Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is the best
Nashville 18 26.09%
Raleigh 12 17.39%
Portland 27 39.13%
Austin 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 AM

192 posts, read 242,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
How is Austin in last place? That don't even make sense. Something is wrong with this poll because Austin should be in 1st place by quite alot of votes. My guess is it's more anti-Texas sentiment than it is a vote against Austin.
I don't think that's it at all. Austin is still wildly popular and "cool", but it's gotten incredibly expensive even relative to other high COL cities and has gotten very crowded. Going anywhere in the city by car is a nightmare as infrastructure and transit haven't kept up with the growth. I used to love traveling down there and spending a week doing all the things. Now? No thanks. It's gotten out of control, sadly.

Also, it's up against some pretty stiff competition in this poll. Nashville being the new Austin gets much love, the Triad is a current darling of the forum and Portland is the blueprint for all mid-sized cities in the 21st century.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Funny to see folks here put these polls out in some attempt to get their favorite cities mentioned --- like having their names mentioned on radio I guess ---- and then complain that the poll does NOT go the way they wanted. They're just attempts to cheer-lead by city fanboys/gals or pleas for their cities to be recognized for ____ and/or inflate the importance of ____ in this forum.

So we'll hear silly things like, "City A is not cool anymore because of all the new tall glass buildings." Really? That smacks of the purported Yogiism that people never go "there" anymore because it's always too crowded.

And then there's my favorite: City B isn't "hip" because it's all "hype". Then I'll read comments by the same ppl to see themtouting their favorite City C with all its "hip" places and "nabes" with links to where City C is "hyped" in national rankings/mags.
You basically captured the essence of the City vs City sub-forum with this post. Comparing cities on anything other than hard, quantifiable data and metrics is as subjective as judging an impressionist painting competition. It's really rather pointless, and accomplishes nothing. It's one thing to state preferences...but ignoring facts and data and to claim the preferences of others are wrong, is wrong.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:36 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
How is Austin in last place? That don't even make sense. Something is wrong with this poll because Austin should be in 1st place by quite alot of votes. My guess is it's more anti-Texas sentiment than it is a vote against Austin.
Because at this point, the hype surrounding Austin is "old" and people are now moving on the next, hottest, trendiest, newly talked bout thing (city).

Still doesn't make any of those newly hyped, current "it thing" cities better than Austin, though.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM

617 posts, read 552,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
I don't think that's it at all. Austin is still wildly popular and "cool", but it's gotten incredibly expensive even relative to other high COL cities and has gotten very crowded. Going anywhere in the city by car is a nightmare as infrastructure and transit haven't kept up with the growth. I used to love traveling down there and spending a week doing all the things. Now? No thanks. It's gotten out of control, sadly.

Also, it's up against some pretty stiff competition in this poll. Nashville being the new Austin gets much love, the Triad is a current darling of the forum and Portland is the blueprint for all mid-sized cities in the 21st century.

Great post! Just wanted to point out its actually "The Triangle" but it is easily confused with the "Triad" which is only an hour to the west.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Great post! Just wanted to point out its actually "The Triangle" but it is easily confused with the "Triad" which is only an hour to the west.
Correction noted! I often use the two interchangeably, which I know I shouldn't do.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

Still doesn't make any of those newly hyped, current "it thing" cities better than Austin, though.
I hear that alot, that Austin is over hyped, but what exactly does that mean, Just what are people expecting Austin to be like when they visit or move here?

Austin is famous for being the Capital of Texas, University of Texas, its music scene, the downtown bars and clubs, bbq, easy going, laid back friendly well-mannered people, Tex-Mex, the lakes, the Hill Country, festivals and events, hot weather, floods, some of the worst traffic congestion in the country, high rent and probably one of the top 5 expensive cities that is not on the West Coast, DC, South Florida, or the Northeast.

Those characteristics of Austin are all pretty much common knowledge thru out the country, it' no secret and it's not an exaggeration. What's over hyped? That's why I don't get it when people say Austin is over-hyped.

People must have higher expectations for Austin. If somebody moves to Austin and expects it to be like Houston or San Francisco, and maybe that person thought Austin was over hyped, then I can probably understand it, but truth is, that person do their research about Austin. Austin is not Houston and it's not Dallas, Ft Worth or San Antonio either. And its not San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston or Atlanta. It's Austin, so they shouldn't expect it to be like any of those cities.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:04 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
I hear that alot, that Austin is over hyped, but what exactly does that mean, Just what are people expecting Austin to be like when they visit or move here?

Austin is famous for being the Capital of Texas, University of Texas, its music scene, the downtown bars and clubs, bbq, easy going, laid back friendly well-mannered people, Tex-Mex, the lakes, the Hill Country, festivals and events, hot weather, floods, some of the worst traffic congestion in the country, high rent and probably one of the top 5 expensive cities that is not on the West Coast, DC, South Florida, or the Northeast.

Those characteristics of Austin are all pretty much common knowledge thru out the country, it' no secret and it's not an exaggeration. What's over hyped? That's why I don't get it when people say Austin is over-hyped.

People must have higher expectations for Austin. If somebody moves to Austin and expects it to be like Houston or San Francisco, and maybe that person thought Austin was over hyped, then I can probably understand it, but truth is, that person do their research about Austin. Austin is not Houston and it's not Dallas, Ft Worth or San Antonio either. And its not San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Boston or Atlanta. It's Austin, so they shouldn't expect it to be like any of those cities.
Oh, I totally agree. At this point, Austin is what it is, and everyone pretty much knows what that consists of, by now. Or at least they SHOULD.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:13 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:

For one, every single thing about it is overplayed and hyped up in the media. Whether it's food, stores, events, bars, etc. You would think that San Antonio, Fort Worth, Dallas, and Houston have nothing to offer in comparison. I had no idea that food trucks made Austin so special. They're present in most cities, so what's the big deal? I guess I'll cancel my trip to Honolulu and go visit Austin instead to watch bats and eat from a food truck .

Due to the endless media hype and chest pumping from its citizens & Chamber of Commerce, your average person will know more about Austin than any other TX city other than the Dallas Cowboys for Dallas lol. There are lots of people that believe that it is the only diverse city in TX and also the only one where LGBT are welcomed. Or even the only one that has nightlife. It's crazy how much myth and hype has been built around it. It's one of a few cities that I can think of that has been turned into a brand name. By visiting or moving there, your life will magically be awesome. It honestly reminds me of Jonestown.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:15 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Not familiar with Raleigh or Portland. I've been to Austin and Nashville. In that comparison, Austin hands down. I like Austin. Just took my daughter there to get her doctorate at UT Austin.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
For one, every single thing about it is overplayed and hyped up in the media. Whether it's food, stores, events, bars, etc. You would think that San Antonio, Fort Worth, Dallas, and Houston have nothing to offer in comparison. I had no idea that food trucks made Austin so special. They're present in most cities, so what's the big deal? I guess I'll cancel my trip to Honolulu and go visit Austin instead to watch bats and eat from a food truck .

Due to the endless media hype and chest pumping from its citizens & Chamber of Commerce, your average person will know more about Austin than any other TX city other than the Dallas Cowboys for Dallas lol. There are lots of people that believe that it is the only diverse city in TX and also the only one where LGBT are welcomed. Or even the only one that has nightlife. It's crazy how much myth and hype has been built around it. It's one of a few cities that I can think of that has been turned into a brand name. By visiting or moving there, your life will magically be awesome. It honestly reminds me of Jonestown.
Man the Austin hate truly runs strong on CD. Sheesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City