Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one you'd prefer?
Boston 44 72.13%
Baltimore 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 12:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times

Advertisements

You said they have similarly sized populations but that's not true unless you are looking at largely irrelevant city limits...MSA to MSA, Boston is much larger and that much larger MSA has a direct impact on activities within the city itself...Boston is in a different tier compared to Baltimore...I mean, people can have their individual preferences (lots of people prefer the Charlotte lifestyle to the NYC one), but as far as city vs city I really don't see how Baltimore could win this matchup...I personally prefer Baltimore to Boston but I know Boston wins on factors that traditionally make one city better than another e.g. diversity, density, jobs...and hey, lets keep it real, Bmore has serious entrenched poverty and crime issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 12:47 PM

233 posts, read 368,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Boston:
-The "whitest" city in the Northeast. Largely Irish, some Italians too.
-One of the best economies in the country, tied with DC at 2nd in the Northeast (after NYC). A city on top.
-Much more diverse population, large numbers of Caribbean Hispanics (Dominicans, Puerto Ricans), Caribbean Blacks (Haitians, Jamaicans), Asians. There is also a large native black population. Boston is a big immigration magnet, and also gets run-off from NY tho not as much as Philly does.
-The "Capital of New England", culturally the most Northeastern major city, heavily catholic. Famous food include clam chowder. World renowned for its colleges. Very pretentious and snotty. Much safer and less racial tension.

Baltimore:
-The "blackest" city in the Northeast. Dominated by native Black Americans.
-Of major cities, its economy is below average, considered rustbelt. Worse economy in the Bos-Wash corridor. Though improving and growing slowly. A city on the rise.
- No where near as diverse compared to the rest of the Bos-Wash corridor. White ethnics include some Irish, Italians, and Greeks. There are also small and growing number of Mexicans/central Americans, Puerto Ricans, Jamaicans, and Africans. Ethnic groups seen in Philly, DC, and even NY in large numbers are slowly spreading into the area.
-Though, historically considered southern, its now largely apart of the Northeast. Its considered the epitome of Mid Atlantic culture, a region of Northeastern/Southern mixed identity and culture. However, its often in the shadow of DC and seen as the " redheaded stepchild of the Northeast", or like " college boy DC's jailbird thug lil brother". More gritty and down to earth. Urban decay, higher crime, and racial tension.

Both have similarly sized populations and historically high racial tensions.
Some facts;
"Largely Irish, some Italians too". Boston 15.8%Irish, 8.3% Italian, 6.5% West Indian, 24.1% black.
Both cities are majority minority.
Neither has historically high racial tensions, especially compared to other US cities.
Boston is not "heavily Catholic" - 57% Christian, 25% Protestant, 29% Catholic, also Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism. Baltimore is 12% Catholic; Entire US 20% Catholic
How can you say an entire city is pretentious or snotty - your negative opinion

Your vitriolic sentiments are ugly, racist and misinformed/ignorant. IMHO this thread should be closed - it is simply a hateful diatribe by the OP.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
I would have voted for Baltimore if I had looked at the poll first. I did vote for Boston but I like both cities a lot for different reasons.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:56 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I prefer Boston on almost every criteria. In terms of cost, Baltimore is much more affordable overall.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
It seems like you think we are the worst city of the northeast. What's your point with this thread?

Baltimore does not have a terrible economy and isn't Rustbelt, but Boston's economy is a little better.
It is much colder, which is a negative, and Baltimore is overpriced in some areas. I like that in less than 4 hours you can get to a few major cities from NY to VA from Baltimore; Boston is further away from other northeastern cities.
I meant to say that Boston is overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City