Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 AM

5 posts, read 10,610 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a soon-to-be 30 year old new doctor who's about to move. I'm an Asian, single, straight woman. Besides all the job and living factors, I'd like to move to a city with a good dating scene for women in their 30s. I'm not really into the bar scene--prefer hanging out with friends, outdoorsy activities, cultural things (museums, wine, etc.), nerdy activities, etc. I don't mind online dating and techies, except that I do want to settle down and eventually have children. My work will keep me very busy, so I'm looking for quality dates. My idea of 'quality' is someone with a professional job, a 'nice guy' who is easy to talk to, someone who wants to settle down, etc. And preferably Chinese-American or white.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by bmore1131; 01-10-2017 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Boston/Philadelphia

Old 01-10-2017, 07:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
I would actually look pretty hard at Houston. The people here are far more laid back than the other cities on the list. Houston is easily one of the most underrated cities in the US as far as culture is concerned.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM

242 posts, read 239,874 times
Ditto on Houston, very laid back city.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks. I'm specifically looking into comments about the dating scene, especially between Boston and Palo Alto.. I've heard Philly is awful for single 30s women. As a city, Houston is less attractive for me because of the weather...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
palo alto seems weird. op are you from palo alto; if so do you like it; if so then i think that would be your answer.

the other 3 are among the top ten metropolises in the country (probably top 25 in the world) so they probably have a lot more choices and options to meet singles in your demographic (or different demographic if you want to experiment).

Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore1131 View Post
Thanks. I'm specifically looking into comments about the dating scene, especially between Boston and Palo Alto.. I've heard Philly is awful for single 30s women. As a city, Houston is less attractive for me because of the weather...

I can't speak on the dating scene too much, but I can't imagine Philadelphia's would be any better or worse than Houston or Boston. Philadelphia and Boston also have some of the highest and fastest growing Millennial populations in the nation. I am not sure about Houston.

And honestly your deciding factor should not be which city has the best dating scene, you can meet wonderful people in any city you move to.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:18 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Boston is decent for dating, I guess, in that there are those types of activities around. The "settling down" part is the problem. Boston can be pretty transient (though I think less so for those in early 30s). Also, almost everyone in Boston does online dating. Just tons of people. That doesn't have to be an issue per se, but at the same time, it's hard to form a relationship with someone when stuff like Tinder is so widely used. People have it in their heads that they are just one swipe away from perfection (not true, but it's easy to see how people mistakenly think that could be possible). I don't know if it's like that everywhere, but certainly in Boston.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM

No, I'm not from Palo Alto--I've lived in the east coast. But I've always wanted to live in the bay area for its scenery, outdoors activities, ethnic food with a large Chinese population, wine, etc.

The list of cities is simply from my job perspective. In terms of the job, each place offers both pluses and minuses so it's hard to pick where to go based on that alone. But, I think that I'm starting to "be a woman of a certain age" where I also need to focus on settling down-- so that makes it much more difficult

Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
I'm probably going to get smacked for having preconceived notions here, but as compared to the other options, isn't Houston the kind of place where people are more likely to be married in their 30s? I know, I know, it's a big cosmopolitan city, but it's still Texas and I have a feeling like you'd have a wider selection in the other three cities. And of those three, I feel like young people tend to be somewhat more career focused in Boston and Palo Alto, and thereby single into their 30s, than in Philly. I'm thinking mostly of the bigger tech scene in those two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City