Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd Best City in all America!!
CHICAGO 63 32.98%
LOS ANGELES 42 21.99%
ATLANTA 4 2.09%
SAN FRANCISCO 22 11.52%
WASHINGTON DC 13 6.81%
MIAMI 3 1.57%
LAS VEGAS 1 0.52%
BOSTON 12 6.28%
PHILADLEPHIA 17 8.90%
HOUSTON 4 2.09%
DALLAS 2 1.05%
SEATTLE 8 4.19%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:47 PM

65 posts, read 55,661 times

Advertisements

Obviously L.A.
https://www.atkearney.com/research-s...esearch-detail

Old 11-10-2016, 01:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnative1989 View Post
1A - NYC
1B - LA

In my opinion, NYC/LA should be tied for #1 with Chicago or Boston as #2.

Sorry, I'm not willing to concede NYC #1. It might be prominent, but it's not best.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:55 PM

153 posts, read 163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Candy View Post
Your sight did not post originally so I reposted it in your quote. I believe you meant the one I am posting? Where LA in global current rank is one place above Chicago.
LA at #6 and Chicago at #7.
But in future Global rank Chicago is #11 up from #17 in 2015. LA is ranked in the future as # 21 remaining the same from 2015. But Boston, Houston and Atlanta skyrocket in future rank here. But Chicago rising is noteworthy that could continue. Time will tell if LA and Chicago maintain titles of 2nd and 3rd in stature overall and populations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
-Vibrancy - Chicago
-Density - Chicago, LA. Someone (nei?) had an exhaustive post regarding density by census tracts in a metro which seemed to do a good job of adjusting for the very different legal city limits of different cities and Los Angeles and Chicago ended up densest / with the largest number of people living in dense tracts outside of NYC.
-Things to Do - Chicago, Los Angeles
-Natural Scenery - Los Angeles, Boston, Miami
-Weather/Climate - Los Angeles
-Job Prospects/Economic Performance - San Francisco, DC, Seattle (Dallas and Houston have recently had minor setbacks because of oil prices)
-Qol/Col - This is pretty personal to a specific person's context
-Growth - Houston, Dallas
-Diversity - LA (in terms of number of large diverse communities)
-Neigborhoods and Districts - Chicago
-Rapid Transit/Traffic - Chicago
-Most International - LA, though most people living there aren't quite that international
-Global Fame - LA
-Global Connections - DC, maybe LA
-Global Prominence - LA
-International Companies - Chicago, Houston, SF (if including the greater Bay Area)
-International Institutions - DC, NGOs galore
-Global Alpha City - Los Angeles, Chicago (by most rankings I've seen, though I think DC is in actuality ahead of both)
Good post list. I'd also add these cities to some in your list.
-Natural scenery - SF
-Rapid Transit/Traffic - Philly
-Global Prominence - SF (it still gets the credit for Silicon Valley), and Chicago (because in global rankings list. Chicago beats LA. But not in Global Fame)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Hate to play devil's advocate here, but according to some measures, Economic Performance, Growth ,International Institutions, Can it really be said to be Chicago hmm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Well, let's see.

1) Not talking about CSA - still 3rd largest economy in the US for GDP by MSA.
2) 2014 to 2015 GDP growth rate was higher than NYC, Seattle, Minneapolis, DC, Atlanta, San Diego, etc and not that far behind LA. http://www.bea.gov
3) Nearly highest number of employed persons in the city since 1990 right now (just 2700 lower than the high). http://www.bls.gov
4) Percentage of 6 figure households increased between 2014 and 2015 more than San Francisco, Austin, Denver, DC, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Houston, NYC, San Diego, etc. SOURCE: US CENSUS
5) Increase in number of 6 figure earning households from 2014 to 2015 increased almost as much as LA, even though LA had 90,000 more 6 figure earning households in 2014 than Chicago did.
5) Unemployment rate is close to mid 2007 levels before the recession and in the range of 1999 and 2000. http://www.bls.gov
6) Corporate relocations continue to happen - either from the area to the city or from outside of the area (i.e. McDonald's moving to the city. Duracell moving 60 executives including the CEO).
7) Bachelor's and higher percentage almost the same as NYC and has increased a lot since 2010.

