Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Bay/Estuary?
Salish Sea 10 14.08%
San Francisco Bay 35 49.30%
Chesapeake Bay 18 25.35%
Long Island Sound 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:46 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times

Advertisements

Natural scenery- salish
Manmade scenery- SF
Cities- SF
Towns- SF
Biodiversity- don't know
Seafood- Chesapeak
Water sports/activities- Chesapeak
History- L.I. sound
Culture- SF bay

You should of included the galveston, delaware, and massachusetts bay areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 AM

719 posts, read 986,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Never in my life have I heard of Salish Sea as a term. I'm a fairly big geography buff to. I'll take note of it.

San Francisco Bay gets my vote. A truly stunning, bio diverse area, that has no match in the contiguous states(or outside to my knowledge).
It's a term that the indigenous cultures movement (and particularly Canadians, since they bend over backwards at the slightest mention of surrendering their own history in favor of that of a conquered, minority people) has been pushing very hard.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:24 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Natural scenery- salish
Manmade scenery- SF
Cities- SF
Towns- SF
Biodiversity- don't know
Seafood- Chesapeak
Water sports/activities- Chesapeak
History- L.I. sound
Culture- SF bay

You should of included the galveston, delaware, and massachusetts bay areas.
I was thinking about those but decided not to because of;

Galveston, Houston is way to far inland, yes DC is also inland but the Potomac River is an estuary for quite a distance and the estuary part is just outside of DC. And besides Houston there are not that many other cities.

Delaware, I was very close to adding this one, but there are no actual major cities on it's coast they are all on the Delaware river, either way there is a canal that links it to the Chesapeake Bay, and I imagine that the Delaware is just a smaller, less impressive version of the Chesapeake anyways.

The Massachusetts Bay, is a bay but it's a bit to open, and I was looking for something more like an estuary and maybe that's what I probably should've titled it as such, and if I did add it, than any place with a bent coast line would need to be added as well.

another contender would've been Pamlico Sound in NC but it has no major cities.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
It's a term that the indigenous cultures movement (and particularly Canadians, since they bend over backwards at the slightest mention of surrendering their own history in favor of that of a conquered, minority people) has been pushing very hard.
Interesting. Thanks for the info

Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Never in my life have I heard of Salish Sea as a term. I'm a fairly big geography buff to. I'll take note of it.

San Francisco Bay gets my vote. A truly stunning, bio diverse area, that has no match in the contiguous states(or outside to my knowledge).
I would argue that the Salish (Puget/Georgia/Juan de Fuca) is more bio diverse when it comes to marine life but then again I might be wrong.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:56 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I would argue that the Salish (Puget/Georgia/Juan de Fuca) is more bio diverse when it comes to marine life but then again I might be wrong.
You might be right. I really don't know. SF Bay in my experience seems like it might have more micro climates, that have warmer temperatures than the Salish area, therefore being more diverse.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 AM

Quote:
You might be right. I really don't know. SF Bay in my experience seems like it might have more micro climates, that have warmer temperatures than the Salish area, therefore being more diverse.
terrestrial life maybe, but I don't think that's the case with marine life. the Puget sound is also much deeper so it can fit large animals too such as whales and sharks.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
terrestrial life maybe, but I don't think that's the case with marine life. the Puget sound is also much deeper so it can fit large animals too such as whales and sharks.
Uh, so do we...this is from yesterday:

Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
I'll take the Salish Sea, with SF Bay second. The name isn't all that well known outside the region, but it's growing in popularity in some areas. And, relatively speaking, it's a very recent development.

Many people in the San Juans or north of Anacortes towards BC don't refer to the body of water near them as Puget Sound- they generally identify with whatever strait or bay they're near. And as a way of referring to the broader region, I think it's a good idea.

It's tough to beat the scenery, from whale watching to mountain backdrops to quaint island towns. And the country's largest ferry system makes it relatively to explore.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Quote:
I was thinking about those but decided not to because of;

Galveston, Houston is way to far inland, yes DC is also inland but the Potomac River is an estuary for quite a distance and the estuary part is just outside of DC. And besides Houston there are not that many other cities.

Delaware, I was very close to adding this one, but there are no actual major cities on it's coast they are all on the Delaware river, either way there is a canal that links it to the Chesapeake Bay, and I imagine that the Delaware is just a smaller, less impressive version of the Chesapeake anyways.

The Massachusetts Bay, is a bay but it's a bit to open, and I was looking for something more like an estuary and maybe that's what I probably should've titled it as such, and if I did add it, than any place with a bent coast line would need to be added as well.

another contender would've been Pamlico Sound in NC but it has no major cities.
DC is over 100 miles to the chesapeak, Philly is way closer to the delaware bay. I don't understand your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City