Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is car free life possible within these cities? Explain why
Cleveland 29 30.53%
Columbus 2 2.11%
Cincinnati 6 6.32%
Indianapolis 6 6.32%
Detroit 7 7.37%
Milwaukee 14 14.74%
St. Louis 17 17.89%
Kansas City 3 3.16%
Minneapolis 52 54.74%
Omaha 1 1.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

It seems the answer would be none but I am interested to hear your reasoning. I feel like cities like Indianapolis and Cincinnati would be highly inconvenient for transit users. I also feel that given the huge lack of rail systems throughout the Midwest makes car free living an impossibility.

That being said, do you think it is possible? Explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 01:48 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I think the answer is none, but Milwaukee probably comes closest.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I think the answer is none, but Milwaukee probably comes closest.
How so?

Old 02-04-2017, 02:15 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Comfortably? No. Do many people have to anyway out of necessity? Yes.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I'll go in groups:

Yes (or at least, quite possibly):
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Milwaukee
Saint Louis
I don't have time to do a detailed comparison, but I would curious on which of the four of these has the best in regards to entertainment without leaving the city, park access, and rail/bus transit. From what I've seen, I could live in these four and be okay. Literally the only thing I couldn't get to in Cleveland without a car would be a heavy retail presence, however, so much of that is done online these days anyways. Minneapolis and it's bike infrastructure I think help it's cause here significantly, while Milwaukee's and Cleveland's

No (or at least, probably not IMO):
Detroit
Cincinnati (though it does now have a streetcar system and some tight neighborhoods
Columbus
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Any Other City You're Thinking of, Really

Some smaller cities that could potentially be exceptions to this rule include Duluth, MN (though it'd be nice still), Madison, WI and other college towns where one can reasonably bike or walk to work/class all the time.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 PM

605 posts, read 669,143 times
Minneapolis is the only city that I know of in the Midwest outside of Chicago that operates a light rail line 24/7 and has a good/fairly comprehensive bus system (not to mention a large network of bike lanes/paths) so that city has my vote.

Cleveland is also doable without a car but only if you live/work in certain areas (ie Downtown, University Circle, maybe Lakewood) as it is well served by "The Rapid" light rail system and bus routes.

Other Midwestern cities offer pretty negligible public transit in my experience (ie Indianapolis, Detroit) so I can't really recommend any other cities if one want's to avoid getting/using a car.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I think the basic necessities for decent car-free living is to have at least one very walkable neighborhood where pretty much any day to day service or good is available without a car and that the person living in that neighborhood is employed somewhere that can be reached without a car with relative ease. In that case, there are a lot of Midwestern major cities with at least a few neighborhoods where this works for some jobs even if they don't have a great transit system.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM

146 posts, read 223,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
No (or at least, probably not IMO):
Cincinnati (though it does now have a streetcar system and some tight neighborhoods
Kansas City

Wow, no credibility at all with this one.
Kansas City has a FREE streetcar system with over a million riders their first 9 months of operation.
It's been in use longer than Cincinnati's!
The current system connects the River through downtown and ends at Crown Center/Union Station.
And KC's 2nd phase of the system is in the planning process.
It will more than double the route down Main Street through Midtown and Westport to the Plaza and UMKC.
When the 2nd tier is completed users will have free ridership to 95% of every museum, attraction and amenity in the urban core with the exception of the stadiums and airport.

Last edited by rumba77; 02-04-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
If you live and work in the an urban (mainly downtown) why could you not live in any of these major cities without a car. I'm sure lots of people do it in all the cities mentioned and I'm sure more people in Chicago have cars than you might think. I don't think you have to have a huge heavy rail system to enjoy a car free lifestyle. KC for example has everything you need in the core of the city and what you don't need is an easy bus/zip car/urber/lift/taxi ride away in the close in suburbs.

It's obvious that Chicago and MSP have the best transit though. I would actually prefer MSP light rail over the L and Metra and buses in Chicago. Easier city to live in and more user friendly transit IMO.

KC Streetcar:

Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
How so?
There are some walkable neighborhoods in the city proper and you seem to be able to get around via bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City