 133.2 square miles
  4. Miami: 35.7 square miles

Not certain if these are updated numbers or not...
In a way, but I wouldn't consider neighborhoods on the fringes of the Dallas city limits to be "intown."

Old 06-21-2016, 07:59 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'll go with "irony" in this post and enjoy it for its play on words. Miami Beach is apart from Miami, not a part of Miami.
It's cute, It's cute...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City