Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
How would you rank these cities in the 1-1.5 million MSA population range in terms of things like culture, vibrancy, things to do, desirability, etc. Here is my ranking.

1. New Orleans
2. Raleigh, NC
3. Richmond
4. Louisville
5. Jacksonville
6. Birmingham
7. Memphis
8. Oklahoma City
New Orleans
Raleigh
Jacksonville
Louisville
Oklahoma City & Memphis
Richmond
Birmingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
New Orleans
Raleigh
Louisville
Jacksonville
BIrmingham
Richmond

Oklahoma City

Memphis

Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
1. New Orleans
2. Louisville
3. Birmingham
4. Richmond
5. Memphis
6. Raleigh
7. Jacksonville
8. Oklahoma City
Culture: New Orleans, Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, Memphis
Vibrancy: New Orleans
Things To Do: New Orleans, Birmingham, Louisville, Richmond
Desirability: Raleigh
Food: New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham, Louisville

Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
How would you rank these cities in the 1-1.5 million MSA population range in terms of things like culture, vibrancy, things to do, desirability, etc. Here is my ranking.

1. New Orleans
2. Raleigh, NC
3. Richmond
4. Louisville
5. Jacksonville
6. Birmingham
7. Memphis
8. Oklahoma City
Most definitely

1) New Orleans
2) Louisville
3) Richmond
4) Raleigh

Huge GAP

5) Memphis
6) Jacksonville
7) Birmingham
8) Oklahoma City

The top three have by far the best arts, culture, tourism, food, drink, nightlife, etc. Raleigh makes it into that bunch due to safety, growth, education, and general economic climate. Anyone who has spent alot of time in New Orleans and Louisville, especially for their many festivals, CANNOT tell me the other cities are nearly as vibrant. NONE of these other cities have ANYTHING remotely close to Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest, or KY Derby, Thunder or Forecastle. New Orleans and Louisville both have top 5 art shows. Louisville has some of the biggest festivals in the USA, including the largest Zombie walk of all things.

The bottom 3 on this list really have much work to do in terms of vibrancy and culture, although Birmingham is making a jump.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
NONE of these other cities have ANYTHING remotely close to Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest, or KY Derby, Thunder or Forecastle.
I'd have to disagree, at least as far as Memphis goes: Memphis In May International Festival 2017: Salutes Colombia

As a matter of fact, in terms of food, (local) culture, nightlife, and tourism, Memphis is best grouped with Richmond and Louisville. New Orleans is really in a class by itself when it comes to those things.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
The bottom 3 on this list really have much work to do in terms of vibrancy and culture, although Birmingham is making a jump.
I think Jacksonville is underrated. It suffers from being fourth wheel in its state as well as closer ties with Georgia and the South than the rest of Florida. It can't compare to Miami or Orlando, but if you compare it with other Southern cities around its size like Birmingham, Memphis, and OKC it looks much better. I like Jacksonville personally and could live there. To me, what it lacks in vibrancy compared to major cities it makes up with its location, beaches, and natural beauty.

I haven't been to Birmingham recent years so I can't comment on the improvement happening there. Oklahoma City is dead last and you really have to get down to metros around 500,000 MSA before it starts comparing favorably.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:32 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
Quote:
Most definitely

1) New Orleans
2) Louisville
3) Richmond
4) Raleigh

Huge GAP

5) Memphis
6) Jacksonville
7) Birmingham
8) Oklahoma City

The top three have by far the best arts, culture, tourism, food, drink, nightlife, etc. Raleigh makes it into that bunch due to safety, growth, education, and general economic climate. Anyone who has spent alot of time in New Orleans and Louisville, especially for their many festivals, CANNOT tell me the other cities are nearly as vibrant. NONE of these other cities have ANYTHING remotely close to Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest, or KY Derby, Thunder or Forecastle. New Orleans and Louisville both have top 5 art shows. Louisville has some of the biggest festivals in the USA, including the largest Zombie walk of all things.

The other seven cities don't have anything like Oklahoma City's Red Earth Festival, one of the country's top and biggest Native American festivals.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:52 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times
1. New Orleans
2. Memphis
3. Louisville
4. Richmond
5. Birmingham
6. Jacksonville
7. Raleigh
8. Oklahoma City.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd have to disagree, at least as far as Memphis goes: Memphis In May International Festival 2017: Salutes Colombia

As a matter of fact, in terms of food, (local) culture, nightlife, and tourism, Memphis is best grouped with Richmond and Louisville. New Orleans is really in a class by itself when it comes to those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
The other seven cities don't have anything like Oklahoma City's Red Earth Festival, one of the country's top and biggest Native American festivals.
To add to this, Birmingham has the Magic City Classic, Sloss Fest, and the Sidewalk Film Festival.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:32 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I can't disagree except Memphis just doesn't seem vibrant outside beale street, and even that was pretty ghetto on a recent visit. Everyone in Memphis is still focused on exurbs like Germantown.

I dont disagree Memphis is best grouped with Richmond and Louisville, but I think the other two have made more advances with millennial and urban growth despite Memphis being a "pro town"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City