Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit or Buffalo?
Detroit 38 64.41%
Buffalo 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:04 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times

Advertisements

The downtowns of both city hold their own.
The city of Buffalo is in much better condition than Detroit. (In Detroit, we need to buy a bulldozer and turn 1/3 the city into a manicured park.)
The suburbs of Detroit are more expansive and nicer than those of Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
The downtowns of both city hold their own.
The city of Buffalo is in much better condition than Detroit. (In Detroit, we need to buy a bulldozer and turn 1/3 the city into a manicured park.)
The suburbs of Detroit are more expansive and nicer than those of Buffalo.
In terms of suburbs, I'd say that Williamsville/East Amherst, Snyder and Clarence along Main Street are similar to the nicer Woodward Corridor suburbs.

Buffalo has some nice Southtown suburbs/exurbs(Hamburg, Orchard Park, East Aurora, etc.), around Niagara Falls(Lewiston-Porter area and Wheatfield) and Lancaster, among a couple of others(Grand Island and perhaps Pendleton outside of Lockport).

Old 02-06-2020, 11:27 AM

156 posts, read 174,220 times
Downtown Buffalo didn't fall as hard as Detroit, and you can see evidence of that when you visit both cities... Detroit has made massive strides in the last 3 - 4 years though. If you visited the city in 2016 and then came back today, the experience is night and day... With the construction of Little Ceasars arena, the opening up of the Q-Line street car, as well as bars, restaurants and stores opening up along Woodward avenue, and the gentrification of Corktown, the fabric of the downtown has changed massively..
I think a few years ago Buffalo offered a better downtown experience, today I'm not sure; I think it's probably close.. Its great to see both "rustbelt" cities making a comeback..

Old 02-06-2020, 02:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Buffalo is better today. Detroit has the better potential simply due its past size and importance. It has the name and infrastructure to be very relevant again. But its core area fell way further than Buffalo's did.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:19 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Very tough one for me. Though I wouldn't want to live in either, I like them and am pulling for them to have a comeback in the 20's. But I'll go with Detroit. I love sports. It has 4 major league teams and U of Michigan is nearby. Plus I have some family and a few friends in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City