Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the friendliest people?
Phoenix, AZ 36 38.30%
Tucson, AZ 25 26.60%
El Paso, TX 33 35.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 AM

38 posts, read 53,160 times

Advertisements

Out of these three cities, which city has the friendliest people who are nice and helpful? I think Phoenix tops the list on this one with Tucson coming in at 2nd place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
El Paso cuz its in TX

Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Phoenix of course.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix of course.
Phoenix is winning so far with El Paso in 2nd place. Phoenix has the friendliest people in the southwest.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:10 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Phoenix has some of the least friendly people I have ever dealt with and that's coming from someone born and raised there and still lives there a good chunk of the year. Tucson isn't full of stuck-up materialistic Snobsdale citizens (or pretend to be Snobsdale) which is probably the biggest reason why I prefer Tucson over my home town.

I jokingly call it the "Phoenix Freeze" sort of like the Seattle Freeze...

Natives are very cliquish and transplants like to stick to the "don't talk to strangers" thing so it can be hard to break the ice.

Never been to El Paso but I'm sure it's still better than Phoenix. But will vote for Tucson.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix has some of the least friendly people I have ever dealt with and that's coming from someone born and raised there and still lives there a good chunk of the year. Tucson isn't full of stuck-up materialistic Snobsdale citizens (or pretend to be Snobsdale) which is probably the biggest reason why I prefer Tucson over my home town.

Natives are very cliquish and transplants like to stick to the "don't talk to strangers" thing so it can be hard to break the ice.

Never been to El Paso but I'm sure it's still better than Phoenix. But will vote for Tucson.
Lol El Paso sucks. Don't ever go there, you would not like it. I've never had any trouble with Phoenix people. I did find some Tucson people to be rude, but not incredibly rude. I still think Phoenix has friendly people, maybe not Scottsdale, but the rest of the suburbs do.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:

I relocated to Phoenix not knowing a sole here and have managed to make a lot of great friends over the years, people seem pretty talkative to me compared to most cities, whether it's at a sports event, on the train, at a bar/pub, or even hiking/biking in the mountains.

I remember being in shock when people would say good morning to me on the trail, even during the hottest part of the year when only the die-hards are out on the trails at 4-5am getting their workout in before the heat of the day sets in.

What you described was definitely my experience during a short stint in the Northeast. As a newcomer I asked a few groups if I could tag along on a hike to get to know an area and was told flat-out no, I had never experienced anything like that in the Southwest and it was part of the reason I had little desire to stay in that region longer.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I relocated to Phoenix not knowing a sole here and have managed to make a lot of great friends over the years, people seem pretty talkative to me compared to most cities, whether it's at a sports event, on the train, at a bar/pub, or even hiking/biking in the mountains.

I remember being in shock when people would say good morning to me on the trail, even during the hottest part of the year when only the die-hards are out on the trails at 4-5am getting their workout in before the heat of the day sets in.

What you described was definitely my experience during a short stint in the Northeast. As a newcomer I asked a few groups if I could tag along on a hike to get to know an area and was told flat-out no, I had never experienced anything like that in the Southwest and it was part of the reason I had little desire to stay in that region longer.
Well what I described is Arizona natives who without a shadow of a doubt do not like growing their circles and prefer to keep things like they were in high school. My parents are like this as well, their friends from outside the family are still the ones they met in high school in Phoenix and Mesa respectively and they are in the 50s now. Transplants are different to a degree but if the transplants are coming from say, Los Angeles or Chicago, I think it's worse IMO. This is entirely based on my anecdotal evidence of living here my whole life. I also have gotten the NO to join many people.

Scottsdale has some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. I am occasionally over there because that's where most of my family lives. I grew up in West Valley out in Peoria and Glendale. It got "better" the closer I moved in to town. At first I lived next to the retirees in Sun City, then moved to Arrowhead, and now I live due south of ASU West. Where I live now in Glendale, despite being lower income and a "questionable" looking area (despite having a lower crime rate than Arrowhead to my surprise), the people are a lot nicer as a whole. My neighborhood now is a healthy mixture of retirees (original homeowners) and minorities with young children. I feel confident enough to talk about Scottsdale as most people I currently interact with are from there even here in Tucson.

Tucsonans are very nice people but they usually don't look like it (grungy looking) which is probably why you think they are potentially rude. They don't necessarily give off a nice appearance but do act very nice.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Well what I described is Arizona natives who without a shadow of a doubt do not like growing their circles and prefer to keep things like they were in high school. My parents are like this as well, their friends from outside the family are still the ones they met in high school in Phoenix and Mesa respectively and they are in the 50s now. Transplants are different to a degree but if the transplants are coming from say, Los Angeles or Chicago, I think it's worse IMO. This is entirely based on my anecdotal evidence of living here my whole life. I also have gotten the NO to join many people.

Scottsdale has some of the worst people I have ever dealt with. I am occasionally over there because that's where most of my family lives. I grew up in West Valley out in Peoria and Glendale. It got "better" the closer I moved in to town. At first I lived next to the retirees in Sun City, then moved to Arrowhead, and now I live due south of ASU West. Where I live now in Glendale, despite being lower income and a "questionable" looking area (despite having a lower crime rate than Arrowhead to my surprise), the people are a lot nicer as a whole. My neighborhood now is a healthy mixture of retirees (original homeowners) and minorities with young children. I feel confident enough to talk about Scottsdale as most people I currently interact with are from there even here in Tucson.

Tucsonans are very nice people but they usually don't look like it (grungy looking) which is probably why you think they are potentially rude. They don't necessarily give off a nice appearance but do act very nice.
Still, I love Phoenix. I hope to move there within the next year and a half.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:22 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
El Paso consistently comes low in polls because most people have a bad image of it being on the border and have never been there. I have been to all three cities and have lived in El Paso and find it very very friendly. Also a little known fact is that ELP consistently ranks one of the top five safest cities in the nation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City