Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:38 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You have to admit, for whatever reason, a few Toronto forumers on C-D tend to be unusually trolling and ridiculous. It's been a recurring issue.

Toronto is a great city, but SOME residents have delusions of grandeur, and think their city is just the greatest place anywhere, and can't stand it that the city is commonly regarded as generic/sterile and are always worked up that the city has relatively little recognition outside of Canada.

Agree. I can boil down my take on Toronto posters in two general bullets:
  • Some of the most knowledgeable posters -- of their city -- on C-D. Toronto posters are passionate and some even almost have a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of their city. Actually pretty impressive.
  • Unfortunately, in many cases, bullet one begets bullet two. They are ****so**** passionate about their city that they are often blind to its foibles, are too myopic to allow other perspectives or (and agreeing with the above) simply hold delusions of grandeur. Toronto is a great city, and can be potentially classified as world class. However, whenever I see these Toronto versus threads, their posters won't give an inch in many cases, or allow that their city may not be the best at something. There are even a few posters in this thread who challenging the vote above. Well, guess what? You're posting in a dedicated "Toronto versus..." thread in C-D forum, so that poll you are trying to so conveniently wipe away, is the entire foundation of the thread.
Kind of gets tiresome. Regardless, all cities have their own unique degree and number of insufferable posters. Chicago is not immune.

Last edited by BigLake; 11-21-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Ignorance across the board.
Rude Torontonians across the board.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:46 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
  • Some of the most knowledgeable posters -- of their city -- on C-D. Toronto posters are passionate and some even almost have a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of their city. Actually pretty impressive.
  • Unfortunately, in many cases, bullet one begets bullet two. They are ****so**** passionate about their city that they are often blind to its foibles, are too myopic to allow other perspectives or (and agreeing with the above) simply hold delusions of grandeur. Toronto is a great city, and more than likely can be classified as world class. However, whenever I see these Toronto versus threads, their posters won't give an inch in many cases, or allow that their city may not be the best at something. There are even a few posters in this thread who challenging the vote above. Well, guess what? You're posting in a dedicated Toronto versus..." thread in C-D forum, so that poll you are trying to wipe away, is the entire foundation of the thread.
Kind of gets tiresome.
I'm a "Toronto poster" (relocated here from Boston more than 2 years ago) and agree with the above I am invested in the city (own my own apartment) but personally I try to be open about ways to make our city a better place to live as long as the discourse is civil, and as long as the critiques are constructive, are based on first hand experiences and/or observations and/or cited evidence, and are not just repetitions of the same vague tirades (i.e. ugly architecture, no culture/identity/persona etc. etc.).

I can readily agree that Toronto has a smaller economy, smaller GDP, and lesser global economic influence than Chicago. These can easily be verified by data and citations, and should be the consensus by any objective observer.

I cannot readily agree that Toronto lacks a "civic persona" or that "multiculturalism is not a Toronto identity" simply based on some outdated perceptions, anecdotes, and vague ideals of what the city should or shouldn't be from people who don't live in the city.

I would expect the same when commenting on any other city - when I write about Chicago I don't go out of my way to solely focus on Chitown's high murder rates. Yes Chicago may have higher crime rates but repeatedly rehashing that same point over and over would also make it an extremely myopic and biased way of looking at a city as large, diverse as Chicago which has so much more to offer.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 11-21-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 01:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
[quote=bostonkid123;46268471]

I cannot readily agree that Toronto lacks a "civic persona" or that "multiculturalism is not a Toronto identity" simply based on some outdated perceptions, anecdotes, and vague ideals of what the city should or shouldn't be from people who don't live in the city.

[quote]

I've been to Toronto a couple of times and agree with you. Toronto has its own character and unique aspects. I think its "multicultural-ism" makes up is its outward appearance to the world. A good thing.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:38 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I'm a "Toronto poster" (relocated here from Boston more than 2 years ago) and agree with the above I am invested in the city (own my own apartment) but personally I try to be open about ways to make our city a better place to live as long as the discourse is civil, and as long as the critiques are constructive, are based on first hand experiences and/or observations and/or cited evidence, and are not just repetitions of the same vague tirades (i.e. ugly architecture, no culture/identity/persona etc. etc.).

I can readily agree that Toronto has a smaller economy, smaller GDP, and lesser global economic influence than Chicago. These can easily be verified by data and citations, and should be the consensus by any objective observer.

I would expect the same when commenting on any other city - when I write about Chicago I don't go out of my way to solely focus on Chitown's high murder rates. Yes Chicago may have higher crime rates but repeatedly rehashing that same point over and over would also make it an extremely myopic and biased way of looking at a city as large, diverse as Chicago which has so much more to offer.

From a British paper. Written by a Toronto guy though.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...an-canada-week

Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 PM

153 posts, read 163,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Finally a CIVIL PAGE OF POST. With the ^^^^above highlighted and underlined. What a COUPLE POSTERS are allowed to keep posting and INFURIATING to BAITING the thread of BASHING CHICAGO then DEFENCE that comments get back as MEANINGLESS. Like
  • GDP means nothing.
  • Stats on Construction up to pre-boom numbers the crash of 07 was devastating to Chicago's boom halted then with Super-Tall skyscrapers started and STOPPED. One was 20-stories and completed a few years later as a different building.
  • Improvements the city made last 20 years to enhance and give the city a new look of Sophistication and erase more and more of it being in the US Rust-belt.
  • Steer the city to a Tourist friendly and STRIVE to add ATRACTIONS that are a TOTAL SUCCESS in what its aim was.
  • Removed its Notorious failed Housing projects.
  • Removed the worst of blight and Riot damage of the past and abandoned unsalvageable past industry.
A couple DISMISS IT ALL as YOUR CITY IS DECLINING AND THATS IT. CRIME CRIME CRIME. Chicago has HUGE ISSUES and ALWAYS had some to del with.
No city DESERVES CONSTANT PUT-DOWNS and NONE ACKNOWLEGING SUCESSES. I APPAUD any city's ARRIVAL like those growing in much larger populations in the US Sunbelt. Only ONE US city will HANG ON TO ITS SPOT as UNTOUCHABLE in Stature and Investments in the US, that of course is NYC.

Toronto will become why it is destined to be. BUT NOT IN BOASTING BY LOW-BLOWS and DEMEANING EVERY OTHER CITY. Especially in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
  • Unfortunately, in many cases, bullet one begets bullet two. They are ****so**** passionate about their city that they are often blind to its foibles, are too myopic to allow other perspectives or (and agreeing with the above) simply hold delusions of grandeur. Toronto is a great city, and can be potentially classified as world class. However, whenever I see these Toronto versus threads, their posters won't give an inch in many cases, or allow that their city may not be the best at something. There are even a few posters in this thread who challenging the vote above. Well, guess what? You're posting in a dedicated "Toronto versus..." thread in C-D forum, so that poll you are trying to so conveniently wipe away, is the entire foundation of the thread.
Kind of gets tiresome. Regardless, all cities have their own unique degree and number of insufferable posters. Chicago is not immune.
Another GREAT POST on the problem of the threads discussions.^^^^BUT another **Post BEFORE MY ENTIRE ONE HERE. IS A SHORT BUT EXAMPLE OF WHAT THIS THREAD PAGE WAS ADDRESSING.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Ignorance across the board.
I don't blame them to be honest.

When something stands out or does well, it always seems to be the most hated and/or feared among its peers.
It's the way of life I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City