Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is would be better?
Norfolk, Virginia 24 57.14%
Wilmington, North Carolina 13 30.95%
Other (Please recommend in comments) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 06:26 AM

61 posts, read 104,492 times

Advertisements

Young couple (upper 20's) looking to relocate from the DC area to a more affordable small/mid-sized coastal city. We like historic buildings and houses, and gritty up-and-coming areas with walkability. Ideally we'd like to be a decent bike ride from the beaches. Possibly childen coming within the next 5 years, but would prefer to still live within the core of the city.

Given that criteria, would you recommend Norfolk or Wilmington as a more livable city? Or neither? (Please recommend) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan13 View Post
Young couple (upper 20's) looking to relocate from the DC area to a more affordable small/mid-sized coastal city. We like historic buildings and houses, and gritty up-and-coming areas with walkability. Ideally we'd like to be a decent bike ride from the beaches. Possibly childen coming within the next 5 years, but would prefer to still live within the core of the city.

Given that criteria, would you recommend Norfolk or Wilmington as a more livable city? Or neither? (Please recommend) Thanks!
If I had to choose between Norfolk or Wilmington I would choose Norfolk. I'm a North Carolina native and lived in Norfolk for 4 years but just from an economic stand point I would choose Norfolk...more opportunity. However, given your criteria, I'm not really sure either place would be what you are looking for...aside from being coastal. Neither city is particularly walkable, Norfolk obviously winning in that aspect. Neither city is really a haven for Historic Architecture. Norfolk once had a pretty historic core but the city tore most of it down in urban renewal efforts. If you want to be a bike ride from the beach than you would want to look more into Virginia Beach than Norfolk, unless Ocean View is your thing. The economy in Norfolk really revolves around the military and the hospitals so I would do some research on job opportunities in your field before moving down there. My suggestions would be Virginia Beach for proximity to the beach and Richmond(about 45 min to Yorktown Beach) for job outlook, historic buildings/houses and walkability. Honestly, Richmond hits all of your requirements with the exception of beach access(The city does have great river access and class IV rapids through its downtown). If beach access if a deal breaker for you then my choice would be Virginia Beach>Norfolk>Wilmington. I'm just not huge on beach towns from a job stand point. Are you only interested in moving South? If so, how far south are you willing to relocate?

Last edited by mpier015; 05-02-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
If I had to choose between Norfolk or Wilmington I would choose Norfolk. I'm a North Carolina native and lived in Norfolk for 4 years but just from an economic stand point I would choose Norfolk...more opportunity. However, given your criteria, I'm not really sure either place would be what you are looking for...aside from being coastal. Neither city is particularly walkable, Norfolk obviously winning in that aspect. Neither city is really a haven for Historic Architecture. Norfolk once had a pretty historic core but the city tore most of it down in urban renewal efforts. If you want to be a bike ride from the beach than you would want to look more into Virginia Beach than Norfolk, unless Ocean View is your thing. The economy in Norfolk really revolves around the military and the hospitals so I would do some research on job opportunities in your field before moving down there. My suggestions would be Virginia Beach for proximity to the beach and Richmond(about 45 min to Yorktown Beach) for job outlook, historic buildings/houses and walkability. Honestly, Richmond hits all of your requirements with the exception of beach access(The city does have great river access and class IV rapids through its downtown). If beach access if a deal breaker for you then my choice would be Virginia Beach>Norfolk>Wilmington. I'm just not huge on beach towns from a job stand point. Are you only interested in moving South? If so, how far south are you willing to relocate?
I can't speak to Norfolk but I found Wilmington to be pretty walkable for a city its size, at least in the core and not the newer suburban growth. The core of Wilmington is really charming and beautiful.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Perhaps look at Savannah and its surroundings as well.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Norfolk is a good choice. It is family friendly and has an active downtown. I also like the scenery and historic cities a part of the metro area. Virginia Beach is a better beach area imo than Wilmington.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would vote neither also. Savannah fits the OP's criteria and despite the reputation of the town being completely developed/done there are emerging historic neighborhoods near city center that provide the lifestyle they're after. Check out the Victorian District which is still developing in areas, but has plenty within walking distance.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I have definitely thought about Richmond. I love the city and everything about it. Short trip to beaches, and an equally short trip to mountains. Certainly something to consider..

Old 05-03-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would vote neither also. Savannah fits the OP's criteria and despite the reputation of the town being completely developed/done there are emerging historic neighborhoods near city center that provide the lifestyle they're after. Check out the Victorian District which is still developing in areas, but has plenty within walking distance.
I've never been to Savannah (nor Charleston), but would certainly check them out. My main concern with those is that they might be too far south. And possibly even more touristy. But I won't know for sure until I visit!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:51 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan13 View Post

Neither, and I live in Norfolk. I'm not so sure that Norfolk is "up-and-coming". And Wilmington is just too small of a city in my opinion. It is not yet mid-sized. Maybe it will be in another twenty years. Sure Norfolk is gritty, but so are a lot of cities. I would say Wilmington, for the up-and-coming part, as it is a younger city. But is it gritty?

Coming from the Midwest, the gritty thing used to be important to me too. But then I visited New York and realized that simply was not as important to me as I thought it was. Grit is overrated. I need something in between both extremes.

If a place has the infrastructure, I say go for it. You can find broken windows anywhere. As long as the place is walkable, who cares how filthy it is. Plus your opinion will change once you have children.

As far as the water, that one is tough, because most places next to the water have either already developed into large cities, or they are a lot smaller than what you are looking for. The large cities are already too expensive and the small cities are more than affordable but they are too far from a real urban center to provide what you need. Savannah sounds like a really good choice, as it is one of the last coastal cities with some name recognition that is still small, but still moving. What about Charleston, SC?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
I would try charleston sc or savannah ga over the others because of the better job markets. Savannah is two hours south of charleston and a little smaller than charleston. If you want small then i say savannah. I wouldn't go anymore south than savannah. If you want bigger city than chose charleston. Population might say savannah is bigger but if you visit both you can tell them charleston amd surrounding areas are completely more populated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City