Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live?
Denver 9 26.47%
Portland 3 8.82%
Seattle 14 41.18%
San Diego 8 23.53%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 12,376 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old single female who will be graduating college in December. I am most likely going to be working as a staff accountant for a large public accounting firm who has offices pretty much all over the US, and I am able to be transferred to any office I choose.

I've lived in the Philadelphia suburbs my whole life, and I am looking for a pretty big change. I am extremely outdoorsy and so outdoor activities are very important to me! I LOVE the mountains - hiking, camping, mountain biking etc. I also love the ocean but probably not as much as I appreciate mountains and similar scenery. I am also a huge animal lover so pet-friendliness is important, as well as access to horseback riding in some way (I have been riding horses since I was little.) So my four choices are: Denver, Seattle, San Diego, and Portland. However, the company that I can work for does not have an office in Portland - so I would have to apply to different accounting firms there.

With that being said, I currently have two sisters living in Denver, CO, so if I moved there, at least I would have some family around. However, I don't like the fact that Denver is landlocked and is so dry (I love lots of trees and green-ness.) I have only really been to CO once, and was in the mountains the whole time so I didn't have much of a chance to see the city, so I have no idea what the city is like either.

Portland, OR is on the list because I have always had this fascination with Oregon (even though I have never been there.) I will be visiting Portland and Bend this August to see what it's all about. I like the fact that there is a beautiful coast, mountains, waterfalls, rivers, and desert all packed into one state. I also like the fact that it is known for being quirky/weird. However, the dreary weather for 9 months out of the year is concerning to me - but since I have never experienced it, I have no idea how I would react to it. I would honestly consider moving to Bend since it is a bit sunnier there, but I don't know if that would be a good place to start a career at this age/meet people my age. But again, I do not have a job offer in Oregon - I would have to find a different accounting firm to work for.

I know Seattle is similar to Portland in regards to weather and outdoor recreation if I am not mistaken. I am also aware that the cost of living is extremely high in Seattle - do you think I could make it work if I had a job in the accounting field and lived with a roommate? Same goes for San Diego as far as cost of living. San Diego definitely wins in the weather category, but are there close-by mountains to hike or is it mostly a city for beach lovers?

As you can see, I am pretty much all over the place, and have only actually visited one of my choices (Denver.) If anyone has any experience with any of these places, I would love your advice! I would like the cities to be mainly compared on COL/outdoor recreation/quality of life, but I am also curious to know what the nightlife options are too, since I am single and in my 20's after all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
the dreariness of Portland and Seattle is a bit exaggerated, yes it exists, but it's not for 9 months, it's more like 5-6 months of dreariness, which is still bad I guess.

Here are climate tables that might help you understand the climates a bit better

Philadelphia
Portland
Seattle

Bend, OR also has very cold nights/mornings.
Bend

and here are the others
Denver
San Diego

Also if living near a desert interests you, eastern WA has drier and hotter climates than eastern OR since eastern WA's elevation is lower than eastern OR's
Hanford Site
Kennewick

I've never been to Denver but the city does seem to have plenty of trees
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7347...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7514...2!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6269...2!8i6656?hl=en

but yes the moment you leave the city it's very barren
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7984...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 07-25-2017, 04:28 AM

43 posts, read 60,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyrose View Post
Same goes for San Diego as far as cost of living. San Diego definitely wins in the weather category, but are there close-by mountains to hike or is it mostly a city for beach lovers?
Beaches - yes.
San Diego has mountains and great hiking trails - some of the best in the country.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
Seattle if you want the more urban experience. San Diego for the better weather, beaches, and for being so close to the massive LA urban region, whereas Seattle feels very isolated in comparison. There are unlimited entertainment options in SoCal. Definitely not the case in Seattle, which rests heavily on outdoor recreation for your weekend entertainment if that's your cup of tea.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle if you want the more urban experience. San Diego for the better weather, beaches, and for being so close to the massive LA urban region, whereas Seattle feels very isolated in comparison. There are unlimited entertainment options in SoCal. Definitely not the case in Seattle, which rests heavily on outdoor recreation for your weekend entertainment if that's your cup of tea.
I somewhat disagree with your assertion on entertainment. While yes Socal/LA have a lot more to do then Seattle itself. As a young person, who is from an urban city (Philly in the case) having entertainment options centrally located serves as a plus rather then a massive commute to get to most of what you would like to see. I think you can manage without having to rely on outdoor rec. Plenty of cool bars, events, and restaurants around the city to be bored.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
If I have to live in the United States, I would so gladly take any of these four. You just cannot lose with these IMO, well unless you're only into huge cities like Tokyo or New York or Seoul or something. Other than that, awesome choices. Again, I'd gladly take any of the four and all four are on my overall list of places I could envision life in if I had to live in America but if pressed to pick just one then San Diego. Just barely, barely over Seattle, Denver, and Portland.

I could take all four though, happily so.

For you? Sounds like Portland would be the closest to what you want. Can't miss on any of the four though, so whatever you pick is going to be awesome regardless.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:01 PM

61 posts, read 62,110 times
I personally would pick Seattle, but Denver seems like a better fit for you. You have family there, you've been there and you're more into mountains. It's also much sunnier there than Seattle or Portland.

No place is gonna have everything you want. That's the reality. Every single city in the US has pros and cons. If you want water, just take vacations to fulfill that need.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 12,376 times
Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I am ultimately going to choose Denver because of my siblings that live there, but if I fall in love with Portland when I go visit this month, I may just have to apply to places out there.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
San Diego

Old 10-06-2017, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,634 times
Default Denver, Portland, or other city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyrose View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I am ultimately going to choose Denver because of my siblings that live there, but if I fall in love with Portland when I go visit this month, I may just have to apply to places out there.

Hi there,

I have to choose between two job offers: one in Denver, CO, and the other in Portland, OR. I came across your post and am wondering what your final decision was. I just returned from a visit to Denver and the surrounding area/mountains. I have not visited Portland, but I am from the East Coast (Miami, FL), so I do have an affinity to the ocean. Although, I am fond of the mountains as well. Portland has access to both, but I am also concerned about the cost of living. Never been on a pair of skis a day in my life, but am the adventurous type and I'd try anything at least once. I'm a surfer, and have tons of friends who live out in Hawaii and California- but the cost of living in those places are outside my pocketbooks right now. I am very outdoorsy, and have to make my decision this week since I have been offered a job in both cities. Did you ever get a chance to visit Portland, Oregon? If so, what did you think?

Happiness,

Patricia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City