Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times

Advertisements

Long story short, born and raised in Duluth, MN. Moved out to the Phoenix area over 7 years ago. Hyped things up, thought it was going to be amazing in the Phoenix area - was very let down overall. Yeah, the weather is nice in the winter (summer weather is very not fun, just like winter weather is out in Minnesota), but there's one thing that's really strange, and I'm not sure if it happens in every city. But I've seen this time and time again - when people move out here, they get addicted to the nightlife and the amount of variety, so no one's looking for anything serious. Also, yes there are a lot of jobs here, but they're not that great paying, and I've got a bachelor's.

So, I'm a little checked out of the Phoenix area (I gave it a shot for over 7 years, that's a good chunk of my life). So I may have a bit of a bias, and admittedly, I may be looking for people to validate my thoughts, but I'm looking for comparisons between the Phoenix metro as a whole and the Minneapolis metro as a whole. Economic outlook, the dating scene, etc.

Looking for any and all opinions, as long as they're civil and we don't end up getting this thread derailed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:13 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,498 times
Yes, wages are higher in Minneapolis VS Phoenix

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/...inneapolis.pdf
https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/sum...ry_phoenix.pdf

Cost of living index is higher in Minneapolis at 85 VS Phoenix of 71
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
When you do the math, it is almost a break even. In Minneapolis though the job market has been increasing faster than the population where as in Phoenix the population is exploding along with the job market, so it might be easier to get a high paying job in Minneapolis.

Phoenix is a very transient city, so people want to go out more and meet new people. The nightlife is definitely better in the Phoenix metro, which is important to some. But if you get out of Scottsdale/Tempe areas it can be fairly family orientated like Minneapolis.

Both are great cities in my opinion. It comes down to picking a cold winter vs a hot summer.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Both are great cities in my opinion. It comes down to picking a cold winter vs a hot summer.
I think I would have to get a whole new wardrobe for the winter since I got rid of most of my winter stuff when moving down to AZ

Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,427 times
I've lived in both for years, but can't say I like either. I'd rather live in Duluth or Bemidji than Minneapolis and I'd rather live in Tucson or Flagstaff than Phoenix.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Phoenix for a few weeks in the winter- Minneapolis the rest of the year (work, pleasure, life).

Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,255 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of MSP transplants in PHX? I feel like that's been a common migration pattern for like 50 years.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a lot of MSP transplants in PHX? I feel like that's been a common migration pattern for like 50 years.
There are a lot of Minnesotans out this way in general. When you run into them, it's always a great conversation.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I've lived in both for years, but can't say I like either. I'd rather live in Duluth or Bemidji than Minneapolis and I'd rather live in Tucson or Flagstaff than Phoenix.
Did you ever live in Duluth? I lived the majority of my life there - it's a rather small city and has a lot of charm, it's grown a lot over the years as well. I must say, I've gotten used to the amenities of a bigger city. However, maybe one day I may see myself back in my hometown.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
There are a lot of Minnesotans out this way in general. When you run into them, it's always a great conversation.
A lot of German and Scandinavian descent in PHX - They had to mostly come from the Midwest

There was a girl I was semi dating in DEN last year from MSP. Her Mom lives in PHX, let's just say she didn't have rave reviews for Phoenix compared to Denver.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Did you ever live in Duluth? I lived the majority of my life there - it's a rather small city and has a lot of charm, it's grown a lot over the years as well. I must say, I've gotten used to the amenities of a bigger city. However, maybe one day I may see myself back in my hometown.
Surprise to me how Duluth is such a big Democratic stronghold. The last election, MN lit up red except for Duluth. Had another 1-2 more counties flipped, MN would have went for Big Don.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City