Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Americans Prefer to live in Traditional Legacy Cities or New Rising Cities
Traditional Legacy (Expensive) City (New York, Chicago, Boston ) 97 58.43%
New Rising (Cheaper) City ( Houston Atlanta Miami) 69 41.57%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Most probably don't know this factoid because it's not true. Galveston wasn't even the largest city in TX in 1900, let alone the whole South.
Your mistaken on Texas..... Texas was nothing like todays population but......

Hurricanes: Science and Society: 1900- Galveston

1900- Galveston

At the end of the 19th century, Galveston, Texas was booming with a population of approximately 40,000 residents. It was the largest city in the state of Texas, and it had become a thriving commercial port. Since the city’s formal founding in 1839, Galveston had weathered numerous tropical storms, all of which the city survived. On September 8, 1900, however, the Great Galveston Hurricane roared ashore, devastating the island with 130-140mph winds and a storm surge in excess of 15ft. In its aftermath, approximately 8,000 people (20% of the island’s population) lost their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 07:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Your mistaken on Texas..... Texas was nothing like todays population but......

Hurricanes: Science and Society: 1900- Galveston

1900- Galveston

At the end of the 19th century, Galveston, Texas was booming with a population of approximately 40,000 residents. It was the largest city in the state of Texas, and it had become a thriving commercial port. Since the city’s formal founding in 1839, Galveston had weathered numerous tropical storms, all of which the city survived. On September 8, 1900, however, the Great Galveston Hurricane roared ashore, devastating the island with 130-140mph winds and a storm surge in excess of 15ft. In its aftermath, approximately 8,000 people (20% of the island’s population) lost their lives
It appears as though that source is mistaken. San Antonio was the largest city in TX in 1900.

https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab13.txt

Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It appears as though that source is mistaken. San Antonio was the largest city in TX in 1900.

https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab13.txt
Seems like some year after 1890 it lost the largest city title. Of course the 1900 census did not or could not use Galveston's census count after nearly 8000 perished that year.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-21-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I suspect that there is a latent demand for urbanity that isn't satisfied.

You could probably divide the population into multiple groups:

1. Those who prefer a rural lifestyle-farmers and ranchers, for example.

2. Those who prefer small towns.

3. Those who prefer a suburban lifestyle.

4. A niche group who would like to live near city amenities, but aren't interested in urbanity as such.

5. Urbanphiles.
I would imagine that a semi-urban place (a topic that was discussed in another thread) would be the likeliest preference for group number 4.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Seems like some year after 1890 it lost the largest city title. Of course the 1900 census did not or could not use Galveston's census count after nearly 8000 perished that year.
The 1900 Census was taken in June of that year and had the population of Galveston at 38K. That is the official number and the count was taken well before the hurricane hit. The city disputed that count and said the population was closer to 42K but San Antonio had a population of 53K anyway so in either case, Galveston was not the largest city in TX in 1900:
http://www.gthcenter.org/exhibits/st...s/stormfaq.htm (see #4)

But Galveston wasn't the largest city in TX in 1890 either; that honor belonged to Dallas. https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab12.txt

If there is some source that has Galveston as the largest city in the state sometime between 1890 and 1900, it's pretty hard to find.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-22-2017 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The 1900 Census was taken in June of that year and had the population of Galveston at 38K. That is the official number and the count was taken well before the hurricane hit. The city disputed that count and said the population was closer to 42K but San Antonio had a population of 53K anyway so in either case, Galveston was not the largest city in TX in 1900:
Frequently Asked Questions about the 1900 Galveston Storm (see #4)

But Galveston wasn't the largest city in TX in 1890 either; that honor belonged to Dallas. https://www.census.gov/population/ww...0027/tab12.txt

If there is some source that has Galveston as the largest city in the state sometime between 1890 and 1900, it's pretty hard to find.
My point had nothing to boast here for Galveston. Nothing really to do with the thread. I saw a post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
here's a factoid most don't know, around 1900, the largest city in the south was Galveston, Texas! However, the hurricane of 1903 killed 6,000 and the city never recovered its stature, with many survivors moving further inland to Houston, a huge change in the course of American history!
I remember how Houston was still a speck when Galveston was THEE Texas city. It suffered though a Yellow fever epidemic that killed 1800 many still persevered till a hurricane did it in in 1900 Never to be a top city in Texas again. Though most decades it grew till 2010 a drop of over 16%.

I rather point out how the Galveston's devastation---> pushed the growth in more moving inland. That gave a boost to Houston and then Oil sealed Houston's fate as the new city and much more then not. This new Houston inland city turned its back on the coast. But I find it all irreverent to anything but to point out why Houston grew more inland instead of Galveston outward to create a more coastal hugging city.

I think it would have been AWESOME if Galveston had growth from it outward onto the mainland to look like a Miami/Miami Beach today or even a Chicago in look with a mainland downtown hugging the shore. But the hurricane quenched that possibility.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:20 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
This is too broad - The category should be broken down by:

LEGACY / ESTABLISHED WORLD CITIES: NYC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Washington DC etc.

ESTABLISHED LARGE CITIES: Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Phoenix etc.

"UP AND COMING" TRENDY CITIES: Denver, Portland, Nashville, Austin, etc.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
My point had nothing to boast here for Galveston. Nothing really to do with the thread. I saw a post...

I remember how Houston was still a speck when Galveston was THEE Texas city. It suffered though a Yellow fever epidemic that killed 1800 many still persevered till a hurricane did it in in 1900 Never to be a top city in Texas again. Though most decades it grew till 2010 a drop of over 16%.

I rather point out how the Galveston's devastation---> pushed the growth in more moving inland. That gave a boost to Houston and then Oil sealed Houston's fate as the new city and much more then not. This new Houston inland city turned its back on the coast. But I find it all irreverent to anything but to point out why Houston grew more inland instead of Galveston outward to create a more coastal hugging city.

I think it would have been AWESOME if Galveston had growth from it outward onto the mainland to look like a Miami/Miami Beach today or even a Chicago in look with a mainland downtown hugging the shore. But the hurricane quenched that possibility.
My only point is that that source was wrong. Galveston was not the largest city in Texas in 1900 or 1890; simple as that.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
I don't know if it's me, but it seems like people are not actually understanding what a Legacy City is.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Again, the OP misused the term Legacy City. It's a rebranding/widening of the term Rust Belt to encompass all cities which boomed during the 19th/early 20th century but had a mid-20th century decline, and have yet to recover. The original study which came up with the term specifically EXCLUDED San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and Boston. So does the map here. A legacy city is not just an old city, it's a old city which has seen better days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City