Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento vs. Indianapolis
Sacramento 60 55.05%
Indianapolis 49 44.95%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Please only consider the cities themselves and not the areas that around them (e.g. proximity to San Francisco should not factor into this comparison). Just compare the cities themselves as distinct entities.

Here are the categories:

Overall urbanity/vibrancy
Walkability
Restaurants
Bars/Nightlife
Shopping
Weather
Better Downtown
Better Neighborhoods
Parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Sacramento in each metric by miles. Was this created to have another anti Indy landslide?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Sacramento in every category easily

Old 11-21-2017, 02:15 PM

422 posts, read 396,248 times
Never been to Indy (not sure if I want to) but being from Sac it gets my vote.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,774 times
Sac! It really is a nice city, and I think it beats Indy in every category.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
So far, Sacremnento is winning handily in the comments section, 4 to 0, but only leads Indianapolis in the actual poll by 1 vote, 8 to 7.

Makes one wonder if Indianapolis is getting sympathy votes.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:31 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
So far, Sacremnento is winning handily in the comments section, 4 to 0, but only leads Indianapolis in the actual poll by 1 vote, 8 to 7.

Makes one wonder if Indianapolis is getting sympathy votes.
I agree. And honestly I think this is far closer than the Sac posters are claiming it is. For those who are voting Indy, what makes you vote that way? And honestly - same question for Sac voters. Just saying “Sac wins easily in every category” doesn’t really provide anything.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I agree. And honestly I think this is far closer than the Sac posters are claiming it is. For those who are voting Indy, what makes you vote that way? And honestly - same question for Sac voters. Just saying “Sac wins easily in every category” doesn’t really provide anything.
I've been to both cities more than once, and I would easily choose Sacramento. It's less run down than Indianapolis, and has a much better climate

Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Please only consider the cities themselves and not the areas that around them (e.g. proximity to San Francisco should not factor into this comparison). Just compare the cities themselves as distinct entities.

Here are the categories:

Overall urbanity/vibrancy
Walkability
Restaurants
Bars/Nightlife
Shopping
Weather
Better Downtown
Better Neighborhoods
Parks
You can't not factor in proximity to other places because that's part of any place's allure is its connectivity and location. I do agree that this is closer than most people are saying it is. Sacramento surprisingly feels larger than one would expect; it only feels small from the comparison of being in a state full of large cities. Indianapolis is basically the only large city in its state and feels about the same size...

Urbanity and Vibrancy: These are two overwhelmingly suburban cities. Sac has that California style "dense suburbia" thing going on, but it's actual urban and vibrant areas are woefully small and almost entirely concentrated in Downtown and Midtown. Indianapolis' urban core is smaller, though, in a city that has a much larger land area, so Sac has the larger core. It's also denser in its densest parts and has a larger spread of walkability, so this is going to Sac, but make no mistake, both cities are extremely suburban...

Everything else is a relative push, or the slightest edge to Sacramento (neighborhoods, light rail). I can't think of any of your criteria where Indianapolis is a clear winner, but in none of these categories is Sacramento blowing out Indy either, except the fact that it's urban core is twice as large with higher doses of urban form. Food and weather are not serious causes for consideration to me; it's almost 2018, great food can be had in any sizable city, but not only that, if you are more particular about a certain genre or dish or style, certain places do that style better than others. And weather is completely subject to preference. I'd take Indy's weather, I'd take almost anybody's weather over hot and dry Sacramento summers, but I wouldn't dare say Indy has "better" weather. It's just a choice...

Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You can't not factor in proximity to other places because that's part of any place's allure is its connectivity and location. I do agree that this is closer than most people are saying it is. Sacramento surprisingly feels larger than one would expect; it only feels small from the comparison of being in a state full of large cities. Indianapolis is basically the only large city in its state and feels about the same size...

Urbanity and Vibrancy: These are two overwhelmingly suburban cities. Sac has that California style "dense suburbia" thing going on, but it's actual urban and vibrant areas are woefully small and almost entirely concentrated in Downtown and Midtown. Indianapolis' urban core is smaller, though, in a city that has a much larger land area, so Sac has the larger core. It's also denser in its densest parts and has a larger spread of walkability, so this is going to Sac, but make no mistake, both cities are extremely suburban...

Everything else is a relative push, or the slightest edge to Sacramento (neighborhoods, light rail). I can't think of any of your criteria where Indianapolis is a clear winner, but in none of these categories is Sacramento blowing out Indy either, except the fact that it's urban core is twice as large with higher doses of urban form. Food and weather are not serious causes for consideration to me; it's almost 2018, great food can be had in any sizable city, but not only that, if you are more particular about a certain genre or dish or style, certain places do that style better than others. And weather is completely subject to preference. I'd take Indy's weather, I'd take almost anybody's weather over hot and dry Sacramento summers, but I wouldn't dare say Indy has "better" weather. It's just a choice...
The main reason I would rule out Sacramento is because it wouldn't be a cultural fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City