Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:51 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
I spelled it wrong on purpose you country bumpkin' lol..
Another brilliant comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Mississippi is misunderstood/underrated and has a lot of negative stereotypes to overcome. There are very beautiful areas of MS and I don't think most people who comment on it have ever thought about stepping foot into it - they are going only by the slanted comments they've read and heard. Even so, the economic engine that is Atlanta easily pushes Georgia over the top here, and even without Atlanta GA outpaces MS in just about every way. That doesn't make MS a bad place.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM

31 posts, read 23,576 times
Mississippi is the worst ranked state by most any measure. I've been all over MS...from the pseudo-intelligencia of Oxford around the University of Mississippi, to backward Jackson, nasty Greenwood, Tupelo, reprehensible Sugar Ditch, and bogus Tunica.

The only part of Mississippi that is close to being competitive is around Ocean Springs and Pass Christian.

Mississippi backward culture has infected places like Memphis, which makes Memphis fall further behind places like Atlanta , Georgia.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbolito View Post
Mississippi is the worst ranked state by most any measure. I've been all over MS...from the pseudo-intelligencia of Oxford around the University of Mississippi, to backward Jackson, nasty Greenwood, Tupelo, reprehensible Sugar Ditch, and bogus Tunica.

The only part of Mississippi that is close to being competitive is around Ocean Springs and Pass Christian.

Mississippi backward culture has infected places like Memphis, which makes Memphis fall further behind places like Atlanta , Georgia.
Memphis does resemble Mississippi more than it does Tennessee.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Mississippi is misunderstood/underrated and has a lot of negative stereotypes to overcome. There are very beautiful areas of MS and I don't think most people who comment on it have ever thought about stepping foot into it - they are going only by the slanted comments they've read and heard. Even so, the economic engine that is Atlanta easily pushes Georgia over the top here, and even without Atlanta GA outpaces MS in just about every way. That doesn't make MS a bad place.
I agree.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbolito View Post

I think while MS has many negatives you forget the people of MS are still people that want a good life like everybod
Yes their baggage does play a role in how it has not been able to succeed but worldwide ,the places that have the most despair and hardships,create the most unexpected pleasures that life can offer.
Music,food, and all culture in America is derived from places that were as bad as MS.

MS has given so much to the US culture and experience.To ignore it as if its worthless is a rather simplistic and arrogant judgement call.

I do believe if MS did not have such a bad reputation and history,more people would venture there to see its treasures.
I can say that I have met no friendlier people in the US than MS.People will go out of the way to help you.Same cant be said for most "progeeive" states where people wont even recognize you are there.

I like GA but I gotta say that the problem with notoriety and popularity usually is followed by change and then the change is followed by something you dont recognize any more.It may morph into something better or worse.You just dont know,

Old 07-18-2016, 10:30 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I think while MS has many negatives you forget the people of MS are still people that want a good life like everybod
Yes their baggage does play a role in how it has not been able to succeed but worldwide ,the places that have the most despair and hardships,create the most unexpected pleasures that life can offer.
Music,food, and all culture in America is derived from places that were as bad as MS.

MS has given so much to the US culture and experience.To ignore it as if its worthless is a rather simplistic and arrogant judgement call.

I do believe if MS did not have such a bad reputation and history,more people would venture there to see its treasures.
I can say that I have met no friendlier people in the US than MS.People will go out of the way to help you.Same cant be said for most "progeeive" states where people wont even recognize you are there.

I like GA but I gotta say that the problem with notoriety and popularity usually is followed by change and then the change is followed by something you dont recognize any more.It may morph into something better or worse.You just dont know,

Wow ! Well stated !

Old 07-19-2016, 05:13 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
I don't care how beautiful ms is. It is still the most backwards state in the country. It's a reason why people are running towards the boarder to get out the state

Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
The deal with Mississippi is that for the most part, its citizens are perfectly content with their state as it is. Sure, if they really wanted to, they could do something to change their image into something more progressive like Georgia and North Carolina, but they also firmly believe that MS is the last true Southern stronghold and changing that image means compromising their Southern identity.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 AM

56 posts, read 60,549 times
Georgia doesn't really have the qualities of a southern state from a cultural perspective. It's too overcrowded and basically Atlanta=Georgia. Lake Lanier is an example, with its overcrowded and choppy waters, it's like one of the worse lakes in the entire south. Georgia may have more wealth, but that does not equate to class. Georgia is full of transplants from poor low class rust belt areas or people from other areas who couldn't make it where they came from.

I would rather live anywhere in Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City