Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Canada 110 53.66%
Texas 82 40.00%
Undecided 7 3.41%
Neither 6 2.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:34 AM

367 posts, read 995,988 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, people here are going to be saying, "you cant compare a state to a country", but you actually can in all seriousness...After all Texas was once a country

Canada almost the size of Russia and with 35 million residents and a economy of 1.4 trillion, has a little trouble keeping up with the population growth and economic vitality of Texas whose economy is now 1.5 trillion but with only 26 million residents

. Population Centers in Texas:
- Austin
- Houston
- San Antonio
- El Paso
- Brownsville
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- Corpus Christi

. Population Centers in Canada:
- Winnipeg
- Ottawa
- Calgary
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Vancouver
- Edmonton

Criteria:
- More interesting
- Parks
- Dining
- Sight seeing locations
- Weather
- Economy
- Prominence
- Diversity & Integration
- More scenic
- Better cities
- More livable

Which one appeals more to you? And why? Which one would you live in more so and where in the country (or state) would you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:13 AM

367 posts, read 995,988 times
Canadá may have some great cities but Canadian weather SUCKS

Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM

331 posts, read 592,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
I know, I know, people here are going to be saying, "you cant compare a state to a country", but you actually can in all seriousness...After all Texas was once a country

Canada almost the size of Russia and with 35 million residents and a economy of 1.4 trillion, has a little trouble keeping up with the population growth and economic vitality of Texas whose economy is now 1.5 trillion but with only 26 million residents

. Population Centers in Texas:
- Austin
- Houston
- San Antonio
- El Paso
- Brownsville
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- Corpus Christi

. Population Centers in Canada:
- Winnipeg
- Ottawa
- Calgary
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Vancouver
- Edmonton

Criteria:
- More interesting
- Parks
- Dining
- Sight seeing locations
- Weather
- Economy
- Prominence
- Diversity & Integration
- More scenic
- Better cities
- More livable

Which one appeals more to you? And why? Which one would you live in more so and where in the country (or state) would you live in?
Steve you're alittle off on your stats....

Canada 2012 GDP was $ 1.821 trillion dollars
Also Canada is approx 3.8 million square miles, Russia approx 6.5 million square miles (much bigger)

More scenic...Canada by a long shot, not even close (Canadian Rockies, pacific coast, etc)
Diversity.... Toronto, one of the most diverse cities in the world, Vancouver not far behind
Economy... it's close but Canada has more resources than Texas (ie. gold/diamond mines in north)
Prominence....well.... Canada is a country....
More livable...Canada has a better social safety net..paid maternity leave, etc/less crime
Weather....tempted to say Texas but I can't stand those long hot Texas summers, yuck
Sight seeing locations....hmmm...Niagara Falls, Banff, compared to Alamo, Big Bend
Better Cities....Canada hands down, I've been to Big D, El Paso, Houston, nothin' special there
Parks....Canada has 45 National Parks and many Provincial Parks (much more wilderness, LOL)
Dining...not sure but I've heard there is pretty good dining in Montreal
More interesting....I've driven across Texas a number of times and was bored out of my mind

Texas is ok but I'm going with Canada ....California vs Canada....well that's a much harder decision

Last edited by PzKpfw; 10-25-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
I would chose Canada for every single one of these categories, and Canadian weather in Vancouver is very very very different from Canadian weather in Quebec City, which is different from Halifax, which is different from Windsor, which is different from Yellowknife.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post

You're off by 103 billion dollars, which is a significant. Texas' GDP according to the latest government data is $1.397 Trillion

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional...df/gsp0613.pdf

And Canada is $1.8 Trillion btw

Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Canada because of - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, etc...

Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Canada

Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Criteria:
- More interesting: Canada has both French-speaking Quebec, areas that border Alaska, and places that look like Ireland or England along the Atlantic.
- Parks: Canada and this could be for city parks(Stanley Park and Mont Royal alone take this) or National Parks--which Banff and Jasper curbstomp anything in Texas--not even getting into everything in BC.
- Dining: Maybe Texas. Canada is excellent for eating in the big cities, but expensive(lots of good international options), but outside somewhere like Quebec, lacks regional cuisine really in much of the country. Texas has great Mexican and BBQ and Southern in addition to international options in Dallas and Houston(Nigerian food!).
- Sight seeing locations: Canada, for reasons already mentioned. Quebec alone is more impressive than Texas for interesing locations to visit.
- Weather: Texas, I like ice hockey and snow and hate humidity, though the short winter days can be rough. Texas ranges from humid Southern weather to dry Southwestern weather, not my favorites, but not that hard to deal with
- Economy: Could be about a tie
- Prominence: Canada
- Diversity & Integration: Canada
- More scenic: Canada
- Better cities: Canada, by so much...
- More livable: Canada

So basically...oh, Canada

Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I love my state but if its Canada vs. Texas, Im going with Canada on every front but weather.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,271 times
Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City