Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next urban, iconic, "big city"?
Los Angeles 53 21.99%
Seattle 63 26.14%
Denver 11 4.56%
Minneapolis 13 5.39%
Atlanta 33 13.69%
Miami 19 7.88%
Baltimore 5 2.07%
Pittsburgh 8 3.32%
St. Louis 3 1.24%
Other (please name) 33 13.69%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston will never be an an iconic urban city.
Houston is far more active and cosmopolitan than Pittsburgh. Houston is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I didn't BASH Dallas. My quick comparison was meant to convey that Dallas is conservative. It's Midwest in mindset. It's more similar to OKC than Houston. That's all.

Well, it IS the city that killed Kennedy. But that was a long time ago.
It sounds like you haven't been to Dallas since 1963. Dallas & Austin have a perfect 100 score from the Human Rights Campaign, with Houston trailing behind. Houston REJECTED HERO (protections for transgenders), while Dallas updated their anti-discrimination ordinance that same year. Over 60% of Dallas County voted for Hillary, with the city of Dallas voting a higher percentage. Nice try though! Nothing "Midwestern" about the city of Dallas.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It sounds like you haven't been to Dallas since 1963. Dallas & Austin have a perfect 100 score from the Human Rights Campaign, with Houston trailing behind. Houston REJECTED HERO (protections for transgenders), while Dallas updated their anti-discrimination ordinance that same year. Over 60% of Dallas County voted for Hillary, with the city of Dallas voting a higher percentage. Nice try though! Nothing "Midwestern" about the city of Dallas.
Wrong narrative.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Wrong narrative.
What do you mean?

Dallas amended anti-discrimination ordinance to include "gender identity."
Dallas amends anti-discrimination law to define gender identity - Story | KDFW

Houston rejected HERO
Houston voters reject HERO | abc13.com

Both occurred in 2015.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
Quote:
Politics is one bit of evidence of mindset. Good for Dallas. I was thinking in a broader context, though. The Houston-Dallas debate consumes Texans, and most Texans I know (from both cities) tend to agree that Dallas has a conservative bent, akin to that found in people throughout the midwest, best described, perhaps, as a "play-by-the-book" kinda thing, less freewheeling, less libertarian, more "wrapped tightly", less fun. I don't know that Dallas would ever elect a lesbian mayor for two terms, like Houston did. The HERO thing is sad, yes. But Dallas is insurance/white collar. Houston is energy/blue collar.

Yeah. I don't like Dallas.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
What do you mean?

Dallas amended anti-discrimination ordinance to include "gender identity."
Dallas amends anti-discrimination law to define gender identity - Story | KDFW

Houston rejected HERO
Houston voters reject HERO | abc13.com

Both occurred in 2015.
HERO was for equal rights for all the protected classes listed, not just a transgender protection ordinance, or a "bathroom law" (a moniker that contributed heavily to it's failure).

I bolded Dallas because the amendment (good for the city) turned out to be something that already was incorporated in HERO (rather than anything grounbreaking for Texas). And since Dallas had the ordinance since the early 2000s or so, the window of repeal was long closed, and the comparison, thus, isn't symmetric.

Quote:
Politics is one bit of evidence of mindset. Good for Dallas. I was thinking in a broader context, though. The Houston-Dallas debate consumes Texans, and most Texans I know (from both cities) tend to agree that Dallas has a conservative bent, akin to that found in people throughout the midwest, best described, perhaps, as a "play-by-the-book" kinda thing, less freewheeling, less libertarian, more "wrapped tightly", less fun. I don't know that Dallas would ever elect a lesbian mayor for two terms, like Houston did. The HERO thing is sad, yes. But Dallas is insurance/white collar. Houston is energy/blue collar.

So in light of HERO's failure, what reason do you have for Dallas being more conservative than Houston?

Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:

My 1963 comment still stands. You obviously haven't been to Dallas in decades. Dallas has a lesbian sheriff elected 4 times! It has the largest gay church in the world -- Cathedral of Hope. I haven't found much in Houston as outwardly gay as Dallas's Oak Lawn or as eclectic and edgy as Deep Ellum. Perhaps it's because Dallas clusters its neighborhoods much more cohesively than in Houston. And there are many posters that will vouch that Dallas is more of a party city than Houston, although Houston is a little more laid back. Just because Dallas may have more white collar positions, doesn't mean it's socially conservative or rigid. You better believe those types of jobs cause people to let loose on weekends. Visit any Uptown bar or club.

