Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 23,116 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this thread has been done before

I have the option of moving to these two cities because of relatives that live here. I have only been to Philadelphia and really liked what I saw. Seemed like I could get a decent apartment for a reasonable rate. Good cultural offerings, sports are a given, I loved how compact everything was.

On the other hand I have never been to ATL but I have heard great things about it as well, I would say that I am more conservative socially so I figure that ATL would be a better fit in that aspect, the it's warm weather is very attractive to me as well. But living in Cleveland currently I dont care either way about the weather.

I guess I have some main interests.

1. Music scene

2.Sports

3. COL

4.Transportation ( I know Philly has amazing transportation, but do MARTA and ATL public transportation systems have a good amount of access points around the metro) how do they compare?

5.Surrounding metro prices

6. Overall culture
For instance I hear people in Seattle are passive agressive and unfriendly, growing up in shorts stints between Ohio and the northeast I love the direct and bluntness that the Northeast is known for. I have no idea what the south is like. I've never been there!

7. Black Community
How do these two cities stack up with one another with regards to this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 12:31 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
For someone who's more an educated black professional, Atlanta offers far more socially in my opinion as the black community in Philadelphia tends far more "urban" and not terribly well-educated overall. Philly wins for public transit, though MARTA does a decent job in my opinion. Atlanta has risen to close the gap with other major sports markets with new sports facilities that rival the best, most notably the new Falcons stadium opening in the fall. Music scene is a similar draw unless specific to one genre or another. Atlanta handily wins in the COL category with much lower payroll taxes and significant differences in housing costs. Atlanta is a good bit friendlier and much less provincial than Philly where many have been born, go to school and settle within an hour or two and seem in many instances to already know everyone, where in Atlanta people seem more open to new people in their lives and you'll feel like you're not an outsider as much. In keeping with the provincial feel many in Philly tend to vacation over and over again at the Jersey Shore and show little desire to go anywhere else. It's a very different kind of city and mirrors what much of Pennsylvania, South Jersey and arguably what much of Ohio is like as well.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:18 PM

9 posts, read 23,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For someone who's more an educated black professional, Atlanta offers far more socially in my opinion as the black community in Philadelphia tends far more "urban" and not terribly well-educated overall. Philly wins for public transit, though MARTA does a decent job in my opinion. Atlanta has risen to close the gap with other major sports markets with new sports facilities that rival the best, most notably the new Falcons stadium opening in the fall. Music scene is a similar draw unless specific to one genre or another. Atlanta handily wins in the COL category with much lower payroll taxes and significant differences in housing costs. Atlanta is a good bit friendlier and much less provincial than Philly where many have been born, go to school and settle within an hour or two and seem in many instances to already know everyone, where in Atlanta people seem more open to new people in their lives and you'll feel like you're not an outsider as much. In keeping with the provincial feel many in Philly tend to vacation over and over again at the Jersey Shore and show little desire to go anywhere else. It's a very different kind of city and mirrors what much of Pennsylvania, South Jersey and arguably what much of Ohio is like as well.
Great Comment! Sounds like ATL is my cup of tea then. I guess my main concern was public transportation​ as I think alot of money can be saved here, nice to know that MARTA is a good alternative.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Philly definitely has the better sports. I think the music scene could go either way, but Philly has more of an established, local music scene. Philly wins in transportation; MARTA hits most of the major job centers in metro Atlanta though. Both are relatively low COL cities for their sizes. For overall culture, that will be subjective. Atlanta is Southern with tons of transplants from all over whereas Philly lacks that dynamic and has a much more pronounced local culture.

I think either could work for you but you should visit Atlanta to see if it's to your liking.

Last edited by JMT; 04-16-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 01:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
I'd say Atlanta across the board. Different types of people but since so many people from ATL aren't originally from there, it makes that transition easier. Public transportation would go to Philly, sports too for that matter. Music easily goes to Atlanta, and it's really not close. COL is much lower is Atlanta, as you'll get more for less than you would in Philly. Atlanta has a feel in that it seems like there is always something going on there, whereas Philly lacks that kind of vibe.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Music easily goes to Atlanta, and it's really not close.
I have to disagree with this one. Philly has more of a homegrown music scene and is overall a bit more of a musical city. Of course Atlanta has a substantial music legacy as well, but I think Philly edges it out here.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:15 PM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I have to disagree with this one. Philly has more of a homegrown music scene and is overall a bit more of a musical city. Of course Atlanta has a substantial music legacy as well, but I think Philly edges it out here.
I disagree. While Philly does have a scene it's much more one-dimensional and largely "urban" whereas Atlanta has that as well plus a much more developed alt-rock scene, more mainstream R&B and of course country-western along with rockabilly and folk. One just doesn't see the diversity or depth of what Atlanta offers in Philly's music scene in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I disagree. While Philly does have a scene it's much more one-dimensional and largely "urban" whereas Atlanta has that as well plus a much more developed alt-rock scene, more mainstream R&B and of course country-western along with rockabilly and folk. One just doesn't see the diversity or depth of what Atlanta offers in Philly's music scene in my opinion.
I've lived in both metros and have to disagree here. Both cities have largely urban music scenes and I'd imagine this has great appeal to the OP as a Black male. But I think you're seriously shortchanging Philly here, as if it only has a great urban music scene:

16 Reasons Philadelphia Is the Best Music City in the Country - Philadelphia Magazine
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ntry-right-now
Philly's got a better music scene than N.Y. and here's why | NJ.com

I don't necessarily agree with the titles of these articles but I'm posting them to show that you're not giving Philly its just due.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I am, by no means, trying to short change Philly's legacy as a music city. Philly is one of the all-time greats when it comes to music. I was referring to the current state of music, which I think, Philly can't touch Atlanta. To break it down further, I'm speaking from a Hip-hop and R&B standpoint. The only cities that are keeping up in with ATL in Hip-hop and R&B is Chicago, LA.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I am, by no means, trying to short change Philly's legacy as a music city. Philly is one of the all-time greats when it comes to music. I was referring to the current state of music, which I think, Philly can't touch Atlanta. To break it down further, I'm speaking from a Hip-hop and R&B standpoint. The only cities that are keeping up in with ATL in Hip-hop and R&B is Chicago, LA.
Well that's mostly from an industry perspective if we're being real about it. I prefer Atlanta overall but in terms of a more grassroots, homegrown, organic music scene, Philly bests Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City