Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

Edit: I might as well say I'm leaning towards Portland off the bat. After reading my questions, please let me know the pros and cons of my inclination.

Basically I will be moving with limited funds to a cheap apartment or will be finding a roommate on Craigslist.
Which city will it be easiest to move to with roughly $1,500? I mean, as someone without a degree, is there a city which clearly has a better job market and is easier to find work? So I guess my question is, where would you guys go if you were struggling a little bit and had to make a move short notice?

I do not plan on owning a car and prefer to walk, bike, or take public trans. I hear all these cities are walkable so any input on that will be appreciated including how easy access is to public transit.

I'm a little sensitive to heat and intense sunshine. Is Denver not an ideal choice if this is the case? How intense is the sun in summertime?

Denver seems great, but I feel I may get tired of the city quickly since it's in the middle of nowhere essentially. I love exploring new areas outside, especially forests with waterfalls. Any thoughts on that? For those who have visited or lived in Denver, do you feel that leaving the cities inner limits leave you with little to do? I know the mountains are nearby of course.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by billspear; 03-03-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
I hate to be a buzzkill, but all three of those choices are prohibitively expensive for someone in your situation. I personally wouldn't move to any of them if you're struggling because you could find yourself on the streets in very short order.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:25 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Any opportunity to save more money beforehand? $1,500 will deplete immediately.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Any opportunity to save more money beforehand? $1,500 will deplete immediately.
I have a short while to save a bit more. Perhaps realistically $3,000 total before I absolutely have to make a move.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Seattle would be too expensive, but is otherwise the densest and most transit oriented.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
I would imagine Denver to be the cheapest overall if you pick the right areas. Seattle is the worst option if prices are a concern. Portland is closer to Seattle in that regard than to Denver.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:08 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspear View Post
I have a short while to save a bit more. Perhaps realistically $3,000 total before I absolutely have to make a move.
That's not even close to what you would need to move to Portland. It would be gone in a couple of months. No landlord would rent to you with no job and so little savings.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
With the money you have now, you could afford Cleveland, or Memphis, or Detroit. But definitely not Denver or Portland or Seattle ... these cities are geographically constrained, attractive to lots of people that make a lot more money, and are therefore a lot more expensive.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspear View Post
Edit: I might as well say I'm leaning towards Portland off the bat. After reading my questions, please let me know the pros and cons of my inclination.

Basically I will be moving with limited funds to a cheap apartment or will be finding a roommate on Craigslist.
Which city will it be easiest to move to with roughly $1,500? I mean, as someone without a degree, is there a city which clearly has a better job market and is easier to find work? So I guess my question is, where would you guys go if you were struggling a little bit and had to make a move short notice?

I do not plan on owning a car and prefer to walk, bike, or take public trans. I hear all these cities are walkable so any input on that will be appreciated including how easy access is to public transit.

I'm a little sensitive to heat and intense sunshine. Is Denver not an ideal choice if this is the case? How intense is the sun in summertime?

Denver seems great, but I feel I may get tired of the city quickly since it's in the middle of nowhere essentially. I love exploring new areas outside, especially forests with waterfalls. Any thoughts on that? For those who have visited or lived in Denver, do you feel that leaving the cities inner limits leave you with little to do? I know the mountains are nearby of course.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks.
Denver has intense sun (which I enjoy btw). Seattle is very expensive and houses and apartments are hard to get, don't come here unless you have a job secured or friends that will put you up. Portland is less expensive than Seattle and might be best of the 3 in your situation but again, I would recommend securing a job first.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
With the money you have now, you could afford Cleveland, or Memphis, or Detroit. But definitely not Denver or Portland or Seattle ... these cities are geographically constrained, attractive to lots of people that make a lot more money, and are therefore a lot more expensive.
Yes absolutely. I moved from Portland where things got so expensive I was constantly worrying how to make ends meet to Cleveland where I am living very comfortably on much less. My quality of life is so much better.

I have a problem with sun too. I can't tolerate it very well. Cleveland is overcast a lot of the time, not as much as Portland but I have read statically it comes close. Portland's summers the last couple of years have been hotter than Cleveland's. The job market in Portland is tough too.

If the OP does want to move to one of the more expensive areas on the West Coast or PNW he will need at least $20,000 in his pocket. Not only for his expenses but in Portland at least I know that landlords will check on your back account if you don't have a job and then ask for first and last month's rent plus a security deposit. $3000 doesn't cut it. And living in a walkable neighborhood as the OP wants, will be even more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City