All of this is irrelevant to this topic. At the very least, Dallas is MORE walkable than Houston and is more likely to accomplish what the OP is looking for.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Uh ... you obviously don't know Houston very well.

The city of Houston itself (not talking about the SMSA here) will overtake Chicago as the third-largest city in the US within the next 20 years, if the current rates of growth remain the same. Houston is widely recognized as the most diverse city in the US; has the largest medical complex in the world; the busiest port in the US (in terms of foreign tonnage) and 13th largest in the world; two international airports; the Johnson space center; the largest petrochemical complex in the US; an entire museum district with 19 museums and galleries, several of them world-renowned; sports teams in all major sports, a symphony orchestra, and opera company; the most-happening food scene in the US (according to the NYTimes); and a lot of other superlatives. The cost of living is ridiculously low compared to other major urban areas. And the weather is great. Yes. Great (we get rain ... a lot of it ... but it comes down fast, and then it gets sunny. The secret here is we have lots of sun throughout the year, with wonderful warm springs and falls, and only one to two months of cool weather; all good, assuming you can tolerate the humidity of summer).

I will also say, after living here for almost 7 years now, that people GET ALONG in this city (in contrast to the last place I lived ... Baltimore). That is, we don't have the racial tensions that exist in places like Chicago and Baltimore. Our police departments are relatively sane, and one tends to feel safe when half the population is packing. The highways are awesome, and traffic moves (unlike a place like Seattle, where half the drivers are in Priuses [Prii ?] which crowd the left lane at 60 mph. There are jobs here, lots of them, even in the energy industry, even in this downturn, and if one can't get a job, you're either a felon or you don't want to work).

Seattle is bursting at the seams with no room to grow, hemmed in by water and lacking the ability to expand its highways, and is as pricey as San Francisco. Atlanta is a hot mess, with traffic so bad I wouldn't wish it on a republican (well, maybe). California is the sun version of Taxachusetts, where one will never be able to buy a house unless one wins the lottery. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati ? You're on drugs. Dallas is Oklahoma without the taxes but with the churches. The big, iconic-to-be, upcoming cities of the future are Houston and Phoenix. Those cities have room to grow, sun, jobs, affordability, and a forward-looking mindset.
Houston lacks the urban part of being and iconic, urban big city. And IMO it lacks the iconic part too. And the weather is far from great. It's like saying Minneapolis has great weather.

A transit cop beat a homeless man last year, a few years ago HPD officers beat another man up after a chase, that one was in national news, and HPD officer Abram Joseph was convicted of raping immigrant women. They are just like every other department.

Houston traffic moves? LOL As of midnight tonight, there is gridlock on 45N by UH.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston lacks the urban part of being and iconic, urban big city. And IMO it lacks the iconic part too. And the weather is far from great. It's like saying Minneapolis has great weather.

A transit cop beat a homeless man last year, a few years ago HPD officers beat another man up after a chase, that one was in national news, and HPD officer Abram Joseph was convicted of raping immigrant women. They are just like every other department.

Houston traffic moves? LOL As of midnight tonight, there is gridlock on 45N by UH.

Will you please define what you are thinking when you say "iconic", maybe the OP should as well.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
HERO was for equal rights for all the protected classes listed, not just a transgender protection ordinance, or a "bathroom law" (a moniker that contributed heavily to it's failure).

I bolded Dallas because the amendment (good for the city) turned out to be something that already was incorporated in HERO (rather than anything grounbreaking for Texas). And since Dallas had the ordinance since the early 2000s or so, the window of repeal was long closed, and the comparison, thus, isn't symmetric.

So in light of HERO's failure, what reason do you have for Dallas being more conservative than Houston?
I acknowledged your point about HERO, but still maintain that Dallas is more conservative. Maybe it's the churches. There was a thread about this a few years ago. Both cities have mega-churches. Dallas is more "mega-churched" than Houston, however.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...s-houston.html

It was an ambiguous debate, to say the least. One post there, #34, from a Dallas resident, summed it up rather nicely for me, though:

"Dallas is the megachurch capital of the United States. Dallas was ranked as the most Bible oriented city in Texas. People in Dallas tend to be very image-oriented and tend not to deviate much from the "norm" because it'll hurt their image. People in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc generally aren't like this, they give off a very laid back vibe (especially Austin and San Antonio), so it gives Dallas a serious sense of social rigidity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City