Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times

Advertisements

Cost of living is cheaper in greenville and it has a park downtown thats nice but other than that charlotte wins hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 10:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte also has Carowinds, Discovery Place, the African American Cultural Center, and Great Wolf Lodge--things for which there is no equivalent in Greenville. Charlotte also hosts a wider array of annual/special events.

But Greenville is large enough to the point where things are always going on, and Charlotte and Atlanta are close enough to take advantage of big city events/amenities.
Charlotte also has a great, large airport that offers many more destinations than it should for Charlotte's size, and it is cheaper than GSP.

There's also no equivalent of the Epicentre in Greenville either.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
i think most people who like the outdoors would prefer Greenville, unless being closer to a lake is their biggest priortity. those are great lakes. i prefer Jocasse and Keowee and Seneca River though because they are base of Blue Ridge.

if you are shopper and don't care about outdoors, perhaps Charlotte is better. i wouldn't know because i don't care about shopping. i can get everyything i need at a department store at Haywood mall. one time I looked at store directory at Southpark mall in Charlotte, the most hyped up mall there, and it looked like the same stuff as Haywood Mall and the other stuff on Woodruff or downtown Gville. most of the people on here who say Charlotte is better don't seem to be big into outdoor stuff.

traffic in Charlotte on the interstate is terrible, Greenville is no big deal in comparison.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-18-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 02:12 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
ok, i don't agree Charlotte has a wider array of annual special event but if it does, it is niche stuff that doesn't attract that many people.
Of course Charlotte hosts a wider array of special events; that is a fact. Some of them are smaller niche events, but many are not and attract very large crowds, such as the DNC, CIAA, NBA All-Star weekend (it lost next year's event but has hosted before), professional/civic organization gatherings, etc.

Quote:
think Fall for Greenville and Artisphere are at least as good as any Charlotte festival.
I actually agree with this.

Quote:
i don't think the average person is going to those places you mentioned above a whole lot if ever. proximity to mountains more than offsets that stuff in my view.
You'd be wrong. Carowinds is a regional attraction and draws folks from across the Carolinas; when I lived in Charlotte, I was a season ticket holder. The other things I mentioned aren't huge draws in the same vein as Carowinds, but they still provide more options for residents and visitors alike.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:28 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
Less is more

Old 12-18-2016, 06:41 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Charlotte also has a great, large airport that offers many more destinations than it should for Charlotte's size, and it is cheaper than GSP.

There's also no equivalent of the Epicentre in Greenville either.
Ooh, I'd like to see an Epicentre in Greenville

Old 06-15-2020, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 83,789 times
Any recent insight on these two cities? It’s been four years.. anyone choose one over the other between these two? I’d love to learn more!

Old 06-15-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenLenLen View Post
Any recent insight on these two cities? It’s been four years.. anyone choose one over the other between these two? I’d love to learn more!
I think the biggest difference over the past four years is that while Charlotte has long been a magnet for smaller cities in the Carolinas, Greenville has increasingly become a weekend destination of sorts, or at least a place of interest, for people from Charlotte. Otherwise, excepting current circumstances due to the pandemic, both are on upward trajectories in several ways.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:17 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,045 times
I think they repainted the Big Peach in Gaffney, so that’s something that’s changed between the two...

Old 06-15-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I think they repainted the Big Peach in Gaffney, so that’s something that’s changed between the two...
Oh if we're going that route, how about downtown Spartanburg these days??? Good things are happening there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City