Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
There is a really relaxed atmosphere and a much slower pace than in many northern places. I just returned from a vacation up in Fairfax Virginia and Washington DC and I have to ay, while that area is absolutely beautiful, the people there, including my own relatives, are very arrogant and elitist. For example, when we called their place on the Potomac river in Bushwood a "camp" we were reminded that "camps are for childre and lowlifes. This is a second home". Also, pawnshops are called thrift stores because surtely no northerner would dare be caught in a pawnshop. I knw not everyone is like that but that kind of arrogance really made me miss the South. Im glad to be home.
There's much, much more to the "north" than just Virginia, which is really the south.
Lot's of pawn shops up there, too. Thrift stores are where people donate stuff to the store, and the proceeds are used for charity.

D.C. is a poor example of humanity regardless of what region you put it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:05 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
honestly, while Louisiana is hot, humid, and has backwards governmental policies, its still really not horrible to live here. Especially not in the metro centers of Southern Louisiana. This area currently has low unemployment and is experiencing a lot of growth. During the summer, temps can get very high, with masny weeks of 90+ and plenty of rain, but during other months in the fall or winter, it is downright pleasant here. Schoolwise, you can find some good public schools if you do your research, but generally people put their kids in private schools. SOme of the positives of living here are the food, people and culture. The people here especially are very open and accomodating, even to outsiders. There is a really relaxed atmosphere and a much slower pace than in many northern places. I just returned from a vacation up in Fairfax Virginia and Washington DC and I have to ay, while that area is absolutely beautiful, the people there, including my own relatives, are very arrogant and elitist. For example, when we called their place on the Potomac river in Bushwood a "camp" we were reminded that "camps are for childre and lowlifes. This is a second home". Also, pawnshops are called thrift stores because surtely no northerner would dare be caught in a pawnshop. I knw not everyone is like that but that kind of arrogance really made me miss the South. Im glad to be home.
No camps, but second homes huh? Reminds me of the rich who say things like "ohhhh, myyyyyyy!" When snobbing out on someone. I can't believe that there are people so full of themselves in this day and time, but I guess so

Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Generally I would agree with those who say you can't broadly say any state is entirely bad or to be avoided. I have never been anywhere where I didn't find something I could appreciate.

I assume Tallrick you are looking for quiet retirement. I have to wonder what you don't like about KL. Seems like a nice place to retire. I doubt better weather can be found for cheaper. Mabe you'd like a nice quiet home in the old south away from coast (hurricanes). I doubt a Floridian will adapt well to the Montana winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City