Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you prefer?
St. Louis 89 44.50%
Charlotte 111 55.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
While it is a personal taste thing, I don't know if I agree with this. I'm an urbanist, maybe not purely so, but I love cities with widespread urban form. I'm not sure of any reasons I'd take St Louis over Charlotte, as Charlotte has much of what St Louis offers in some form or fashion, and is growing into a bigger deal today...

For these two particularly, it would probably come down to where I think is the best option to raise my black children. All other things being close to equal or tit for tat, St Louis is not even close to Charlotte in this metric. This isn't to suggest that all blacks would choose Charlotte or that you can't be black and live comfortable in St Louis--clearly you can--, but Charlotte is in a different zone here. There is a very select few cities I'd be willing to settle for a little lesser volume of widespread black prosperity, health, and growth--St Louis isn't large enough, and on the whole, the difference between what it offers and what Charlotte offers just isn't vast enough to make me put St Louis on that pedestal...

I'm only speaking for me, though...
Very interesting. I was talking about this yesterday. I was telling a friend that if I was married with children, I would not have moved back to St Louis. There are better options for Black families now days.

At the same time. There are great places and many options for Black families to thrive in St Louis in all areas of life but I don't know I would choose it over Charlotte. This is a hard one for me based on my experience living in both cities. There is a negative vibe coming from Black St. Louis that I wouldn't bring a family into. Black Charlotte tends to have a positive vibe to it that I preferred. But there again, the recent riots and other issues in Charlotte makes me pause a little with this thought. If we where talking Houston, Dallas or DC the answer would be clearly not St. Louis.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 02-01-2018 at 01:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
If you like classically urban scrappy old cities packed with historic red-brick architecture, established cultural amenities and plenty of baggage, St. Louis is for you. If prefer shiny, new suburban style cities that look better on paper, Charlotte is for you.
Allow me to give a better description of Charlotte:

"If you prefer a shiny, new, Sunbelt city with lots of transplants and an energetic vibe that's forward-looking, Charlotte is for you."

Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Very interesting. I was talking about this yesterday. I was telling a friend that if I was married with children, I would not have moved back to St Louis. There are better options for Black families now days.

At the same time. There are great places and many options for Black families to thrive in St Louis in all areas of life but I don't know I would choose it over Charlotte. This is a hard one for me based on my experience living in both cities. There is a negative vibe coming from Black St. Louis that I wouldn't bring a family into. Black Charlotte tends to have a positive vibe to it that I preferred. But there again, the recent riots and other issues in Charlotte makes me pause a little with this thought. If we where talking Houston, Dallas or DC the answer would be clearly not St. Louis.
I was living in the Charlotte area (still have our home there and was raised there) when the riots were going on. When the curfews were set, the Charlotte PD stated that 78% of the one's they carded were not even from the Carolinas. Just like what's shown up in other parts of the nation during riots, it's outsiders going into cities and creating the unrest. Charlotte and its surrounding areas get along VERY well racially. I'd venture to say, better than most places in the U.S.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I was living in the Charlotte area (still have our home there and was raised there) when the riots were going on. When the curfews were set, the Charlotte PD stated that 78% of the one's they carded were not even from the Carolinas. Just like what's shown up in other parts of the nation during riots, it's outsiders going into cities and creating the unrest. Charlotte and its surrounding areas get along VERY well racially. I'd venture to say, better than most places in the U.S.
That is the thing with civil unrest. The act itself is not a reflection on the city. The problem is why where there protests (not rioting but protests)? The answer can be found in most cities even when there was no unrests.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 AM

655 posts, read 2,182,743 times
Charlotte. Almost by default, as STL just does not appeal to me. But, truthfully, Charlotte has a lot going on for it as a booming city, and I'd be happy to live there.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
It’s Charlotte for me nothing against St Louis. Charlotte being close to the ocean and mountains and beautiful countryside is pretty appealing and for me and while I enjoy my trips to St Louis and the people there it’s just too remote and stagnant.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is the thing with civil unrest. The act itself is not a reflection on the city. The problem is why where there protests (not rioting but protests)? The answer can be found in most cities even when there was no unrests.
And, what would the answer to that unrest be??

Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,247 times
I would prefer St. Louis. I think it's a VERY underrated city.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:39 AM

I am not surprised that this is a close survey. They are both great places but very different.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:11 PM

239 posts, read 231,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Criteria

quality of life
economy
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
transportation
overall vibe
crime rate
quality of life - STL
economy - Charlotte
nightlife - Tie (both bad)
scenery - Tie (both bad)
daytime activities/events - STL
shopping/entertainment venues - STL
transportation - STL
overall vibe - STL
crime rate - Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City