Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next urban, iconic, "big city"?
Los Angeles 53 21.99%
Seattle 63 26.14%
Denver 11 4.56%
Minneapolis 13 5.39%
Atlanta 33 13.69%
Miami 19 7.88%
Baltimore 5 2.07%
Pittsburgh 8 3.32%
St. Louis 3 1.24%
Other (please name) 33 13.69%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM

538 posts, read 659,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Uh ... you obviously don't know Houston very well.

The city of Houston itself (not talking about the SMSA here) will overtake Chicago as the third-largest city in the US within the next 20 years, if the current rates of growth remain the same. Houston is widely recognized as the most diverse city in the US; has the largest medical complex in the world; the busiest port in the US (in terms of foreign tonnage) and 13th largest in the world; two international airports; the Johnson space center; the largest petrochemical complex in the US; an entire museum district with 19 museums and galleries, several of them world-renowned; sports teams in all major sports, a symphony orchestra, and opera company; the most-happening food scene in the US (according to the NYTimes); and a lot of other superlatives. The cost of living is ridiculously low compared to other major urban areas. And the weather is great. Yes. Great (we get rain ... a lot of it ... but it comes down fast, and then it gets sunny. The secret here is we have lots of sun throughout the year, with wonderful warm springs and falls, and only one to two months of cool weather; all good, assuming you can tolerate the humidity of summer).

I will also say, after living here for almost 7 years now, that people GET ALONG in this city (in contrast to the last place I lived ... Baltimore). That is, we don't have the racial tensions that exist in places like Chicago and Baltimore. Our police departments are relatively sane, and one tends to feel safe when half the population is packing. The highways are awesome, and traffic moves (unlike a place like Seattle, where half the drivers are in Priuses (Prii ?) which crowd the left lane at 60 mph. There are jobs here, lots of them, even in the energy industry, even in this downturn, and if one can't get a job, you're either a felon or you don't want to work.

Seattle is bursting at the seams with no room to grow, hemmed in by water and lacking the ability to expand its highways, and is as pricey as San Francisco. Atlanta is a hot mess, with traffic so bad I wouldn't wish it on a republican (well, maybe). California is the sun version of Taxachusetts, where one will never be able to buy a house unless one wins the lottery. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati ? You're on drugs. Dallas is Oklahoma without the taxes but with the churches. The big, iconic-to-be, upcoming cities of the future are Houston and Phoenix. Those cities have room to grow, sun, jobs, affordability, and a forward-looking mindset.
Where is the NHL team in Houston? Although I agree with you. Houston is the city to watch as one to potentially reach the #2 spot in the next 30 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 08:48 PM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Where is the NHL team in Houston? Although I agree with you. Houston is the city to watch as one to potentially reach the #2 spot in the next 30 years or so.
Well, maybe I wasn't considering hockey as a major sport

I forgot to mention ... we do have "dense" urban areas, three of them (downtown, med center, the I-10 energy corridor centered at Memorial City). The downtown is attracting more and more residents, but people in Houston like a little bit of space, and they can get it, even in close-in neighborhoods, so no, we're not dense like NYC.

NYC, Boston, DC, etc ... old school. This is new school.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:51 PM

429 posts, read 479,876 times
Quote:

The city of Houston itself (not talking about the SMSA here) will overtake Chicago as the third-largest city in the US within the next 20 years, if the current rates of growth remain the same. Houston is widely recognized as the most diverse city in the US; has the largest medical complex in the world; the busiest port in the US (in terms of foreign tonnage) and 13th largest in the world; two international airports; the Johnson space center; the largest petrochemical complex in the US; an entire museum district with 19 museums and galleries, several of them world-renowned; sports teams in all major sports, a symphony orchestra, and opera company; the most-happening food scene in the US (according to the NYTimes); and a lot of other superlatives. The cost of living is ridiculously low compared to other major urban areas. And the weather is great. Yes. Great (we get rain ... a lot of it ... but it comes down fast, and then it gets sunny. The secret here is we have lots of sun throughout the year, with wonderful warm springs and falls, and only one to two months of cool weather; all good, assuming you can tolerate the humidity of summer).

