Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 07:47 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Chicago likes New York
Agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 08:27 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Well said...NY’ers don’t care if you like it or hate it there, nor do they get upset if you make a negative comment about the city. Many NY’ers (I am originally from there) who love it there will often find something to complain about but then move on. What can I say, we’re thick skinned critical people with expectations....I have lived in some other cities and god forbid you say anything critical of their fine city—you will get an infantile “why don’t you leave if you don’t like it here” response and/or they get so offended and act as though you just pissed on their grandmother’s grave.

With
In most cities there is an amount of time you must live there before you can criticize. If someone moved to
Boston two months ago and says “god why is last call 2am what’s wrong with you” Someone might reply “what did you expect it’s Boston, why’d you move here”. But if you’ve been around 7 years say people will not be so harsh

Also LOL no New Yorkers get really annoyed if people don’t cede that they are the best everything and objectively the best place in America.

Last edited by btownboss4; 11-04-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Agree to disagree.
hey, go easy on NYC, VA....they are the second city to us.

Chicago deep dish over that thin foldable NY variety

Chicago's garden in a bun over NY's sauerkraut laden whatever-it-is

Chicago's Italian beef over N.......er.....they don't have anything.

River Walk over High Line

Loop el over 42nd St shuttle subway

Lincoln Park's endless blue horizon over boxed in Central Park

LSD high rise condos over 57th St's Billionaire Row's pencil thin, sky high towers

no contest

Chicago is "the city second to none" to New York's "second city"

(and, for the record: all above is written in TOTAL jest)

Old 11-04-2018, 08:39 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In most cities there is an amount of time you must live there before you can criticize. If someone moved to
Boston two months ago and says “god why is last call 2pm what’s wrong with you†Someone might reply “what did you expect it’s Boston, why’d you move hereâ€. But if you’ve been around 7 years say people will not be so harsh

Also LOL no New Yorkers get really annoyed if people don’t cede that they are the best everything and objectively the best place in America.
I think it would be safe for anyone to complain about a 2PM last call.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:46 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:

This one is a pretty common perception, though usually the NY pizza is falsely likened to cardboard.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
hey, go easy on NYC, VA....they are the second city to us.

Chicago's garden in a bun over NY's sauerkraut laden whatever-it-is

Chicago's Italian beef over N.......er.....they don't have anything.

River Walk over High Line

Loop el over 42nd St shuttle subway

Lincoln Park's endless blue horizon over boxed in Central Park

LSD high rise condos over 57th St's Billionaire Row's pencil thin, sky high towers

no contest

Chicago is "the city second to none" to New York's "second city"

(and, for the record: all above is written in TOTAL jest)
I guess because I'm not from NYC, I can gladly admit that a lot of what you said about Chicago is better. Especially Italian beef and Lincoln Park. But deep dish, Riverwalk, and LSD condos are debatable.

I honestly love Chicago. The only downside for it to me is that it's still the Midwest. I love the city itself, but I feel like it's still isolated. I like that in NYC, you can easily take trains to so many other major, cultural urban centers like Boston, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Especially for Philly, it's even possible to just go for day trips.

Chicago has the better beaches within city limits as access to them is unmatched in NYC. So much easier to be in the heart of the city in a high rise, walk to the beach for a few hours, take a summer nap, and go back out at night on a warm summer night. Not as easy in NYC. But, NYC has the better beach destination towns, almost all accessible by train. The entire Jersey Shore (and no, not like the show) is accessible by NJT train, and most beach towns on LI are off the LIRR. I know the Shore towns better, and there is really nothing by Chicago I know of like Point Pleasant or Asbury Park.

If you have/rent a car, you can easily drive to overnight or weekend trips to places like Atlantic City (which is getting much nicer and can soon hopefully be Vegas' little brother on the opposite coast) and Cape May for beach vacations. And for skiing you can drive to the Poconos/Catskills/Adirondacks. As far as I know, Chicago has nothing even close to those three mountain resort areas that are as close. The trains to towns up the Hudson are packed in summer, with many people getting off at towns like Croton, Peekskill, Beacon, and others.

As for city limits themselves, I think Chicago and NYC are much closer than New Yorkers wish to admit. However, when extending into the metros and regions, NYC pulls far ahead. I love having so many various things so close by. I've taken trains to Philly for the day, overnight, and weekends. Taken the train to Boston and DC for weekends. Asbury Park is only a little over an hour away for beach days and is quickly becoming one of the premier beach towns in the Northeast. Stuff like that puts NYC clearly on top for me.

When considering regions as a whole, I love the variety of options in NYC. When considering just the cities themselves, I love both basically equally. I just don't think I could ever live in Chicago now after living here where there is so much to do for weekend trips. And yes, I know there are some cities/towns you can visit near Chicago, but let's be real, you can't compare accessibility from Chicago with accessibility from NYC. Places from NYC include Boston, Providence, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Jersey Shore, Long Island, the Poconos, the Catskills, the Adirondacks, and probably some places I'm forgetting to mention.

Also, though, yes to Chicago having to defend itself far more than most other places. People that have never been just assume it's a warzone 24/7 and there's nothing nice about it. I've never even lived there, but I love the city and get really annoyed when people think such negative thoughts about the city. The construction boom and attractiveness of the north and west sides is beyond impressive and I've read various articles of how CTA is doing much better about preparing and repairing itself compared to MTA.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Chicago is a great city with great neighborhoods and actually fairly easy to drive in, including the most busiest areas. It would be a City I could see living in *

* = except from November 30 - mid March.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guess because I'm not from NYC, I can gladly admit that a lot of what you said about Chicago is better. Especially Italian beef and Lincoln Park. But deep dish, Riverwalk, and LSD condos are debatable.

