Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite modern drive?
The Bay Bridge (San Francisco + Oakland) 4 20.00%
Lake Shore Drive (Chicago) 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

Favorite modern drive: the Bay Bridge (San Francisco Bay Area) or Lake Shore Drive (Chicago)

These are my two favorite modern drives in the United States.

Lake Shore Drive is a great ambassador for the city of Chicago as far as drivable streets go. The location abutting the lake and curving along with the lake as well as the dense built environment that surrounds it is pretty spectacular. Some of the best architectural zones in the city radiate from Lake Shore Drive through the central core of the city of Chicago. Chicago in general is a very aesthetically lovable city, in American terms and global terms, and the drive is especially unique for that reason. Also the drive is probably the best waterfront drive or at least in the mix with the MacArthur Causeway in Miami, the Bay Bridge in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Seattle Viaduct, in America.

The drive on the Bay Bridge is excellent. The bridge was recently upgraded and the upgrades were pretty spectacular. I give the new bridge an A+ on presentation, aesthetics, and comfort for drive. I enjoy it for both the day drive and night drive but more so the night drive because the LED lighting and furnish of the actual bridge are aesthetically lovable and at night, they tend to shine at their best. The spires and suspension cables are really well done. The drive is pretty long and quite enjoyable because you go from East Bay to the Peninsula and you can literally watch the city's presence get larger the closer you move towards it. The scenery you can see both immediately and off to a distance also enhance the drive too. I also love how enormous the look and feel of the bridge is. The thing is a monster.

Choose between these two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 04:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
This one is tough. I actually like the Golden Gate Bridge better than the Bay Bridge. I'm picking LSD though. My favorite drive in Chicago.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:46 PM

251 posts, read 311,504 times
They may be my two favorite also but I picked Lake Shore Drive. It'll be especially fun in October using it to get up to Wrigley to see playoff baseball this year.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
LSD for me, although I agree with above that I like the drive on the GG bridge better than the Bay Bridge.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM

30 posts, read 27,363 times
I do love LSD. So beautiful, green, and makes Chicago feel so sophisticated (not that it isn't but even more).

Really quite beautiful.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,136 times
Lake shore is an awesome drive - but I actually enjoy the west bound Bay Bridge drive more because of how it spits you out of the Yurba Buena tunnel and then "Bam" the City is right there. The GG Bridge is nice, but the view of the City is basically non-existant. The Bay Bridge is much better urban drive.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

The drive on the Bay Bridge is excellent.
I often drive 10 miles extra to take the Golden Gate Bridge when coming back from Sacramento to avoid the horrendous traffic jams on the Bay Bridge. I never go to Oakland or Berkeley because of that bridge. I hate driving on that horrible bridge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City