Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Richmond 93 54.39%
Indianapolis 67 39.18%
None 11 6.43%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:59 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Louisville and Chicago make for poor comparison. First, Louisville is a logistics center for UPS (WorldPort), as most everyone is aware and has the added infrastructure. It's the same reason Memphis (FedEx) has unusually high air traffic and underutilized terminal. As for Chicago, it's 3+ hours away from Indy so as to be irrelevant and would be like figuring Philadelphia and Baltimore into the equation for Richmond. Not realistic.

I don't think air traffic is all that important to the nature of living in the city, but Indy's airport does serve a greater geographic area by default. On the other hand, VA has a cluster of major airports all within a very close-in radius serving a greater population. Richmond does pretty well considering it competes with all these. Admittedly, I fly out of Dulles and DCA almost or more than flying out of Richmond. I have also flown out of Williamsburg-Newport News on occasion, under an hour SW of Richmond. There are just so many airports in the crescent from HR to RVA to DC that it's almost moot, but there are some great deals to be had.

Richmond is not average. It's culture is a unique hodgepodge of southern meets Mid-Atlantic. For a city/metro its size, it performs well enough to compete with much larger areas, winning out for corporate expansions and hq's. Moreover, it has the history, natural beauty, and cultural amenities to boot, including one of the largest art museums on the East Coast. Ironically, I just met a guy from Indy last week who recently moved to Richmond and he shocked me by saying something to the effect of although Richmond and Indianapolis "are about the same size.." [we know they totally aren't - though it might feel that way at times, as noted above, Indy is quite a bit more populous overall]...Richmond's restaurant scene, arts scene and everything there is to do "is so much better." Those were his words. I think perhaps he was talking mostly about Richmond's core.

Now, I've been around Indy myself and I honestly think it's a great city offering a lot, and a nice, pretty clean downtown experience. The downtown retail a la Circle Center is definitely more developed than Richmond's current city center offerings, though it's very national chain heavy; Richmond focusing on independent, local brands and retail. Indy also offers the sports franchises Richmond doesn't have, Richmond essentially a secondary media market for DC teams. But at the same time, I can see how a place like Indianapolis might legitimately feel less interesting from an activities/weather/topographical/diversity perspective. For the Midwest, Indy comes off particularly sterile. (Compared to Cincy, Cleveland, St. Louis, even Columbus, Louisville, etc. all of which I ultimately prefer to Indy). It feels quite spread out as well. I just wasn't particularly impressed, though I like a lot of what I saw around IUPUI. Was not really that hot on Broad Ripple. It felt much too much like a watered down version of Carytown (Richmond) without the charm. To me, bigger is not always better. I would probably vote for Charleston or Providence, RI over Indianapolis as well, for example.
Fwiw, Memphis is the 2nd busiest airport in the world for air cargo. Louisville is #7. Chicago is #16. Indianapolis is #25. I think t competes well with all things considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
So, @dyadic @lordwillin:

Have either of you actually been to Indianapolis? I'm interested to hear what, in your opinion, makes Indianapolis so great. Moreover (and this is particularly for lord willin), what is it about Richmond that pales in comparison to Indianapolis?

I'm asking for something tangible. Things like Indianapolis' large GDP is not something that can be seen or done--and again, besides the point, that is a rather moot TOD given that Indianapolis has so many more people...

I've been to Indianapolis, only once, flown through the airport and had a layover on another occasion, so I don't profess to be an expert on the city. However, you guys have provided nothing tangible as to why Indianapolis is a "clearly" better city, and that narrative does not match that of people who have actually been to both. I have a good friend who I went to school with in the Tri-Cities, moved to Indy her junior year of high school, just came back last year as a teacher in Richmond City Schools. She's around 27, so she spent the better part of a decade in Indy, and it doesn't match her descriptive. I've been to Indianapolis myself, and as mentioned in my initial post, think there is certainly some advantages it has over Richmond---but it is not a city that sweeps the floor with Richmond. The two are very comparable, and if you eliminate the existence of sports (obviously advantage Indy), the pendulum weighs more heavily in Richmond's favor. That's not necessarily an opinion, that's a topic-by-topic breakdown of the cities side by side. Where is this massive Indianapolis sweep coming from?

They are more or less even. Indy is larger but Richmond competes well with other cities in that weight class as well...

Lordwillin, where do you live, and how long have you been here? I know you said you're originally from Raleigh. I'd like to know what has formed your opinion of Richmond. I grew up around here (NoVa originally, then to the Tri-Cities), moved away for some years, and came back last January, to Richmond City. I'm under no delusions that Richmond is a perfect city. But I can also see the transformation from the Richmond of my youth, and I've traveled and been to enough cities to know the grass is always greener. Your constant need to remind everyone on every thread about how horrible you believe Richmond is, is droning and I think I speak for more than one person when I say, I hope you find what you are looking for so you can get where you want to be...

Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 AM

626 posts, read 380,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So, @dyadic @lordwillin:

Have either of you actually been to Indianapolis? I'm interested to hear what, in your opinion, makes Indianapolis so great. Moreover (and this is particularly for lord willin), what is it about Richmond that pales in comparison to Indianapolis?

I'm asking for something tangible. Things like Indianapolis' large GDP is not something that can be seen or done--and again, besides the point, that is a rather moot TOD given that Indianapolis has so many more people...