I will also say, after living here for almost 7 years now, that people GET ALONG in this city (in contrast to the last place I lived ... Baltimore). That is, we don't have the racial tensions that exist in places like Chicago and Baltimore. Our police departments are relatively sane, and one tends to feel safe when half the population is packing. The highways are awesome, and traffic moves (unlike a place like Seattle, where half the drivers are in Priuses [Prii ?] which crowd the left lane at 60 mph. There are jobs here, lots of them, even in the energy industry, even in this downturn, and if one can't get a job, you're either a felon or you don't want to work).

Seattle is bursting at the seams with no room to grow, hemmed in by water and lacking the ability to expand its highways, and is as pricey as San Francisco. Atlanta is a hot mess, with traffic so bad I wouldn't wish it on a republican (well, maybe). California is the sun version of Taxachusetts, where one will never be able to buy a house unless one wins the lottery. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati ? You're on drugs. Dallas is Oklahoma without the taxes but with the churches. The big, iconic-to-be, upcoming cities of the future are Houston and Phoenix. Those cities have room to grow, sun, jobs, affordability, and a forward-looking mindset.
All that said, you're still missing one of the key criteria here: urbanity. In terms of big city amenities, Houston scores very high. In terms of being iconic, it scores pretty well. But for urbanity it's relatively low compared to the cities included in this poll.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 PM

307 posts, read 330,852 times
Quote:

I will also say, after living here for almost 7 years now, that people GET ALONG in this city (in contrast to the last place I lived ... Baltimore). That is, we don't have the racial tensions that exist in places like Chicago and Baltimore. Our police departments are relatively sane, and one tends to feel safe when half the population is packing. The highways are awesome, and traffic moves (unlike a place like Seattle, where half the drivers are in Priuses [Prii ?] which crowd the left lane at 60 mph. There are jobs here, lots of them, even in the energy industry, even in this downturn, and if one can't get a job, you're either a felon or you don't want to work).

This why I'm on this forum. To see the reactions to posts like this.

Last edited by pinytr; 05-10-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:

It's funny how you say others don't know Houston well and then proceed to bash Dallas with false statements. I'm being very nice to Houston, but I can just as easily throw it under the bus with outdated stereotypes.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:25 PM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's funny how you say others don't know Houston well and then proceed to bash Dallas with false statements. I'm being very nice to Houston, but I can just as easily throw it under the bus with outdated stereotypes.

I didn't BASH Dallas. My quick comparison was meant to convey that Dallas is conservative. It's Midwest in mindset. It's more similar to OKC than Houston. That's all.

Well, it IS the city that killed Kennedy. But that was a long time ago.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Urban density is growing faster in Seattle than any other major city. Sure, there are reasons for this...the basic one is there is no room to grow. Also explains huge suburban development across Lake Washington in Bellevue. At the end of the day, Seattle is well-positioned to become the next big urban city in the US.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
I didn't BASH Dallas. My quick comparison was meant to convey that Dallas is conservative. It's Midwest in mindset. It's more similar to OKC than Houston. That's all.

Well, it IS the city that killed Kennedy. But that was a long time ago.
No it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
This why I'm on this forum. To see the reactions to posts like this.
It's all about the arguments. Anybody can say anything, it's all about how you back it up.

We have an OP who thinks LA, the second largest city in our country, has yet to achieve iconic, urban big city status. Then there are those who disagree. Who has the more sound reasoning? Which claims have stronger foundation in fact? You'll have to pay attention.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-10-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Or because they are the most realistic candidates when it comes to the question at hand.
There are far more cities in the South and West that are ahead of many on the list.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
How are St. Louis, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh "trendy?" I mean sure, every city has their trendy neighborhood or two, but are those cities really pulling in people based off of that alone? And there's also the "other" option, so Houston wasn't completely ignored.
Yeah, they were trendy for 5 min but that has passed. Lawrenceville was once dubbed the New Williamsburg but that is over since almost every city in the US has a neighborhood of rich hipster millennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City