Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,400,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Ummmm, I think that picture was taken 10 years ago
i didn't comment on that particular pic, because i agree, it has looked like that for a long, long time. now, what is going on there, i can only speculate. but, it is not indicative of the hot springs area. all the other car lots actually turn their inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 08:34 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i didn't comment on that particular pic, because i agree, it has looked like that for a long, long time. now, what is going on there, i can only speculate. but, it is not indicative of the hot springs area. all the other car lots actually turn their inventory.

Funny thing is.. they are! I really not sure how he staying in open..He must got some folks still paying on a 20 year old car note..
Use the google history..

Old 01-07-2018, 03:32 PM

506 posts, read 651,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXShar View Post
Looking to move in retirement...........Hot Springs and HSV have a strong appeal ... We've been in the Austin area for over 30 years... and it's Grown to be a very BIG City...with Big city problems... Great Place if you are still employed But will be very costly on a fixed income.

My question about Hot Springs for seniors:
Health Care
Crime
Cost of Utilities
Taxes

Anyone Move to HS from Texas with any pro's and cons?
Thanks
We moved from Texas to Hot Springs Village and Loved it. We didn't move to get out of the "rat race" since we were in small town TX. The health care, including dental, in HSV is fair to good in my experience. For instance, in HSV there is a husband and wife team optometrists I really miss. Dr Mike and Dr Susan. The dentists, however , were rude , impatient, and one old goat really yelled at me for moaning that he was hurting me. He sort of told me to shut up. My husband needed a kidney removed. This surgeon came into his room and described how he'd slice open his side and remove it. But when I told my daughter about this in Texas she said to come here; that she was friends with a doctor who could remove it laparoscopically and he did. No side effects and it's been ten years now.
The crime in the village has picked up. Everyone knows it. You see, it is NOT REALLY GATED. One gate is constantly vandalized. I mean, they tear it up because it's the mentality in Hot Springs due to the salaries and jobs being scarce. You can find it on google: "Hot Springs Village Arkansas crime." The main entrance is manned by elderly guys and its extremely wide so people just drive on through and nobody does anything about it. You're supposed to show them your membership card but a lot of people don't wish to sit and wait.
The utilities are priced low as are the taxes. In fact, the taxes are a joke. The housing is varied and runs from yucky homes to totally gorgeous ones. I loved the scenery, the fall color is extreme, the snowfall minimal. Some winters you'd have a few snowflakes and that was it. And in winter is when the big, fat deer come out and eat your shrubbery. People complained but I never did. I loved it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Funny thing is.. they are! I really not sure how he staying in open..He must got some folks still paying on a 20 year old car note..
Use the google history..

LOL, I do believe you have a point!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
I'd take Hot Springs over Austin, Texas in a heartbeat. And I've been to both these places. Austin is way over-rated.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 19,729 times
I grew up in Lubbock, Texas. I currently live in Hot Springs. Drugs are a problem.. methamphetamines run rampant... no matter WHAT side of town you are on. I'm looking to get out of This town with my kids. This isn't where I want to continue to raise them. Hot Springs does rely heavily on tourism and there are those shops that see most of their revenue during the "tourist seasons" (for example, the racetrack opens for races tomorrow -- weather permitting --- ). Health Care is okay, if you have insurance and find a Dr that suits you. There is always Little Rock for healthcare, if you don't mind the drive.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 19,729 times
Now, my parents live in DiamondHead (by lake catherine), and it is a lot quieter over there. However, you have your bad apples no matter where you go.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat1020 View Post
Now, my parents live in DiamondHead (by lake catherine), and it is a lot quieter over there. However, you have your bad apples no matter where you go.
Yep.. I ran the Pool in 2003 their lol.. even that SHOle has problems. Their issue is HOA not enforcing some of the main rules and kids thinks they are privilege brats than can do what they want to do.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 36,009 times
Sounds like lots of Texans are heading North..... I grew up in Southern OHIO.... Moved to Austin 35 years ago. Great place to work... but it's a Young Place geared towards young families.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXShar View Post
Thank you for your Answer......... I'm sure the person starting the thread about Traffic was just being snarky, because Austin Traffic is in the top 10 Nation wide. LOL

We've been to HS and HSV several times.........We like the area because it is very laid back. And I fully understand your comments concerning rolling up the sidewalk after dark. LOL........We are active retirees. And NOT afraid to drive the 20 minutes to Hot Springs Night life now and then.

We have everything at our fingertips here..Hospital is 5 min. from the House...All the shopping you can every desire 2 min drive. Lots of Restaurants. Etc. BUT with all of this comes a major downside. Traffic, noise, crime, and higher cost of living. Going into complete retirement we need to stretch our dollars.

IF you are young, working and love lots of activity..Greater Austin Area is a fantastic place to live... But once you retire it starts to loose it's glow.
We know several, well some people here in Bella Vista who moved here from the Austin area, as well as from Dallas. The traffic was awful in Austin when we lived in Texas 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City