I've been to Indianapolis, only once, flown through the airport and had a layover on another occasion, so I don't profess to be an expert on the city. However, you guys have provided nothing tangible as to why Indianapolis is a "clearly" better city, and that narrative does not match that of people who have actually been to both. I have a good friend who I went to school with in the Tri-Cities, moved to Indy her junior year of high school, just came back last year as a teacher in Richmond City Schools. She's around 27, so she spent the better part of a decade in Indy, and it doesn't match her descriptive. I've been to Indianapolis myself, and as mentioned in my initial post, think there is certainly some advantages it has over Richmond---but it is not a city that sweeps the floor with Richmond. The two are very comparable, and if you eliminate the existence of sports (obviously advantage Indy), the pendulum weighs more heavily in Richmond's favor. That's not necessarily an opinion, that's a topic-by-topic breakdown of the cities side by side. Where is this massive Indianapolis sweep coming from?

They are more or less even. Indy is larger but Richmond competes well with other cities in that weight class as well...

Lordwillin, where do you live, and how long have you been here? I know you said you're originally from Raleigh. I'd like to know what has formed your opinion of Richmond. I grew up around here (NoVa originally, then to the Tri-Cities), moved away for some years, and came back last January, to Richmond City. I'm under no delusions that Richmond is a perfect city. But I can also see the transformation from the Richmond of my youth, and I've traveled and been to enough cities to know the grass is always greener. Your constant need to remind everyone on every thread about how horrible you believe Richmond is, is droning and I think I speak for more than one person when I say, I hope you find what you are looking for so you can get where you want to be...
I said earlier that I know hardly anything about Indianapolis and have never been, guess you missed that. All that I've seen is objective stats that also prove how Indianapolis has got like 4x the stuff Richmond has.

I've been in Richmond for 18+ years and while I don't want to tell you exactly where I live, I will tell you I'm in a nice part of town (West End.)

I don't hate Richmond, but I don't agree with your sweeping assertion Richmond is some great city. Comparing to a city 4x its size and claiming Richmond has a better economy is ridiculous. Richmond is average. I may or may not move down the road, it's a decent city.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I said earlier that I know hardly anything about Indianapolis and have never been, guess you missed that. All that I've seen is objective stats that also prove how Indianapolis has got like 4x the stuff Richmond has.

I've been in Richmond for 18+ years and while I don't want to tell you exactly where I live, I will tell you I'm in a nice part of town (West End.)

I don't hate Richmond, but I don't agree with your sweeping assertion Richmond is some great city. Comparing to a city 4x its size and claiming Richmond has a better economy is ridiculous. Richmond is average. I may or may not move down the road, it's a decent city.
Goochland!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
location location location

Plus Richmond is a much more vibrant, urban and interesting city than I think most people realize. Even though it's smaller, It feels at least the same size as Indy if not bigger.

I don't think Richmond winning this poll is a slam on Indy. If you have been to both cities, it just shows that Richmond and the region around Richmond (DC-Virginia Beach) has a lot more to offer than people think.

Richmond is not perfect, but I think it beats Indianapolis. They only real negative for Richmond compared to Indy is Richmond lacks pro sports.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
location location location

Plus Richmond is a much more vibrant, urban and interesting city than I think most people realize. Even though it's smaller, It feels at least the same size as Indy if not bigger.

I don't think Richmond winning this poll is a slam on Indy. If you have been to both cities, it just shows that Richmond and the region around Richmond (DC-Virginia Beach) has a lot more to offer than people think.

Richmond is not perfect, but I think it beats Indianapolis. They only real negative for Richmond compared to Indy is Richmond lacks pro sports.
So now Richmond is a part the Virginia Beach/Washington D.C. region. Now you are comparing Indy to the state.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
So now Richmond is a part the Virginia Beach/Washington D.C. region. Now you are comparing Indy to the state.
You are overstating. No one intimated that it's one huge metro area, but that you've got access to nearby amenities. However, the area from Virginia Beach to Richmond to NOVA/DC is known as Virginia's Urban Crescent. You know full well that this is where most of the Commonwealth's productivity originates; it has a large commuter shed; greatest population growth; and there has been a concentrated effort to coordinate policy between the localities within the region at the state level.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I'm comparing the quality of life of one area vs another. The DC to Virginia Beach corridor is much better than what's around Indy. Sure you have Chicago and Cincy, but I would choose Richmond over Indy due to the east coast location. Beaches, two major theme parks nearby, mountain areas etc and as I said before, the actual city of Richmond compares well to the city of Indy. Downtown Richmond actually feels larger and more dense than downtown Indy to me.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Indianapolis, and Indiana for that matter, has always been a place that thrives on mediocrity. Everything is about average. If you look at city and state rankings in different categories, Indianapolis, and Indiana, usually comes in about middle of the pack. Usually falling somewhere between 26th and 31st place. If Indiana was a high school student, it would have about a C+ average. It's a place that goes with the flow. They don't wanna rock the boat too much or make any waves. Never a trend setter but always a trend follower. Its a nice place to live if you want to live a simple quiet life without high expectations. The most unique thing about Indiana is just how average the place is. It really is Middle America.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You are overstating. No one intimated that it's one huge metro area, but that you've got access to nearby amenities. However, the area from Virginia Beach to Richmond to NOVA/DC is known as Virginia's Urban Crescent. You know full well that this is where most of the Commonwealth's productivity originates; it has a large commuter shed; greatest population growth; and there has been a concentrated effort to coordinate policy between the localities within the region at the state level.
Dude you really ought to sit this one out. Remember the following:

Quote:
Louisville and Chicago make for poor comparison. First, Louisville is a logistics center for UPS (WorldPort), as most everyone is aware and has the added infrastructure. It's the same reason Memphis (FedEx) has unusually high air traffic and underutilized terminal. As for Chicago, it's 3+ hours away from Indy so as to be irrelevant and would be like figuring Philadelphia and Baltimore into the equation for Richmond. Not realistic..
Indianapolis is closer to both Chicago and Louisville than DC is to Virginia Beach. Besides there is a Chicago/Indianapolis corridor:

Chicago-Indianapolis Corridor | Midwest High Speed Rail Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City