Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top 15 metro's who has the best 12 month weather
New York/NJ/PA 1 1.23%
Los Angeles 34 41.98%
Chicago 4 4.94%
Dallas 1 1.23%
Houston 1 1.23%
Washington 1 1.23%
Philadelphia 1 1.23%
Miami 5 6.17%
Atlanta 3 3.70%
Boston 0 0%
San Francisco 14 17.28%
Phoenix 9 11.11%
Riverside- San Bernardino 2 2.47%
Detroit 0 0%
Seattle 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Sorry, but you've apparently never experienced a real winter and probably throw on a North Face jacket if the temp drops below 70. If you think Denver's horrible visit Minneapolis in January.
I have experienced 18 of them growing up in Upstate NY, and Denver is Hardiness Zone 5B, which means the coldest temp in an average year is -15°F/-26.1°C to -11°F/-23.9°C, they avg 60" of snow, and there normal low is below 32°F/0°C from October 27th until April 7th, and the normal high is below 50°F/10°C from November 21st until March 2nd, that is a cold winter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I get everyone's like for a Mediterranean-type of climate. However, I have to admit that a city such as Albuquerque has some pretty decent weather overall as well.
I would agree... Sunny dry climate with not much heat, short cool winter with occasional dusting of snow, long beautiful fall season, spring is a long season due to cool nights and warm days. East mountains divert the cold fronts in the winter and spring. A few weeks of spring wind to send the tumbleweeds flying....
The hottest temp on record is 107 some decades ago. Humidity usually around 25% and often single digits.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would agree... Sunny dry climate with not much heat, short cool winter with occasional dusting of snow, long beautiful fall season, spring is a long season due to cool nights and warm days. East mountains divert the cold fronts in the winter and spring. A few weeks of spring wind to send the tumbleweeds flying....
The hottest temp on record is 107 some decades ago. Humidity usually around 25% and often single digits.
Agree.

Doesn't get much better then that!

Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I have experienced 18 of them growing up in Upstate NY, and Denver is Hardiness Zone 5B, which means the coldest temp in an average year is -15°F/-26.1°C to -11°F/-23.9°C, they avg 60" of snow, and there normal low is below 32°F/0°C from October 27th until April 7th, and the normal high is below 50°F/10°C from November 21st until March 2nd, that is a cold winter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well said. Those that say Denver's winter is "mild" are bonafide nuts. Just because its a bit sunnier than some cities and the snow melts relatively quick, doesnt mean its "mild". Denver is flat out cold and snowy, and the winter seems to last forever. While the rest of the country is enjoying Spring and wearing shorts and hiking/biking, a lot of times Denver is having a blizzard. Not very "mild" if you ask me.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM

760 posts, read 883,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well said. Those that say Denver's winter is "mild" are bonafide nuts. Just because its a bit sunnier than some cities and the snow melts relatively quick, doesnt mean its "mild". Denver is flat out cold and snowy, and the winter seems to last forever. While the rest of the country is enjoying Spring and wearing shorts and hiking/biking, a lot of times Denver is having a blizzard. Not very "mild" if you ask me.
I was mountain biking in the foothills in early Feb.

For a real winter it is mild. But I use the definition of winter as a classic, stereotypical, winter. Sure it's different than a city that happens to be warm in the winter months.

I would say it is smack in the middle of winter weather, comparing real winter cities and warm cities. Having weeks of 70F and sun, with the ground completely dry and snow free, is pretty mild...try having that in half of the cities in the country.

Winter is only really a thing between mid December and mid Feb. The rest of the time, winter weather is just a 2-3 day occurrence, ending back in the 60-70s with sun just a day after.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I was mountain biking in the foothills in early Feb.

For a real winter it is mild. But I use the definition of winter as a classic, stereotypical, winter. Sure it's different than a city that happens to be warm in the winter months.

I would say it is smack in the middle of winter weather, comparing real winter cities and warm cities. Having weeks of 70F and sun, with the ground completely dry and snow free, is pretty mild...try having that in half of the cities in the country.

Winter is only really a thing between mid December and mid Feb. The rest of the time, winter weather is just a 2-3 day occurrence, ending back in the 60-70s with sun just a day after.
Ive biked in Chicago in teh dead of winter, too, during mild spells. The only difference here is that Chicago's winter ends in March, with occasional cold snaps and flurries a little bit past there, but Denver still gets raging blizzards well beyond that. I guess Denver's winter might be a bit more mild, but its just too long, which negates the "mild" portion. I took the train out to Denver a few Octobers ago from Chicago, and Denver was the coldest stop along the way, by a long shot. It was downright FRIGID, where Chicago was still very mild.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM

24 posts, read 32,054 times
L.A easily. Bay area is a bit cooler, Atlanta is probably the best of the "Humid" climates.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 AM

163 posts, read 165,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfounded12 View Post
L.A easily. Bay area is a bit cooler, Atlanta is probably the best of the "Humid" climates.
Only in terms of cooler summer temps.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 32,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Only in terms of cooler summer temps.
Atlanta's winters are much milder then places like NY, Chicago or D.C. And their summers aren't as bad as Dallas, Houston or Miami. Spring and Falls are general quite nice there to. Like I said imo it's probably the best of the humid climates but it has nothing on L.A

Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
"Best" is a VERY relative term, especially with climate. I am VERY different in this regard, lol. I love all 4 seasons in different ways, my favorite being Summer. I can handle very hot and very cold weather just fine, as long as I can dress appropriately. I LOVE snow!!! I prefer the climates like Charlotte and Washington DC, but I could handle FL and MN as well if I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City