Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is nicer, Tampa or Houston?
Houston 53 37.32%
Tampa 89 62.68%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:46 PM

108 posts, read 98,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Solid answer. I can tell you did a lot of research. I'm not sure Houston is what I would call a vacation destination. The Galleria is a nice mall, but not sure it's any different than upscale malls in other cities. Nobody is going to fly there to see Rice, or the forest? Restaurant scene? From where you live, New York is closer and better.

Other than COL, there is nothing super remarkable about Houston. Not meant to burst your bubble as I know a lot of people have idealized thoughts of a particular city, whether they're familiar with it or not.

I don't know, I've heard Cleveland is an underrated town.
The problem with this angle of argument is that it can be applied (to varying extents) to pretty much any city in this country apart from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 05:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
Houston is in Texas. That right there eliminates it. If you could somehow take it out of that state you'd have a much better comparison. Houston has a lot going for it, but it's geographic location within one of the most unpleasant states I have ever lived in, as well as it's crazy traffic and necessity to go to Galveston or Corpus to see a beach (both dumps in my opinion, and I lived in Galveston) are the deal killers. The San Padre islands are gorgeous, but there isn't much to them in terms of size, and they're not in Houston anyway.

People were forever telling me that they "had done their time in Texas" before I moved to first San Antonio and then Galveston, like it was a prison sentence. I'm sure you've heard the expression too. I just assumed they didn't like Southerners. As someone from Mississippi, I run into this sentiment often. But no, they really, really meant that they didn't like TEXAS! It can be a terribly annoying state to live in because you never for a second get a chance to forget that you're there, while in the Tampa Bay area, and I am going to include vibrant St Pete in w/ that designation because we are right here in the mix, you always get the feeling that there is Florida and then there is us. I like that. Neither are my favorite states, but we have carved out our own niche, while Houston hasn't. It's Texas w/ a capital T no matter what you do.

If you didn't include St Pete in the Tampa designation it's a lot closer comparison, but you have to because of where we are. The food is better in Houston though, as well as the sense of place. It's awfully transient out here.

Last edited by smarino; 11-08-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Houston is in Texas. That right there eliminates it.....
This makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:07 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
Then you have never lived in Texas I would guess. There is a sense of arrogance to a lot of Texans, they feel superior to Southerners, and there were way too many churchy, conservative, often racist people for me to ever like living in that state. I just got sick and tired of hearing about the glory days of the Texas Republic. That is long gone.

Also, try having someone come over to fix your electrical problem in your condo and having them tell you, right out of the blue, apropos of nothing, that the worst thing that ever happened in this country was giving the vote to women and minorities. I could not believe my ears. All I could think is that my wife, who was black and a woman, would sure love to hear this. True story. I have plenty more just like it!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Then you have never lived in Texas I would guess. There is a sense of arrogance to a lot of Texans, they feel superior to Southerners, and there were way too many churchy, conservative, often racist people for me to ever like living in that state. I just got sick and tired of hearing about the glory days of the Texas Republic. That is long gone.

Also, try having someone come over to fix your electrical problem in your condo and having them tell you, right out of the blue, apropos of nothing, that the worst thing that ever happened in this country was giving the vote to women and minorities. I could not believe my ears. All I could think is that my wife, who was black and a woman, would sure love to hear this. True story. I have plenty more just like it!
And, in turn, I know you've never been to Houston, or any of the other major Texas cities, based on the way you speak. Doesn't it sound odd to generalize an entire state, just for the actions of a one electrician?

Texas is one of the few Southern states that has a sizable Catholic percentage; this leads to a lower proportion of evangelicals (the types of Christians that are "in your face" about church):
http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.c...ligion-map.jpg

The "Texas Republic" talk, as well as state pride, comes as a shock because most states in this country (especially Florida), are very transient; the majority of people are transplants from elsewhere, to the point that a local, native culture never took time to develop. Texas is one of very few states that have such local culture; as a result, there is a "theme" associated with the state, more than you can say for the vast majority of states in this country.

Last edited by JMT; 11-09-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-08-2016, 09:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
The whole Texas state pride thing is mostly found in rural and non-transplant saturated areas of Texas. You really don't get that vibe in the major cities. Houston doesn't seem to have much pride outside of C-D.

Last edited by JMT; 11-09-2016 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-09-2016, 12:06 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Solid answer. I can tell you did a lot of research. I'm not sure Houston is what I would call a vacation destination. The Galleria is a nice mall, but not sure it's any different than upscale malls in other cities. Nobody is going to fly there to see Rice, or the forest? Restaurant scene? From where you live, New York is closer and better.

Other than COL, there is nothing super remarkable about Houston. Not meant to burst your bubble as I know a lot of people have idealized thoughts of a particular city, whether they're familiar with it or not.

I don't know, I've heard Cleveland is an underrated town.
Good point.

Personally, I don't think Houston is for me. But, I wanted to make the case and I think it does have a certain level of case (I suppose there always is another side)

I'm originally from Cleveland and like it, I live in Tampa now. And, I'd agree with you also that Houston certainly isn't a knockout vacation destination. Most of the things I described if not all, I would say are more amenities that a resident would find enjoyable.

As for the weather argument also, I don't say that as someone who personally enjoys that weather, but personally it seems like there's a lot of people who prefer that climate, a plurality in fact. Personally, I like a four season climate, but I was just trying to play devil's advocate. : )

Old 11-09-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Most of the things I described if not all, I would say are more amenities that a resident would find enjoyable.
Many world renowned attractions in cities start out as amenities designed for the residents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The whole Texas state pride thing is mostly found in rural and non-transplant saturated areas of Texas. You really don't get that vibe in the major cities. Houston doesn't seem to have much pride outside of C-D.
Houston does have Texas pride, just tailored to the city (causing it to manifest in a form that is not the expected).

Old 11-09-2016, 07:28 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
True, but do you see my point (and his?) I think I generally have taken a pretty balanced approach overall, but I would say that for a visitor, Tampa, or more broadly, Central Florida, offers a more unique experience to visitors than Southeast Texas/Houston. Visitor numbers generally reflect that, though of course that too is subjective. However, what I also said is that Houston makes an excellent case that it could offer a better, or at least equal package to visitors. It didn't become the 4th largest city/8th largest MSA in America by accident, of course. For a lover of the fine arts, I would have to imagine Houston wins and it's not exactly that close. Let's talk about urbanity. You showed pictures of several areas around DT Houston notable for their impressive historical architecture. But also mentioned that in Tampa, specific historic areas in Tampa Bay (DT St Pete, Ybor City) have created charming "historical villages" within the city. Now, I think Tampa and Houston, fair or not, are generally more known as "suburbs surrounding/commuting into and out of city". In what places in Houston, given the economic clout and significantly larger population, do you think that is evident in terms of the streetscape/urban feel/transit, where that is notably apparent that you are in a city that is on the threshold of being classified as an "Alpha"? Like, where is the big city difference most notable, if at all? I've heard mixed reviews on public transit in Houston so I'm not sure.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Key View Post
Houston does have Texas pride, just tailored to the city (causing it to manifest in a form that is not the expected).
Not as prideful as Austin though. That's Texas arrogance and pride tailored to that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City