Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 AM

22 posts, read 24,390 times

Advertisements

Assuming the same income, and living in a nice part of town.... which metro offer the higher quality of life, Phoenix or Orlando? Any perspectives or experiences are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:07 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
I have been to Phoenix and Orlando many times and briefly lived in Orlando. They're actually both great areas. But I personally like Orlando better. I found there to be much more to do that interested my family and me. The Tampa Bay area and beaches are close by. I prefer tropical over desert. If you're assuming same income, I'd go with Orlando. Their buying power (wages vs. cost of living) is better. It's pretty much personal preference, but I like Orlando better.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:37 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
City of Orlando has a much, much higher quality of life in my opinion. The city of Orlando is far nicer then the city of Phoenix.

The suburbs I would say are about equal quality of life as Metro Phoenix certainly has some great suburbs.

Orlando has lush parks and lakes all over the core of the city. It is an extremely, extremely clean city also. The people are far friendlier and polite also. They have dense tree canopies also which is really enjoyable. The city was not polluted at all as for some reason Florida cities tend to have good air quality.

The city of Phoenix just in general could do so much better. There is a huge homeless population and the city just ignores helping the homeless and they also ignore the unsanitary conditions in many of the parks.

Except for some extremely expensive areas where people pay three times the price just for some good tree coverage, many of the homes have gravel yards because of the cost of watering them constantly. The city of Phoenix also has horrific air quality at times, except near downtown Phoenix. Occasionally, some of the worst air quality in the entire country if it hasn't rained in months and no wind for a long time.

There is no premium to live in a lush neighborhood of Orlando because they are tropical and lush. Phoenix the sky is the limit on housing costs to live in an area with some good tree coverage.

The smell of Orlando is a smell of lushness. The city of Phoenix has many areas that have an industrial smell mixed with dirt. Some of the suburbs of Phoenix though have lush suburbs because of the home owners associations doing all they can to keep in green with fake lakes, lots of flood irrigation and large budgets so flowers and foilage.

People in Phoenix pay three times the cost per square foot just to live in an area with more trees called Arcadia and even that is not impressive at all except for the larger lot sizes. People in Orlando pay no real estate premium for a lush yard or neighborhood.

A book could written on how much better Orlando's neighborhoods are than Phoenix's. Orlando has a huge tax base with all the tourism in the city itself which means excellent public services and a well-run city. Phoenix has huge pension liabilities and huge budget issues and extremely low quality services.

Orlando proper just seems so much better managed than Phoenix. Orlando also likely has a huge general fund budget per-capita because of the amount of tourism. Very few tourists come to Metro Phoenix for Phoenix, they come mainly for the eastern suburbs.

Phoenix does have great suburbs. I only went to a few suburbs of Orlando in Osceola County but they seemed less appealing then Phoenix suburbs.

Orlando: Great city proper and middle-of the road suburbs.

Phoenix: Most of the city itself is high-undesirable with extremely low quality management and lots of social problems like widespread homelessness. Great suburbs though with extremely high quality of life and lots of amenities for all like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale and Peoria.

Phoenix has higher home prices in general but rents are much lower in Phoenix.

I would say economically they are similar. Phoenix likely has a slightly higher household incomes than Orlando, but Phoenix residents tend to have large families so on a per-capita basis Orlando has a higher per-capita income.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rida/PST040217

Seems like Orlando has had a large influx of renters so the rents have skyrocketed. A majority of people who move to metro Phoenix are likely looking for a home to purchase so there seems to be more pressure on single-family home prices rather than rents.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 01-25-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Phoenix for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City