Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
LA 66 43.71%
Pittsburgh 82 54.30%
Tie 3 1.99%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
LA is only about as dense as my suburban town of Baldwin, New York, partly for that reason I have a hard time thinking of LA as being urban
Don't let the overall density of 8k fool you, quite a bit of that is taken up by mountains, census tracts are where it's at, the area around Echo Park has a density of 50k ppsm, and Koreatown is over 40k ppsm. Most of the LA Basin avg's 10-15k ppsm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 05:28 AM

112 posts, read 154,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
lol neither does LA.

Lol it's quite obvious LA or anything Cali related get so much downplay from lame eastcoast posters on this forum. No point in an arguement as the 2nd largest city it will get the hate that come with it. You can ask if some cowtown texas city is more urban than LA and these weirdos would say yes too LOL. I looked up Pittsburg on maps and laugh, you can't be serious with all that open space and grass lmao **** the eastcoast

Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM

112 posts, read 154,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't let the overall density of 8k fool you, quite a bit of that is taken up by mountains, census tracts are where it's at, the area around Echo Park has a density of 50k ppsm, and Koreatown is over 40k ppsm. Most of the LA Basin avg's 10-15k ppsm
Why even reply to that poster with any rational sense? It's obvious someone is a troll when they mention some nobody town noone will ever know about and say it's as urban as the city!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:13 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Remember guys, the question wasn't which city is more urban, but which city looks/feels more urban.

The conventional argument regarding LA is that even though it has a suburban-appearing built form, it packs in a high population density, and even a high unit density due to things like accessory units tucked away on the back side of deep parcels. Basically, that LA might not look urban, but that it is urban nonetheless.

Pittsburgh has traditional urban form in spades. Around a third of the city by land area is dominated by neighborhoods of rowhouse density or higher. This doesn't sound like much (especially given the small size of the city) but it's probably the most cohesive city in terms of built urban form off the east coast, excluding Chicago, San Francisco, and perhaps Seattle these days.

"Feels urban" is much harder to define, as someone could use it to describe virtually anything. I'd take this to mean that when walking around on the street there's a lot of pedestrian bustle. Opinions may differ however.

Last edited by eschaton; 11-08-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 07:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Urbanity and density are not the same thing. Third World shantytowns and favelas have incredibly dense populations, but lack urban infrastructure. Suburban style apartment complexes can provide great population density. On the flipside, mixed use it areas can be supremely urban, while meeting a little population density because majority of the space isn't being used for housing. I posted a couple of photographic examples last night, but they seem to have been deleted.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:48 AM

237 posts, read 179,517 times
Quote:
Yup.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:50 AM

237 posts, read 179,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
LA is only about as dense as my suburban town of Baldwin, New York, partly for that reason I have a hard time thinking of LA as being urban
Ummm
Whut?

Most of nyc metro isnt as dense as la metro....

Old 11-08-2016, 08:25 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
I'd say that as a whole Pittsburgh is more urban although downtown LA looks and feels more grand if you will...mainly due to the taller buildings.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Urbanity and density are not the same thing. Third World shantytowns and favelas have incredibly dense populations, but lack urban infrastructure. Suburban style apartment complexes can provide great population density. On the flipside, mixed use it areas can be supremely urban, while meeting a little population density because majority of the space isn't being used for housing. I posted a couple of photographic examples last night, but they seem to have been deleted.
Yup, those shantytown like conditions is partly why LA is so dense.

L.A. and Orange counties are an epicenter of overcrowded housing - Page 2 - latimes

Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Echo Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0792...7i13312!8i6656

Koreatown is EASILY the most urban neighborhood in all of Los Angeles. but it is very much an anomaly. A larger percentage of Pittsburgh is urban in form than Los Angeles. Take a look at these links below. These neighborhoods are home to more than half of Pittsburgh's population. Pittsburgh is, on the whole, more urban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's a group of streetviews I put together for a thread on another forum from the classically urban residential streets in Pitttsburgh. I excluded business districts.

Apartment Districts:

North Oakland
North Oakland
South Oakland
Shadyside
Shadyside
Shadyside
Squirrel Hill
Squirrel Hill

Rowhouse areas (limit of one per neighborhood, because there are so many):

Allegheny West
Manchester
Central North Side
Deutschtown
Spring Garden
Troy Hill
Polish Hill
Lower Lawrenceville
Central Lawrenceville
Upper Lawrenceville
Bloomfield
Garfield*
East Liberty*
Shadyside*
South Oakland
Uptown
South Side
Hazelwood*
Homewood*

* Not indicative of majority of housing stock in neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City