Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the most important city in terms of hard economic/engineering power?
Houston, TX 14 25.45%
New York, NY 24 43.64%
Los Angeles, CA 12 21.82%
Chicago, IL 14 25.45%
San Jose/San Francisco, CA 20 36.36%
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX 3 5.45%
Atlanta, GA 3 5.45%
Miami, FL 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
Try operating your computers on unreliable wind and solar power, not on the reliable energy sources of: Coal, Oil, Gas & Nuclear.

These two industries (Computers and the Petrochemical) are the backbone of the modern world.
Wind power already reliably supplies 5% of US energy needs, and growing rapidly. In other countries, that percentage is higher. There is nothing unreliable about these technologies, they are just not as cost effective as fossil fuels. Yet. But that's to be expected when you consider that the fossil fuel industry is a mature industry with over a century of experience and an immeasurable amount of government subsidies.

What I will concede though, is that battery technology limits the over night effectiveness of solar energy. But this problem should be solved in the next coming decade. At the moment though, there is nothing unrealiable about solar if you use it in conjunction with other clean energies such as wind or hydroelectric.

That's not to say that the US can be converted to solar and wind over night, but to say they are unreliable is a farce.

PS, my computers operate on solar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Try doing either of those without food.

See where this logic goes?
Try growing food on a large enough scale to feed the worlds population without reliable forms of energy.

I'm sorry, but anyone can sow chaos in a modern first-world population by cutting off two things - the power supply and the water supply. Like it or not, Houston is the hub for the world's energy industry. I definitely agree that oil itself is declining in importance at a very slow rate, but natural gas is slowly increasing in importance at the same time.

Solar and wind will never be reasonable transportation fuels and electric vehicles have high life-cycle environmental costs (in some ways higher than internal combustion engines) when you take into account the energy required to harvest lithium and other rare earth metals for battery manufacture, as well as the pollution associated with ultimate battery disposal.

In other words, there is not currently a silver-bullet technology that will replace O&G on a wide scale - its diminished importance will be on the margins (i.e. in non-transportation based applications). Oil generation only accounts for 1% of all US power generation capacity anyway, natural gas is at 33% and rising.

I voted for Houston in this poll.

Last edited by Mr. Clutch; 12-25-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 07:29 AM

242 posts, read 239,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Try growing food on a large enough scale to feed the worlds population without reliable forms of energy.

I'm sorry, but anyone can sow chaos in a modern first-world population by cutting off two things - the power supply and the water supply. Like it or not, Houston is the hub for the world's energy industry. I definitely agree that oil itself is declining in importance at a very slow rate, but natural gas is slowly increasing in importance at the same time.

Solar and wind will never be reasonable transportation fuels and electric vehicles have high life-cycle environmental costs (in some ways higher than internal combustion engines) when you take into account the energy required to harvest lithium and other rare earth metals for battery manufacture, as well as the pollution associated with ultimate battery disposal.

In other words, there is not currently a silver-bullet technology that will replace O&G on a wide scale - its diminished importance will be on the margins (i.e. in non-transportation based applications).

Exactly.

Wind was the transportation fuel, but it got replaced by the internal combustion engine for good reason!

Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

In other words, there is not currently a silver-bullet technology that will replace O&G on a wide scale - its diminished importance will be on the margins (i.e. in non-transportation based applications). Oil generation only accounts for 1% of all US power generation capacity anyway, natural gas is at 33% and rising.

Houston is the hub for the US's energy industry--the energy industry is globally very diffuse.

Solar and wind aren't the fuel--they are sources from which you generate electricity. It's batteries or capacitors that are actually going to store electricity for transportation uses. Solar has reached grid parity in many reguons of the world and has ample room for improvement as it's currently nowhere near its theoretical limits.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Anyone who didn't vote LA is either extremely biased or just doesn't know anything about the city. Engineers and industrial base? It's one of the last remaining industrial cities, the Port of LA/LB is the largest in the world. Aerospace is still heavily prevalent throughout the entire region and is one of the reasons why LA even got so large. Oil rigs and refineries are spread throughout the region. To vote for NYC or Chicago over LA is actually laughable.

I voted Houston, LA, and SJ. Houston for oil obviously. LA for reasons above. And SJ because of tech; different type of engineering, but engineers nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City