I honestly love Chicago. The only downside for it to me is that it's still the Midwest. I love the city itself, but I feel like it's still isolated. I like that in NYC, you can easily take trains to so many other major, cultural urban centers like Boston, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Especially for Philly, it's even possible to just go for day trips.

Chicago has the better beaches within city limits as access to them is unmatched in NYC. So much easier to be in the heart of the city in a high rise, walk to the beach for a few hours, take a summer nap, and go back out at night on a warm summer night. Not as easy in NYC. But, NYC has the better beach destination towns, almost all accessible by train. The entire Jersey Shore (and no, not like the show) is accessible by NJT train, and most beach towns on LI are off the LIRR. I know the Shore towns better, and there is really nothing by Chicago I know of like Point Pleasant or Asbury Park.

If you have/rent a car, you can easily drive to overnight or weekend trips to places like Atlantic City (which is getting much nicer and can soon hopefully be Vegas' little brother on the opposite coast) and Cape May for beach vacations. And for skiing you can drive to the Poconos/Catskills/Adirondacks. As far as I know, Chicago has nothing even close to those three mountain resort areas that are as close. The trains to towns up the Hudson are packed in summer, with many people getting off at towns like Croton, Peekskill, Beacon, and others.

As for city limits themselves, I think Chicago and NYC are much closer than New Yorkers wish to admit. However, when extending into the metros and regions, NYC pulls far ahead. I love having so many various things so close by. I've taken trains to Philly for the day, overnight, and weekends. Taken the train to Boston and DC for weekends. Asbury Park is only a little over an hour away for beach days and is quickly becoming one of the premier beach towns in the Northeast. Stuff like that puts NYC clearly on top for me.

When considering regions as a whole, I love the variety of options in NYC. When considering just the cities themselves, I love both basically equally. I just don't think I could ever live in Chicago now after living here where there is so much to do for weekend trips. And yes, I know there are some cities/towns you can visit near Chicago, but let's be real, you can't compare accessibility from Chicago with accessibility from NYC. Places from NYC include Boston, Providence, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Jersey Shore, Long Island, the Poconos, the Catskills, the Adirondacks, and probably some places I'm forgetting to mention.

Also, though, yes to Chicago having to defend itself far more than most other places. People that have never been just assume it's a warzone 24/7 and there's nothing nice about it. I've never even lived there, but I love the city and get really annoyed when people think such negative thoughts about the city. The construction boom and attractiveness of the north and west sides is beyond impressive and I've read various articles of how CTA is doing much better about preparing and repairing itself compared to MTA.
Yours was an excellent post and I really liked what you aaid, but I found tour ovservation on deep dish oizza unacceptable and I expect a retraction. Before midnight.

Yours was a great post l

Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Yours was an excellent post and I really liked what you aaid, but I found tour ovservation on deep dish oizza unacceptable and I expect a retraction. Before midnight.

Yours was a great post l
I love deep dish, don't worry. But there's pizza and then there's deep dish pizza. Clearly two different things

Honestly, if Chicago was on the east coast, I'd live there, weather and perceived crime issues included. The only reason I usually see Chicagoans being overly defensive is when people try to claim it's basically an open-air shooting range of humans or that the city's population loss obviously means the city sucks. If you're ignorant and don't look into the details, on the surface, those are two big issues. But the issues go much deeper than that surface level and ignorant people need to be called out on their ignorance. That's a far different type of defensiveness than I've seen from other city residents on here or in person.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
This^^ No city in this forum feels the need to defend itself more than Chicago. So embarrassing sometimes. It's the classic, "What about me??" syndrome.
Definitely understand what you're talking about and agree, although I think sometimes the situation is a bit more complicated as far as where people are coming from.

For me it really changed after around 2009 or 2010. With Obama being from Chicago I noticed it went from just a city in the USA to much more of a punching bag. I went back and forth finding it anything from humorous to annoying. For the right the city started to be a vision of everything wrong with the world. Since then it's been the same, and Trump has definitely railed on the city and bashed it countless times. It seems to stand for something in their eyes more than actual Chicago, but it's a vision of the left and a chaotic craphole and nothing more. Just a simple speaking point.

All you tend to hear from people who don't really care about the city or know anything about it is constant talking points about budget issues, crime and taxes. A city losing population and in steep decline.

The reason people are defending it is more just that it can be confusing to live here and hear nothing but how you're the next Detroit and a pile of crap, but then you wander around the city and your head turns to the side confused because you see dozens of highrises and construction going on everywhere year after year. Tens of thousands of new residential units over the past few years and over 100,000 new jobs downtown since around 2012. I think people on here defending it tend to be responding to others who live here, more a little wink and head nod like - no you're not crazy, things are changing quick and in many ways for the better. The civic and built environment advances the past few years especially really are impressive and surprising, but for people who aren't from here it's almost like you aren't allowed to talk about that. Only that "everything sucks'.

I think if the city stopped being this image that's always used by the far right as to everything wrong in America people would stop defending the city as they do. Most of the things said about the city are focused only on the negative, don't really have any other meaning other than to bash the city, and many times are grossly exaggerated or overly gloom and doom.

When you're actually IN the city of Chicago there's almost ZERO defending of the city, people are extremely critical of everything going on here, but at the same time people who live here love the city for everything that comes with it and are realistic about it. It's only when total strangers hundreds of miles away start whining about everything that people will roll their eyes and say how it's not as bad as you would like to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City