I'd say yes. Don't believe everything you read in the media that the city is burning. Some major problems, obviously but as I've said before and many people will tell you the same thing - huge tale of two cities.
Great Poster as usual. in reply to a post questioning how and why Chicago is maintaining high levels and in business importance too. To still be worthy of 2nd city still. Not to lessen LA at all. Why I voted Chicago still maintains in levels of its stature. Still being the 2nd city in Global business levels

I will also add. Chicago certainly has the 2nd Best Downtown.(very impressed with its evolving and renewing and restoration of its older Architecture to much of its new buildings, increase in density, grand parks and in its greatly enhancing of its aesthetic appeal as the 2nd Greatest American Urban Core. But in Global FAME? LA will be 2nd with Hollywood influence.

Ironically a few TV shows are filmed in Chicago today some with Chicago in its titles. This adds to recognition of Chicago in the news other then gangland crime. The Chicago Cubs winning the World Series, also was a Nationally talked about favorable view for the city. Wrigley Field is also a Tourist attraction for visitors to the city. I believe the Chicago Cubs also fits as being America's Baseball Team of the Decade now? Especially if it can win again? It was the favorite Nationally I believe rooted for. I know it was by me in the Northeast in my local Pub and workplace.

Again the Huge LA Region still has the larger GDP then Chicagoland and in Global Fame. But not in Global level in business level of importance to maintain a America's 2nd city claim. But other cities especially the sunbelt. Will continue to grow in various levels. We will see in time if Chicago and LA and even SF /Silicon Valley region? Can maintain as many levels of importance?

Just throwing this in. Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Choice Awards.
More than 159,000 people voted in the awards.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...s-new-rankings

Chicago by Tripadvisor's 2016 list of US best travel to cities.
#1 NYC
#2 Las Vegas
#3 Orlando
#4 Chicago

2 & 3 are fully resort cities before Chicago and of course NYC above all cities.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Travel and Leisure #7 Chicago, #8 NYC with Charleston, SC #1 and New Orleans #2.
World's Best Awards 2016 | Travel + Leisure

#3 Chicago, #2 DC, #1 NYC
Top 10 Best American Downtowns - Toptenz.net

Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 PM

182 posts, read 718,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Cleveland. Yes. Cleveland.
Yes why no clevlandr

Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboy06 View Post
Yes why no clevlandr
You think Cleveland, OH outclasses the cities above? Haha..

Old 11-11-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Alrite lets get to the bottom of this, I'm gonna be Honest, been going thru City Data threads and excluding New Tork One City I've notice that beats them all is .......Chicago. It beats Anything in Texas even goes toe to toe With things in California, To Be Honest, According to some past City Data Threads Chicago Even Tops Los Angeles. But that was years ago. Time for an Update.

Assuming "New York City" reigns supreme as America's Prominent City. What is "officially" number 2 in the nation via a Vote in a City Data Poll.

Things that Urbanites and People on City Data Look For
-Vibrancy
-Density
-Things to Do
-Natural Scenery
-Weather/Climate
-Job Prospects/Economic Performance
-Qol/Col
-Growth
-Sports
-Diversity
-Neigborhoods and Districts
-Rapid Transit/Traffic
-Most International
-Global Fame
-Global Connections
-Global Prominence
-International Companies
-International Institutions
-Global Alpha City

*2nd Best City in America according to you Is ??

Assuming people read this right its:

Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington D.C.
San Francisco
Boston
Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Dallas
Seattle
Las Vegas

Old 11-11-2016, 05:07 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Chicago.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Chicago.
No way

Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Candy View Post
No way
I assume your post before meant LA would be #2 and Chicago #3 right?

Old 11-11-2016, 10:22 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's either San Jose, Raleigh, or Cleveland... Unless, of course we're willing to break New York into boroughs, in which case it's every borough, except Staten Island.
Speaking as someone who grew up in Staten Island, I ... oh, crap! I have to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City